• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody find you have to be a little creative to be good with Link?

Hizi

Smash Rookie
Link just cant run up to someone and unleash attacks as opposed to someone like Shiek or Fox. I am a Link player and I almost always have to find a way to set someone up for attacks. Anyone else agree?

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
hes become a trapping character, which I think is fun to play

I have an overabundance of creativity so I work well with link

TANORI

Smash Journeyman
Aurashade you are so wrong, it requires a lot of creativity, you need to set them up with projectiles and then hit them with the sword, all the combos are born of creativity.

WR3K

Smash Ace
aurashade, level 9s have the "speed and reflexes" that humans could never achieve... yet we beat them.

creativity, adaptability, prediction.... it is what makes humans better (in this game so far)

Turbowombat

Smash Rookie
Link was my old main and is again because he feels like a control freak and puzzle solver. When you truly out think someone you drag them around the stage and toss them into bombs and truly shame any attempt they make to hit you. But in competitive tournies he feels sluggish and unresponsive if the person can adapt and counter quickly. But on several occassions I would astound a wavedashing marth master by beating them with a so-called "low tier" solely because I could out think the predictable strategies inherent in characters with a lot of melee power.

Because of this, Link feels like the most rewarding character to me because when you dominate the stage with him you truly dominate the whole stage and all of your opponents actions, even if the person you're playing is really good. Overall he deserves his low tier status but will always be my fav underdog. If enough people master Link, we may not even need tiers.

brentlouis

Smash Journeyman
why do you all think that 3/4 of Link'smoveset are projectiles, Link is all about keeping range and using the correct projectiles at the correct times and out prdicting your opponent

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Aurashade you are so wrong, it requires a lot of creativity, you need to set them up with projectiles and then hit them with the sword, all the combos are born of creativity.
oh **** you, there's no creativity to pressing buttons, and they equaled most characters out on a set basis level so much that combo's with repeated hits that aren't registered by the game are extremely hard, no creativity involved (probably because Skler or I invented them already god shut up you worthless fools). Also, you don't "hit them with the sword," because if you didn't notice (you probably didn't with your lack of common sense), Link has no approach at all (thus resulting in the other thread you made about getting killed by snake's close range attack).

Realize that I'm right, and have much more experience with this game than you do.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
aurashade, level 9s have the "speed and reflexes" that humans could never achieve... yet we beat them.

creativity, adaptability, prediction.... it is what makes humans better (in this game so far)
Are you ********? If CPU's actually used all their abilities, they'd be impossible (not only that, but it DOES take a lot of memory for the game capacity to be able for them to use that).

I mean, what other than a human is going to be playing this game?

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
I agree, that's why he's no longer one of my mains. They slowed him down.
LOLWRONG

Sorry aurashade, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this, but to a margin.
Creativity is the way to go - but being over creative will get you no where.
Mindgames are a huge part of Link's game, more so than most other characters on the roster.

Creativity =/= mindgames

Then, there's whatever technical skill that remains in Brawl that's actually useful.
Then there's your ability to adapt and pull moves out at the quickest possible speed.

Anyone who fails to agree has thus failed at Link.
<3

-Nox`

DivineBlade

Smash Apprentice
I agree to this because my brother uses Marth and the speed and range of his movement and attacks are a force to be reckoned with. Especially when Link needs to raise his sword before he attacks

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
People see Link and hope to be a supreme brawler. However, top Links distinguish themselves by exploiting Link's strength: Great camping ability with hard-hitting finishers.

You can manipulate people into your hard-hitters so easily with item spams, not to mention you're quite heavy.

Lootic

Smash Apprentice
with link you have to have the guts to be a coward. You cant be that brave, STUPID, UNCRETIVE fighter cause then you are as ****ed as an marshmallow dropped in the fire and thats a fact.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Being stubborn works pretty well. All out offense is the best way to go if you can react really really fast. Shielding at the respective times of course

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Link does feel both faster and slower. His basic physical movements are slower, but without the old l-cancelling game he used to have, his air game and approaches are slower. Part of it is simply attributable to Brawl's mechanics/physics engine, but also the reduction of cancels. Though Brawl Link technically auto-cancels to a certain extent, he still seems to cling to the floor a fraction of a second longer than the old link, thereby making Link feel slower to the Melee one.

Azrai

Smash Rookie
oh **** you, there's no creativity to pressing buttons, and they equaled most characters out on a set basis level so much that combo's with repeated hits that aren't registered by the game are extremely hard, no creativity involved (probably because Skler or I invented them already god shut up you worthless fools). Also, you don't "hit them with the sword," because if you didn't notice (you probably didn't with your lack of common sense), Link has no approach at all (thus resulting in the other thread you made about getting killed by snake's close range attack).

