• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone Else Find This Ironic?

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
That Nintendo's the only company right now to have games that are the highest-rated this year (Mario Kart 8, SSB4 for the Wii U, & Bayonetta 2 (I could be wrong on this)) despite being on a console that not many people bought while being the least sold? Not to mention their games aren't buggy & unplayable messes compared to Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, Assassin's Creed: Unity, & Halo: Master Chief Collection? And their 2015 line-up?

And gamers hate Nintendo because of these things. :/

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Nintendo has this stigma that they're naught but a "kids' console". Sadly, that stigma could persist for years longer at this rate. What exacerbated matters further is lack of third party support, especially since most developers want to make the most photo-realistic game in terms of graphics more than anything else, which is something Nintendo's console cannot achieve at the moment (and neither can PS4 and Xbox One, though they're damn closer than Nintendo).

I will always be a loyal fan of Nintendo, because they do treat their games with love and respect more so than any other company I can think of. Still, I plan on getting a PS4 anyway for the games that developers can't and/or won't release on the Wii U.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
Nintendo has this stigma that they're naught but a "kids' console". Sadly, that stigma could persist for years longer at this rate. What exacerbated matters further is lack of third party support, especially since most developers want to make the most photo-realistic game in terms of graphics more than anything else, which is something Nintendo's console cannot achieve at the moment (and neither can PS4 and Xbox One, though they're damn closer than Nintendo).

I will always be a loyal fan of Nintendo, because they do treat their games with love and respect more so than any other company I can think of. Still, I plan on getting a PS4 anyway for the games that developers can't and/or won't release on the Wii U.
There's definitely the sad fact that the Wii U still doesn't have the best third party support along with the error code scare. And like you, I'm still hoping to get a PS4 someday because I still want to play some good third party games like KH3 (the Wii U won't have this game sadly). I'll still play Nintendo's games just as long as they keep giving me the good stuff.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I could care less about Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. At least this year has had some games that were worth the wait for the 3DS and Wii U.

finalark

SNORLAX
What do you expect? It's the Nintendo cycle. Nintendo releases a new console, everyone bashes it. Suddenly, they start taking a liking to the previous console and treat it as this holy grail of gaming with countless overlooked gems and are genuinely surprised that they missed so many high quality games. All while continuing to talk crap about whatever Nintendo's current offerings are.

This happened with the N64, the GCN and in a few years I expect to see the Wii get similar treatment.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What do you expect? It's the Nintendo cycle. Nintendo releases a new console, everyone bashes it. Suddenly, they start taking a liking to the previous console and treat it as this holy grail of gaming with countless overlooked gems and are genuinely surprised that they missed so many high quality games. All while continuing to talk crap about whatever Nintendo's current offerings are.

This happened with the N64, the GCN and in a few years I expect to see the Wii get similar treatment.
The wii is already quite praised though.

Flakk

Smash Rookie
I think it's closer the stigma of Nintendo's consoles being the weakest (Gamecube packed quite a punch though) and the fact that they often make at least one decision that's a bit odd to say the least (N64 still having Cartridges, Gamecube games using Minidiscs, Wii having no HD support/Everything about Friend Codes etc.) that causes initial derision, oh and most gaming magazines/wesbites either having a dudebro or pretentious (Looking at you, Edge) outlook on games and as such Nintendo gets the most negative press. The casual stuff comes from most hardcore games (On the Wii U, at least) being Japanese style hardcore games such as W101, Bayo 2, Devil's Third and Monhun while most people think of the western style hardcore games like GTA, Uncharted, Halo, Ratchet and Clank(?) and Ass Creed

I'm surprised you didn't mention both the DS and the 3DS, both of them were considered jokes and inevitable failures for ages and now I more often than not see the rival handheld consoles get mocked instead while people go on about the sheer size and quality of their libraries.

Last edited:

Earthbound22

Smash Rookie
NNID
NicWiiU
Who cares? While they're sitting there pretending to have fun with their glitchfests we can enjoy the best of modern gaming. Nintendo's not going bankrupt, we will still have new games, and they're the ones missing out.

Sir_Zedd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sir_Zedd
the Wii introduced this massive casual market to gaming but when the Wii U came out they had already moved on to whatever console has Call of Duty or Battlefield and Nintendo was left advertising to a market that doesnt exist anymore which gave the Wii U a pretty miserable start.

I agree, the best games are right here on Wii U, the casual/hipster crowd are only interested in the next brown and bloom shooter unfortunately. Atleast we get to enjoy them though!

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I agree, the best games are right here on Wii U, the casual/hipster crowd are only interested in the next brown and bloom shooter unfortunately. Atleast we get to enjoy them though!
Sadly, I'm starting to see the Wii U as more of a wasted potential to hopefully having games that are not made by Nintendo be available on there & not on other consoles. Seriously, I just want more third party games released for it. Nintendo's not giving me anything concerning the Wii U's awful lack of third party support.

Not to mention, some of Nintendo's recent games are huge disappointments for me with the exception of Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, & Hyrule Warriors.

Stymie@Epic

Smash Rookie
I think a lot of gamers focus way too much on the numbers game. Yes at the parts level the Wii U might be an inferior machine but I feel that time and time again Nintendo has proven that they can work wonders because their systems are well put together and well programed. I have CoD:Ghosts for Wii U and while the online play community is lacking I think the game looks just as good as its PS4/XBONE counterparts.

deadcult

Smash Cadet
Work, College, and the rest of my time trying to divide between friends and family, I really don't and can't play that many games a year. So the Wii U is the perfect console for me. I sometimes envy the people that can spend hours a day blowing through game after game.

Top Bottom