• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else feel like short hops are too easy in this game?

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Short ups being easy might sound like a good thing, but I constantly find myself short hopping when I don't even want to short hop, which results in blown strings. I feel like I have to actually think about how long i'm pressing the button in order to hold it long enough for a normal jump. Maybe it's the pro controller. I haven't played this game with a gamecube controller yet, so I don't know how that feels. Anyone else notice this, or is it just me?

B33b3

Smash Rookie
I think it's just easy to short hop with the pro controller. I also use one and I've noticed it's fairly easy to do. Also, some characters are just flat out easier to short hop with as well because of just natural jump height and weight.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm... Not really, but since I don't own the Wii U version, I can't really say. Short hops were always normal to me starting with Brawl or maybe Melee - I don't remember much of Melee. It might be because I've played other games where short hopping was something you sort of had to do or could do. Eh, it might be just you.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Feels the same for me on all three control methods I've used for any length of time (Gamecube, Pro, and 3DS). I could understand it being kinda odd to get used to the different tactile feedback from the different buttons (or the joystick if you use tapjump, but I don't).

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
No I don't think it too easy, feels the same just like in the pass smash games too me.

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Maybe on some of the Wii U specific controllers I could see what you mean, but using a gamecube controller it just feels normal.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I sometimes do this too, but just because I've only recently made the switch away from tap jumping. Just don't release the button so quick (or at all) when intending to full jump. I can understand if you are tap jumping and need to stop inputting upwards so you can Nair, though.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
Still can't get it down on any controller but the Classic Controller.

Then again, that is the only controller I use on For Glory...

Inazuma

Smash Cadet
NNID
inazuma65
We should be able to configure our controls to have dedicated short hop and normal jump buttons. I don't know why Sakurai never thought of it. There are more than enough buttons on the controller. Personally I have four buttons set to jump.

Top Bottom