Realize that I'm right, and have much more experience with this game than you do.

I feel compelled to reply to your drabble. You are the epitomy of an "Old school, I hate changes, married to melee player." Get over yourself, accept that it's a different game, just like melee was different from 64. And if you say that wasn't the point of your post, it might not be directly, but all you're doing is crying about how Brawl doesn't play like your good old melee. It wouldn't surprise me if you're the kind of person who holds on to his old SNES games like they were collectibles and claims that they're the pinnacle of gaming and all the new versions of the games are trash.

Let it go dude, to say that there's no creativity involved in a game is pathetic. I don't care who you are or what combo's you invented. I'll say it again, get over yourself.

~Azrai

Skler

Smash Master
You don't really need to be any more creative with Link than you do with other characters. Doing something unpredictable is always good, but most useful moves/techniques have already been found so there is little creativity. You need to play smart, not creatively.

@Azrai- I don't see why you think Aurashade is saying Melee is superior in his post. He's just saying that there isn't much creativity in Brawl (which is true), there is only smart playing.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
oh wow here's one ****ing asinine poster we got here, eh?

I feel compelled to reply to your drabble. You are the epitomy of an "Old school, I hate changes, married to melee player." Get over yourself, accept that it's a different game, just like melee was different from 64.
Not that it's any of your business, but I like brawl much better than melee. I'm not competitive, I play for fun, but maybe if you want to actually listen to yourself you might realize that I'm smarter than you in every way possible, and people agree.

And if you say that wasn't the point of your post, it might not be directly, but all you're doing is crying about how Brawl doesn't play like your good old melee. It wouldn't surprise me if you're the kind of person who holds on to his old SNES games like they were collectibles and claims that they're the pinnacle of gaming and all the new versions of the games are trash.
whoa, man, are you like, illiterate or something? I'm being serious, here, you need to learn how to read. I'm risking my neck out here for you and you give me this garbage? Listen, I never had a SNES or collectibles or whatever rubbish you're going on about, and just because you worship a piece of plastic doesn't mean everyone else does. Listen to me, I know better than you ever will, now, calmly go outside and do you see the blackish stretch of land? That's called your mother, and you're supposed to slam your head against it as hard as you can, then ketchup comes out, and you eat that. There, I just helped you get love and dinner in one shot; two things you could've never have gotten without my help.

Let it go dude, to say that there's no creativity involved in a game is pathetic. I don't care who you are or what combo's you invented. I'll say it again, get over yourself.

~Azrai
If your ward allows you to respond to this, you'll probably understand that there is no creativity in pressing buttons, I'm sorry.

One last thing-get a new avatar.

You're playing with fire, kid
~Lightshade/Aurashade/King Almighty god

Azrai

Smash Rookie
oh wow here's one ****ing asinine poster we got here, eh?

Not that it's any of your business, but I like brawl much better than melee. I'm not competitive, I play for fun, but maybe if you want to actually listen to yourself you might realize that I'm smarter than you in every way possible, and people agree.

whoa, man, are you like, illiterate or something? I'm being serious, here, you need to learn how to read. I'm risking my neck out here for you and you give me this garbage? Listen, I never had a SNES or collectibles or whatever rubbish you're going on about, and just because you worship a piece of plastic doesn't mean everyone else does. Listen to me, I know better than you ever will, now, calmly go outside and do you see the blackish stretch of land? That's called your mother, and you're supposed to slam your head against it as hard as you can, then ketchup comes out, and you eat that. There, I just helped you get love and dinner in one shot; two things you could've never have gotten without my help.

If your ward allows you to respond to this, you'll probably understand that there is no creativity in pressing buttons, I'm sorry.

One last thing-get a new avatar.

You're playing with fire, kid
~Lightshade/Aurashade/King Almighty god

hahahahaha

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Lol wtf.

Azrai, you just made a complete *** of yourself.
Welcome to Smashboards.

-Nox`

PS - Get a new avatar.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
OK aurashade I will not talk about what you did last summer.
Please don't, I have a massive reputation on this forum and I will die if anyone hears about my visit to my grandmo-whoops you almost had me!

In all seriousness, a lot of people think that I hate this forum and this game/series, I don't. I love this forum (which is why I'm so negative when I see stupid actions go unpunished) and I love smash bros. dearly. I know my posts can be negative, but if you cannot get past that fact and take my posts as helpful advice instead of flaming back (trust me, I can flame better than anyone else). You'll get more out of it that way. I play this game for fun, and mostly that.

Top Bottom