• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else feel MK is underrated?

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
I feel like he's pretty up there tbh and definitely way underrated.. There's just so much he can do that other characters can't. Seeing as no one knows how to deal with him because they don't see him as a threat, it's even better.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Well whenever I see an MK on a stream they seem to get a lot of respect. I think he fits at high mid tier. He can have a hard time approaching due to his low range and what not, but I think he gets plenty of respect

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Lol I see nothing but hate and players not knowing what the hell he can do on stream,youtube,reddit and even here. Same goes for commentators not knowingwhat the MK is doing. I embraced the lack of acknowledgement he gets since people don't know how to fight him, even if they learn it MK has such a solid ground game that he won't suffer from people knowing about his playstyle. Unlike other characters that become weak when they're figured out.

Before the top tiers got nerfed I said he was high tier and my mind hasn't changed , he'll forever remain mid or low tier because A people don't research his results which is a big **** you to the people who solo main him and B not many people use him and tbh not many use him well and finally C he doesn't appear on big time streams where the most casual of players can see him, when Ito went up against ZeRos falcon his lime light came and went .

Its annoying how brawl MK gets spoken more than Sm4sh MK. I see little respect towards MK and I doubt it'll change. At this point i'm used to it and pay no mind to those who talk about him negatively(funny cuz they don't main him, if you wanna claim that he's mediocre use him at a decent level).

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
He's got a good toolkit and has been fortunate enough to get helped or left alone by the balance patches while many of the stronger characters get rebalanced. Too many folks just have a combined sour taste over his dominance in Brawl and obvious nerfs in the game, so he gets looked down on a bit sometimes. I think he is a fundamentally solid character design, and even with out all the absurdities of his Brawl incarnation he is absolutely still competitive. I feel like we will gradually see more of him on the scene as people start to realize what he's capable of. Probably going to land at the lower limits of regularly-encountered viable characters, high-mid or maybe low-high someday.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
At this point, I feel Meta Knight is a solid mid tier character. His poor hit boxes and range, combined with the high risk to a lot of his special moves hurt him badly, plus his light weight doesn't help matters. But he doesn't have any horrible moves like some characters, his up special is one of the best up specials in the game, he has multiple jumps, and disjointed hitboxes that out prioritize a lot of moves. With the best characters in the game nerfed to the extent they were in both balance patches, his viability continues to improve and I feel we'll be seeing more of him in the future.

Last edited:

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
MK definitely has some poor range but you have to understand he's not a sword character he's a dagger character lol. Some character like Mario don't exactly have anymore range than he does, yet they still do perfectly fine.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
MK definitely has some poor range but you have to understand he's not a sword character he's a dagger character lol. Some character like Mario don't exactly have anymore range than he does, yet they still do perfectly fine.
Well Mario has a projectile and a reflector so that kinda makes up for it. Smash 4 has a lot of niche characters that appeal to certain crowds which is really cool because it makes a for a more diverse meta game.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Lol I see nothing but hate and players not knowing what the hell he can do on stream,youtube,reddit and even here. Same goes for commentators not knowingwhat the MK is doing. I embraced the lack of acknowledgement he gets since people don't know how to fight him, even if they learn it MK has such a solid ground game that he won't suffer from people knowing about his playstyle. Unlike other characters that become weak when they're figured out.

Before the top tiers got nerfed I said he was high tier and my mind hasn't changed , he'll forever remain mid or low tier because A people don't research his results which is a big **** you to the people who solo main him and B not many people use him and tbh not many use him well and finally C he doesn't appear on big time streams where the most casual of players can see him, when Ito went up against ZeRos falcon his lime light came and went .

Its annoying how brawl MK gets spoken more than Sm4sh MK. I see little respect towards MK and I doubt it'll change. At this point i'm used to it and pay no mind to those who talk about him negatively(funny cuz they don't main him, if you wanna claim that he's mediocre use him at a decent level).
It's different here in Michigan. People have a higher opinion of MK here and recognize he's better than he appears to be. I still suprise people regularly though. Its awesome.

Also, MK is definitely underated and viable. It's difficult playing him at higher levels though because you need to be that much smarter to get in when your opponent realizes that we only have a few go-to options for approaching. But once you get in and get those punishes and momentum...man oh man.

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I would say that Meta Knight is a pretty good character. He's one of my mains and I do really well with him. However, it's best to play very patiently with him. If you rush in and blindly attack or play him like Brawl MK, then you're gonna get torn a new one. Other than that, he's pretty cool! :)

Zeriora

Smash Apprentice
Considering MK is my main, when used well, his easily top tier with sheik, and zero suit, he has great combos, good early kills and good damage. Only flaw he has is no projectiles, so he has to rely on being close range.

VeteranUnderdog

Smash Rookie
NNID
VeteranUnderdog
3DS FC
3110-7027-9609
My biggest problem with MK is his seriously lacking damage and hitbox range. I gave up using him as a secondary because it just didnt feel rewarding to play him.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
My biggest problem with MK is his seriously lacking damage and hitbox range. I gave up using him as a secondary because it just didnt feel rewarding to play him.
Guess you don't know optimal combos, find a different secondary if you cant get good damage out of your moves.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Mach Tornado on average does 18-21%. His combos usually average 20%+. Considering that most characters die around 80-110% to Meta Knight, this should not feel like underwhelming damage.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I'm a MK main, and I feel he's very underrated. Since his nerf, everyone thinks he's not good anymore. I HAVE to disagree. I think MK is actually a very good character.

