• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any way to practice teching by yourself

Saint Shaden 009

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
SAIN#490
As the name of the thread implies. I noticed today while playing at my weekly that against higher level players (not pr, but a few months ahead of me) that I'm getting combo'd all over the place and I'm not able to tech a majority of the time (from Jiggs to other Marths to Falcos). I can't practice vs people more than a couple times a week so is there any way of practicing teching solo? I have 20XX btw.

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
In 20XX, you can program the CPU in the player 2 slot to spam a move. Hold L + R and press Up on the D-pad and they will glow for a few seconds. Hold an input, like Down and A for example, and after a few seconds passes the CPU will spam that move. Also, pressing Y + Up on the D-pad will lock the maximum percentage to whatever the 2nd player's current percent is.

So for example, take Fox to Battlefield and build his damage up to like 50%. Press Y + Up on D-Pad to lock the percent then program him (L + R and Up on D-pad) to spam up smash. Walk into it a few times and your damage will freeze at 50%, meanwhile it will knock you up and you can practice teching onto platforms, F-airing out of hitstun and wavelanding, wiggling out of hitstun, among many other things. Hope this helps.

P.S Sorry it took so long to see this. I was playing a stupid game that isn't Melee :p

Last edited:

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Make sure you are deliberate with your techs. Don't just spam L/R. Generally, you want to react to the first tech opportunity as quickly as possible, but if you miss the tech (bad timing or frame trap), you can't get impatient and try to tech the next hit. You have to wait until the 20 frame cooldown is over so you can tech again.
In addition, if you know you're going to get hit, you can input a tech while you're in lag. This may help you hit those techs that are just too fast.
As far as practicing it goes, there's no real tech skill involved (all you have to do is hit a button 1/3 of a second before you hit the ground or a wall), so I would suggest simply focusing on it during friendlies until you have it down.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
@ DeadPigeon DeadPigeon I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure early tech has a 40 frame cooldown and the tech itself has a 20 frame leniency window. May be wrong, but that's what I THINK I've heard.

Sutekh

Smash Apprentice
if you know you're going to get hit, you can input a tech while you're in lag. This may help you hit those techs that are just too fast.
Pressing L or R while in hitlag doesn't initiate the tech buffer, you have to do it before hitlag starts or after it ends.

DeadPigeon

Smash Apprentice
Pressing L or R while in hitlag doesn't initiate the tech buffer, you have to do it before hitlag starts or after it ends.
Sorry for being unclear. I meant the lag from your move. In other words, the lag that caused you to get hit by your opponent. (ex, you miss a dair, hit L/R in anticipation of being punished by your opponent)

@ DeadPigeon DeadPigeon I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure early tech has a 40 frame cooldown and the tech itself has a 20 frame leniency window. May be wrong, but that's what I THINK I've heard.
40 frame cooldown total from when you hard press L or R before another press will register a tech. This means 20 frames where you will tech followed by 20 frames where you can't tech.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Sorry for being unclear. I meant the lag from your move. In other words, the lag that caused you to get hit by your opponent. (ex, you miss a dair, hit L/R in anticipation of being punished by your opponent)

40 frame cooldown total from when you hard press L or R before another press will register a tech. This means 20 frames where you will tech followed by 20 frames where you can't tech.
Okay, I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom