• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips?

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Hello everyone,
I'm from Holland and I'm 14 years old. I've been playing Smash Brawl since I was eleven with a Wii Remote, so I'm really familiar with the game and it's really my favorite game of all time. Now, I've been playing with friends ever since I got the game, but we're not that good.
I watched some gameplay for Smash 4(definitely getting both on launch!) because it's the sequel of my favorite game, and found out you can actually play this game at a whole different level than I've done all this time. I'm planning to spend a lot of time with the new Smash, so I've gone back to Brawl and I'm currently trying to become better. I got myself a Classic Controller for this purpose. (I know, but I've got a Wii U and the first party adapter isn't releasing in more than 3 months).
Currently practicing with Marth, trying to learn the Ken combo. Does anyone have any tips for trying to get better at Marth or the game in general?

s_cube

Your favorite Smasher
Good evening man,
welcome on board!

I don't really know much about Brawl so I can't be of much help on that part,
but you should definitely try to get into the Dutch Smash community (which features some of the most awesome people of all time).
As for a general rule, playing people that are good at the game a lot will help you most.

(also shout out to your national team for trolling Mexico)

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Hey, thanks dude!
Didn't even know we had a Smash community :p. But sure, where should I start? And what's this about trolling Mexico xD

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hey there, Yori. Glad to have you apart of our Smash community :)

As for the Ken combo in Brawl, it really doesn't work like it does in Melee and PM, so you don't need to worry about that. What I'll do for you though is direct you to a starting guide that should prove to be quite helpful.

Getting better requires a lot of practice. It's always nice to have human opponents to play with compared to playing computers all day, so I'll also recommend checking out the Regional Zones forum to see what the scene is looking like for your area.

Unfortunately, the competitive scene for Brawl is dying out at an alarming rate, so I wish you the best. Although, I'm sure you still can find matches with people online with the community here.

Hope that you enjoy your stay here!

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the guide! I don't really intend to get too much into this specific game, since I'm switching to 4 as soon as it releases. Though I am considering getting a GameCube with melee game for 50 euros, 'cause I do love combos and such.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
That's cool, many people will be doing the same. Luckily the guide can apply to any Smash game for the most part :)

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I may skip Melee after all, since I'm way more familiar with Brawl. Plus, after reading the guide, Brawl is waaaaay more in-depth than poeple tell me :D. Man, I'm pumped for October! It'll probably be enough to get me into the series for October

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I may skip Melee after all, since I'm way more familiar with Brawl. Plus, after reading the guide, Brawl is waaaaay more in-depth than poeple tell me :D. Man, I'm pumped for October! It'll probably be enough to get me into the series for October
Brawl definitely has some depth. A lot of people downplay the game because it's not exactly enjoyable to watch and missing some things like the movement options present in Melee, but oh well.

Nice to see that you're excited!

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Oh, and by the way, when I tried to get better at COD and Naruto UNS3, it helped a lot to have some videos from good players on youtube. Do any famous Brawl players have a youtube account so I can have something to learn from? Thanks in advance, I know it'll help a lot.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Hello everyone,
I'm from Holland and I'm 14 years old. I've been playing Smash Brawl since I was eleven with a Wii Remote, so I'm really familiar with the game and it's really my favorite game of all time. Now, I've been playing with friends ever since I got the game, but we're not that good.
I watched some gameplay for Smash 4(definitely getting both on launch!) because it's the sequel of my favorite game, and found out you can actually play this game at a whole different level than I've done all this time. I'm planning to spend a lot of time with the new Smash, so I've gone back to Brawl and I'm currently trying to become better. I got myself a Classic Controller for this purpose. (I know, but I've got a Wii U and the first party adapter isn't releasing in more than 3 months).
Currently practicing with Marth, trying to learn the Ken combo. Does anyone have any tips for trying to get better at Marth or the game in general?
upload_2014-6-30_19-58-47.jpeg

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm not sure of any specific Youtube accounts, but I know as a Marth player you can look up players like Mikeneko (he's a Japanese Marth player) Mikehaze, and Mr. R (European Marth). All of those Marth players come from different parts of the world and have different styles, so take note of them. Through watching them, you'll find other pro players since they'll be their opponents. Just wanted to start you out on some Marth vids.

@ One Handed Sword One Handed Sword - The wise words from Isai. And ha ha, I see that you already had to get a name change. I felt that coming xD

Last edited:

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'm not sure of any specific Youtube accounts, but I know as a Marth player you can look up players like Mikeneko (he's a Japanese Marth player) Mikehaze, and Mr. R (European Marth). All of those Marth players come from different parts of the world and have different styles, so take note of them. Through watching them, you'll find other pro players since they'll be their opponents. Just wanted to start you out on some Marth vids.

@ One Handed Sword One Handed Sword - The wise words from Isai. And ha ha, I see that you already had to get a name change. I felt that coming xD
Sure, I'll check them out

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Welcome! I too am trying to master my craft so I wish both of us the best of luck on the Smashing road. :shades:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Welcome to the boards!
You should really look into Melee or even P:M. Once you get the tech down the combo's you pull in those are much more satisfying!

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Welcome to the boards!
You should really look into Melee or even P:M. Once you get the tech down the combo's you pull in those are much more satisfying!
Yeah, I just found out my defect Wii (that doesn't read Wii discs) works with GC games! I've still got a controller from back when I had a GameCube, I've got a Memory Card, so all I still really need is the game and an extra controller. The thing is that the game is 40 bucks on eBay, a lot more than I'd expected from a 2001 game.
Probably still going to get it though :D

Edit: Oh and I can't get P:M 'cause my game is PAL :(

Last edited:

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
Yeah, I just found out my defect Wii (that doesn't read Wii discs) works with GC games! I've still got a controller from back when I had a GameCube, I've got a Memory Card, so all I still really need is the game and an extra controller. The thing is that the game is 40 bucks on eBay, a lot more than I'd expected from a 2001 game.
Probably still going to get it though :D

Edit: Oh and I can't get P:M 'cause my game is PAL :(
Melee is pretty expensive. I found one at a Pawn Shop for like 5 though. Just gotta search. That sucks on PM dude!

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Melee is pretty expensive. I found one at a Pawn Shop for like 5 though. Just gotta search. That sucks on PM dude!
Wow then I guess I would do good to look elsewhere for a better price :o And jep, it sucks

s_cube

Your favorite Smasher
I'm pretty sure that there is a way to make P:M work without getting an actual NTSC Disc.
No idea how it is done though because I don't play pm lmao

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure that there is a way to make P:M work without getting an actual NTSC Disc.
No idea how it is done though because I don't play pm lmao
That would be great! Is it illegal though?

Yori

Banned via Warnings
I'd think so, since you'd basically be pirating the game by getting an ISO from somewhere without actually having the disc.
I'd probably need and SD card slot either way and my old Wii's slot is broken and I don't want to risk my Wii U by loading ISOs on it.
There's this Dolphin thing though. Can't I load P:M on that? My PC runs Bioshock Infinite on high and Watch Dogs on low, so I could probably run it. Are ISOs illegal when you own the game? (Which I do, twice even. One became scratched lol.)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah you can. And well, loading the disc's data onto the hard drive is fine, the problem comes from when people pirate games. It's legal if you own the game and you're the only one using it as backup. Anything else is pretty much a no-no, but of course, people get away with it all the time.

I'd advise you to look into things carefully before taking action though. Just looking out.

Top Bottom