OhLookItsLuka

Smash Rookie
Eventhubs currently has him as second least popular and last on the tier list.. Last time I saw this, DK was at the bottom.. Yes, I think he's very, VERY underrated. That or Eventhubs sucks. Or Both, both sounds like the better decision.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Eventhubs currently has him as second least popular and last on the tier list.. Last time I saw this, DK was at the bottom.. Yes, I think he's very, VERY underrated. That or Eventhubs sucks. Or Both, both sounds like the better decision.
EventHubs probably does suck. Especially when you can see where they place characters...

-Luigi is much lower than Mario. Should be higher.
-Mewtwo is number 10, yet we've only got one month with him in evolving the metagame.
-Little Mac is too low. I guess they haven't seen something called a ''Good Mac''.
-Donkey Kong should be so much higher
-They place Link and Shulk over Diddy Kong. That makes me think that the nerf was so major he's not S anymore. Well, if not, he still belongs in A.
-They place Dark Pit very slightly over Pit. However, Pit is better. Arm and Ftilt, that is.
And many more that I could say. But the one that triumphs over all this:

-They say he's the worst. Wait, what?

Yeah, they truly do suck. I believe they just don't play with him at all and therefore think he's bad. But that's not true at all. He's actually really good, good enough for B/B-.

I guess I can understand. Once he got nerfed, everyone thought he was bad. Because people still think of this and pretty much ignore the character, we haven't got barely as many MK mains to evolve the metagame, compared to a character that's super overrated, just like falcon (those people are annoying). With falcon, there's TONS of people playing him on for glory. Sad that he's so overrated that they don't really care.

If you ever see a MK on FG, it'll probably be a good one. It could be a player who thought MK was still OP. But, seriously, how many MK mains have you seen on FG? I've seen... NONE that are good, around the 500 matches I've played. They're rare, so underrated.

One more thing: The underrated-ness of Meta Knight is sort of a good thing for when players use him, like myself. Take for example the Falcon thing I said: You've seen falcons on FG, right? Well, you probably know what they're going to do. They always use dash grab and dash attack, and try to get combos. Of course that's what's going to happen, because many aren't actually very good with him.

Thing for MK is, if you encounter a good MK, do you know what's going to happen? Because if rarely ever see any good ones, your strategy may surprise them. I feel like that's why I usually main characters that are B to B+, sometimes A, but I don't use rushdown characters. Unpredictability.

I really wish :4metaknight: got more attention. Don't you?

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Nope. I love that we're underrated. Sleep on my character and then I get to watch the priceless look on your face when you die at 40 to my D Throw > Up Air chain > Shuttle Loop. Totally worth it.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
All the Meta Knight players I've fought on For Glory mode were really bad. There's one guy I played against for about an hour one night who was probably the worst Meta Knight player I've ever played. There where at least three games where he started the match running toward me, side special, then die. He was just absolutely awful in the most hilarious of ways. He also played Greninja a lot and I've never seen a Greninja player suicide so much in my life. There were a lot of matches where I didn't take a stock off of him because he managed to take out both of his stocks himself. I think there was only one game in that whole hour where he managed to take one stock away from me and I was probably screwing around. lol

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I was at Comic Con in Philly the other day and entered a 70 man tournament with MK. There were about 5 other MKs which astonished me until I realized that a quarter of the tournament was comprised of casuals. Anyways, there was one game where I was watching a casual MK against a casual Falcon and I'm almost certain I didn't see the MK use a single one of his A-moves. What made it even more hilarious was that he was able to take a game off the Falcon in the set.

And me? Well... I made it to grand finals against a Diddy and it was down to us both left with 1 stock on game 3 where I had a 100%+ lead. I was hanging on the ledge and the Diddy started charging a downsmash for some reason. I thought it would be an easy win if I just jump off the ledge and use Dimensional Cape to punish and get the kill, but for whatever reason when I held towards Diddy after I teleported I ended up coming out in the complete opposite direction I held in, causing me to SD and lose the entire Grand Finals set.

The TO forced us to use GameCube controllers which most people are fine with, but I'm used to the pro controller now due to the shortage of official adapters. They supplied the controllers too and they were pretty janky PDP controllers. And if that weren't enough everyone had to chose a character they would stick with the whole way through, the only legal stages were FD and BF, and worst of all you couldn't make a name with controls on it which meant EVERYONE WAS STUCK WITH TAP JUMP ON.

I hate tap jump with MK because every time I wanted to follow up with Fullhop U-air after a Dash attack I would end up pressing jump and then flicking the control stick up and would cancel my Fullhop into a Double jump. I had to get used to jumping and pressing the C-stick which would cancel my momentum becasue we couldn't set the C-stick to attack which is a bad idea to begin with when you play Meta Knight...

And I got a lot of flack from the casuals who said I was a tier ***** for using Meta Knight... like... I can't even. Brawl is like, 8 years old now? Don't people get with the times?

But all the more skillful players were congratulating me for playing an underrated character.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
That sounds like a tournament from hell. I wouldn't have even bothered entering that, but congrats on second place. Also, lol @ people calling you a tier ***** for using a Meta Knight in Smash 4 against Diddy Kong. It's like they have no decent perception of Smash 4's top characters. Considering how Eventhubs hilariously lists Meta Knight at the bottom of the tier list, I would think more people who have a stupid perception of the tiers would not react that way considering how he's such an underrated character.

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I'm not a competitive player, and I never understood how people thought Metaknight was unfair to use in Brawl because I sucked with him... but then I learned via Youtube how exactly people were exploiting his strengths to a point that he was no longer a fair character to use.

NOW, he's nerfed, and the people who used to exploit his unfair advantages aren't willing to learn to use him as a FAIR character. I think it's a shame... just because he's no longer way too overpowered doesn't mean he's not a viable option for competitive or casual play.

(Luckily for me, I like using him more now than I did in Brawl because I always seem to veer away from the characters EVERYONE loves... needless to say I don't use Rosalina or Diddy very often...)

Top Bottom