• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

anyone else enjoy maining low tiers?

LaneTip

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2681-5082-7443
so I main Zelda because she's fun, I know she's low tier trash, but I have fun with her. am I the only one who has never thought to pick up a high tier like bayo, cloud, or diddy?

Sobayaki

Smash Rookie
If you have no intention to go competitive, then maining low tiers don't seem to bad. But even in casual play, winning still feels good, so probably give yourself the experience to try out a top tier because you might find a character that fits your playstyle.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
I main Mr. Game & Watch. Even if he is low, I still love to sabotage other players with him!

iCrash

Smash Cadet
In general, I think there really isn't anything wrong with wanting to main a low tier.
Smash is fun, but if you try to main a character you do not enjoy, then it can be a real struggle to remain motivated to continue playing. If you REALLY like a low tier, you shouldn't feel like you have to main a high tier. Winning is fun, but if you don't enjoy the game that win feels hollow and unsubstantial in comparison.

Now, I do think people should try out some characters (particularly if they main a low tier) to learn and improve. For example, in melee I LOVE Zelda, she is fun and has a lot of flashy (albeit bad) moves, but she also has TERRIBLE movement and a bad grab. I come from the Rivals of Aether community, where movement mechanics are a bit different and grabs are nonexistent, so while I LOVE Zelda, I currently main Marth because Marth forces me to get good at the things I'm not used to, while still being able to utilize some of the more spacing oriented aspects of Zelda that I like.

But you know what? I still love Zelda, and just because I main a high tier doesn't mean I can't bust out Zelda once in a while or in specific matches, and there isn't anything wrong with wanting to do that for any character in any game. You shouldn't feel like you have to abandon a character you like just to have a good chance of winning, but if that is the case then you also can't blame your character for any losses. You made the choice to play a character that you love, and while them being bad isn't your fault, it is something you just have to learn to deal with.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
I always main the character I have the most fun with, which creates the motivation for me to get better. In Brawl I mained a high tier, in Smash 4 a bottom tier and in Smash 5 I will main Paper Mario (if he hopefully gets in). My main of choice isn't due to tiers, but rather, which I have the most fun with. The day I pick a character that will be top tier is the day I have hit the jackpot. (I hope Paper Mario will be that jackpot because I have wanted to main him since Brawl, but he never makes the cut for some reason unfortunately.)

FINNTHEGREAT

Smash Rookie
NNID
FINNTHEGREAT
Switch FC
SW 0590 7208 0815
If I am looking to just have some fun in Smash 4, I will pull out Ganon or Duck Hunt. I played a lot of Brawl when I was about 13, and never knew about tiers. I just played whatever character suited me, which is why I stuck with Lucas.

HelloSpy

Smash Cadet
I personally like Bowser Jr., so I main him. Maybe it's fun for some people because the feeling of beating a high-tier character when you are low-tier. For me, I just was able to get used to his moves best and he's also one of my favorite Nintendo characters.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Oh heck yes I do. I only main or pick up characters that are C tier or lower, with the exception of Lucina, Pikachu, Mario, and Greninja.

Top Bottom