• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any viable controllers besides gamecube?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Le me doing my best mabel pines impression bringing my 2ds to a wii u tournament: "This'll totally blow their minds"

Le me possibly afterwards after losing every match: "what kind of sick joke is this?"

So hopefully my predicament makes sense. How do you guys think a non-gamecube controller player would fare? How did those who attend the best but event like the pro controller with the game?

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Literally anything you can play comfortably with is viable. Our region had a Brawl tourney goer who played on the wiimote with no nunchuk.

Most players are just already used to the gamecube controller. Personally I'll probably play on the Wii U Pro Controller just because I like the diamond button layout better (if only I could switch the right analog stick location to match every other controller ever made).

If you can play on a steering wheel then go for it.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Le me doing my best mabel pines impression bringing my 2ds to a wii u tournament: "This'll totally blow their minds"

Le me possibly afterwards after losing every match: "what kind of sick joke is this?"

So hopefully my predicament makes sense. How do you guys think a non-gamecube controller player would fare? How did those who attend the best but event like the pro controller with the game?
Well... having a Cstick of some sort is a huge advantage, so it can't really be argued that using a 2/3DS would be a controller equal to the GC controller for this.
The Classic Controller on a WiiMote could probably work, however the resolution of the analog sticks is rather terrible, so it's non-optimal as well.
The Wii U Controller Pro would probably be about equal, however then you have to factor in whether the tournament allows wireless controllers (some don't due to interference).

Did I miss any?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
The gamepad? How's that gonna work since you can only have one attached to a wii u at a time?

Also i remember there being an issue with wavebird controllers during melee's high point. Are there the same issues with all wireless controllers in big venues or does the fact that it's actually linked to the system make any difference?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Well... having a Cstick of some sort is a huge advantage, so it can't really be argued that using a 2/3DS would be a controller equal to the GC controller for this.
The Classic Controller on a WiiMote could probably work, however the resolution of the analog sticks is rather terrible, so it's non-optimal as well.
The Wii U Controller Pro would probably be about equal, however then you have to factor in whether the tournament allows wireless controllers (some don't due to interference).

Did I miss any?
Well... Wired Controllers are considered better for Fighting games than Wireless ones. Wireless controllers tend to have input lag that can be noticeable sometimes (especially in Street Fighter 3rd Strike) and batteries tend to die during critical moments.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Literally anything you can play comfortably with is viable. Our region had a Brawl tourney goer who played on the wiimote with no nunchuk.

Most players are just already used to the gamecube controller. Personally I'll probably play on the Wii U Pro Controller just because I like the diamond button layout better (if only I could switch the right analog stick location to match every other controller ever made).

If you can play on a steering wheel then go for it.
As far as just using a controller? Sure, they're all usable.
As far as the best controller? The Wiichuck/3DS/etc are objectively worse, if only for a lack of a Cstick (Nunchuck is not frame-perfect, so it's technically worse). Wiimote only is... well there's no Cstick, you can't DI precisely, good luck Utilting, etc. It's just plain not as good.

The gamepad? How's that gonna work since you can only have one attached to a wii u at a time?

Also i remember there being an issue with wavebird controllers during melee's high point. Are there the same issues with all wireless controllers in big venues or does the fact that it's actually linked to the system make any difference?
Wavebird controllers I have no idea about, but I know MLG (I think, it may have been EVO or something else) has a blanket ban on all wireless controllers, for example.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Well... Wired Controllers are considered better for Fighting games than Wireless ones. Wireless controllers tend to have input lag that can be noticeable sometimes (especially in Street Fighter 3rd Strike) and batteries tend to die during critical moments.
Oh my god this. I can get Project M to run on the Wii U playing Brawl just fine, but the classic controller is the only close to reasonable option to play it with. The input lag is so painfully obvious it isn't even worth playing. Not to mention the classic is so light and flimsy, it just doesn't have the muscle to stand up to the speed of inputs required for wave dashing... don't even get me started on trying to wave shine with fox.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I play with Wiichuk in Brawl and I've taken sets off well known players in Florida. You can map the Wiichuk to have the dpad function as a cstick allowing for pretty much the same use. I can also point you to Ultimate Razer who was a Brawl Snake player who used Wiichuk and placed quite high at Apex back when he played. Using a Wiichuk is fine as long as you are comfortable with it. As for the other controllers I'd say all are fine with the exception of the Wiimote by itself due to lack of buttons.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as just using a controller? Sure, they're all usable.
As far as the best controller? The Wiichuck/3DS/etc are objectively worse, if only for a lack of a Cstick (Nunchuck is not frame-perfect, so it's technically worse). Wiimote only is... well there's no Cstick, you can't DI precisely, good luck Utilting, etc. It's just plain not as good.

Wavebird controllers I have no idea about, but I know MLG (I think, it may have been EVO or something else) has a blanket ban on all wireless controllers, for example.
new 3DS's will have a C-stick. Plus they will have one more usable button than a GameCube controller (ZL).
So assuming that a player using a new 3DS is completely comfortable and has mastered the button layout, it is theoretically a "superior" controller compared to the GameCube controller due to having an extra usable button.

I'm not knocking the GameCube controller; it's actually my personal favorite. I'm simply using this as an extreme example to show that its all up to preference.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
new 3DS's will have a C-stick. Plus they will have one more usable button than a GameCube controller (ZL).
So assuming that a player using a new 3DS is completely comfortable and has mastered the button layout, it is theoretically a "superior" controller compared to the GameCube controller due to having an extra usable button.

I'm not knocking the GameCube controller; it's actually my personal favorite. I'm simply using this as an extreme example to show that its all up to preference.
From what I have read you cannot map the ZR and ZL buttons they are preset as grab and shield.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
From what I have read you cannot map the ZR and ZL buttons they are preset as grab and shield.
What?! If that turns out to be true, that's a bunch of crap.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I also fully intend on using the Wii U Pro Controller as either a primary or secondary controller.
The diamond button layout has become second nature to me after playing PM on my Wii U with a Classic Controller Pro and Smash 3DS with the (duh) 3DS button layout.

Though the GameCube controller is just so damned comfortable for Smash. It's as if it was made just for Smash!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7

If that is the case (and as long as the Circle Pad has decent fidelity, I'm honestly not too sure of this myself...) then it could be considered an equivalent or even superior controller, though it's still hampered by being wireless.

Though the GameCube controller is just so damned comfortable for Smash. It's as if it was made just for Smash!
I'm pretty sure it was, actually....

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Our region had a Brawl tourney goer who played on the wiimote with no nunchuk.
woah, wtf, lol can you really do that? I mean, I know you can, but how do you play competitveley w/just the wiimote, I thought you had to have smash keys for SDI, DACUS, etc.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

In a first hands-on impression by Kokatu, the 3DS C-stick apparently isn't the same as the Gamecube one, since flicking the 3DS c-stick is next to impossible.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
Theoretically....the Gamecube controller really is the best controller, because of the wiring(less input lag) and all the optional extra buttons.

Honestly, though, any controller that they'll allow in tournaments(so probably not Wii U gamepad) and isn't the solo Wiimote(lack of buttons) won't put you in a noticeable disadvantage.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
Play with whatever you want. I know plenty of Wiimote/Nunchuk players.The reactions from Gamecube controller users are priceless.

Top Bottom