• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any tips on using pikmin order?

Mothman

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone had any tips, or experience using Olimar's pikmin order move in terms of super armour? I feel that I'm missing out on what could possibly be a really good asset to have in certain battles. Is there actually anything useful about him having the super armour? and what are some good ways to train with it/use it?

MrHakuchu

Smash Rookie
NNID
PikminHaku
It's kinda hard to use his super armor. Because the only has Super Armor on Frame 6-12. That's not very much. I takes A LOT of practice to get the timing down, but sometime you can surprise your opponent or survive a kill move. But I would not recommend to trust this move to much. Because you can eat a heavy punish or already got one because you missed the frames. My fellow Olimar Mains can correct me if I'm wrong.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Especially multihit moves can't really be avoided with the whistle (such as Sheik Upair, Fox Upair, Greninja Upair, Ryu Upair,....) because of the tight framewindow if all the hits connect. So avoiding killmoves with it is kind of risky as well as the timing. If the enemy predicts the whistle or tries to wait for an airdodge, he'll probably also mess up your timing for the whistle. It's really situational.

The whistle isn't completely useless, but still it's tricky to really find situations, where it's better to whistle then to jump out. Whistle can be a nice option instead of an airdodge close to the ground to avoid the lag you would suffer by landing with an airdodge on the ground. By whistling instead, you avoid the attack and you can act right away on the ground. Offstage I think it could be useful to avoid a spike perhaps, but you won't get a great advantage of it neither and failing with the timing would be crucial.

meowmere

Smash Cadet
That was amazing but... seriously? you are insane jajaja good job.
Thank you! :D
Also, the super armour lasts six frames, which means one tenth of a second. In my opinion, it's not that difficult to learn the timing on it (Well, you have to take into account that the super armour doesn't activate instantly, too). With that I don't mean that it won't take a long time to practice it, but rather that it should be possible for everyone to learn if they are willing to do so.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Use it kind of like this: (recorded by me :))
Well you timed it right and it was enough to stop ness from recovering. However I would probably have thrown a pikmin with side b instead on him, because it would have shortened the recovery too while you wouldn't have to eat some percentages because of it.

meowmere

Smash Cadet
Well you timed it right and it was enough to stop ness from recovering. However I would probably have thrown a pikmin with side b instead on him, because it would have shortened the recovery too while you wouldn't have to eat some percentages because of it.
I didn't even know his recovery could be shortened by Pikmin attached to him. You learn something new everyday!

Last edited:

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Mothman Mothman Hey bro, happy to meet another old main! One thing i do to trick my opponents, (granted they have any olimar experience) is this: In order to change which pikmin goes first in the lineup simply down b while on the stage as many times as you need. For example if my line up was blue yellow purple, and i wanted my purple to be first in lineup so i could do a forward smash to kill setup without my opponent knowing, i would down b twice while on the stage. it would appear that nothing happened to my opponent but when you move/jump, the order automatically switches in the way you want it! Another example: you have yellow blue red... You have an opponent who is at 140% and is camping. You want to get a kill with a blue pikmin grab. by accident, you hit down b while on the stage three times and the blue is in the back and now your red is in the front. no need to worry, simply down b two more times and you fake out you opponent and wham!... a blue pikmin grab kill.

Hope this helps!

~1Flow

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how Pikmin Order works when it comes to ordering Pikmin?

For some reason I'm finding that sometimes it takes 1 down B to send the last Pikmin in your queue to the top and sometimes it takes 2, how come?

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
Does anyone know how Pikmin Order works when it comes to ordering Pikmin?

For some reason I'm finding that sometimes it takes 1 down B to send the last Pikmin in your queue to the top and sometimes it takes 2, how come?
This depends on the moves and speed Olimar was going/doing before using his order. The faster you are sometimes the more disoriented the Pikmin become. If you are constantly throwing pikmin (side B'ing), then it takes more time for them to regroup.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
I still don't quite understand how it works. For instance, at the start of a match (or say training mode) if I throw away all of my Pikmin before down Bing, when I try to order my new batch of Pikmin, it produces different results than if I had down Bed the initial batch. How come?

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
No, no. You are slightly confused. Overtime you throw a pikmin away and summon a new one by B'ing, i a new one appears. When you throw you pikmin away from you (not over edge killing them) it takes a few moments for them to get up and go back to you. Depending on their weight and how far you threw them, the first whistle may not always work. A second one might be required.

EternalFlare

Smash Journeyman
No, no. You are slightly confused. Overtime you throw a pikmin away and summon a new one by B'ing, i a new one appears. When you throw you pikmin away from you (not over edge killing them) it takes a few moments for them to get up and go back to you. Depending on their weight and how far you threw them, the first whistle may not always work. A second one might be required.
You misunderstood me. I'm asking something completely different.

Go into training mode. Do a down B. Then throw that batch of Pikmin offstage (kill all of them). Get a new batch of 3. Do 1 more down B. Note the order of the Pikmin now.

Now reset training mode and repeat the exact same steps as above but this time don't do the initial down B. Only 1 one down B after after getting your entirely new batch of Pikmin. You'll notice the ordering is different this time.

I have no idea why. I don't know why the new batch is being affected by how the old one was ordered.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Mmmm maybe it's because of the Down B queue in-game.

Try this in order to confirm my theory.
- Go into training mode and do your example.
- Get out of training mode and enter again, do your second example.

Post your results :)

Top Bottom