• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips on how to talk to/interact with other people at tournaments/events?

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
Soooo since I'm getting into the whole Smash scene thing now, I thought it best if I asked you guys how I should handle myself at tournaments. I mean obviously be nice and respectful to everyone, but is there any etiquette that I should know of?

I went to EVO 2016 - my most recent tournament - and, while observing people, I noticed that they all acted very familiar with each other. Like they're all friends. Which is awesome! But I'm this short girl that no one knows so I'm kinda nervous about being casual with people. Is it okay? Or should I be more formal, since no one knows me and I'm not a guy. (To be more specific on that "I'm not a guy" thing, I have brothers and they seem more awkward around girls, so I'm not sure if being casual with a guy would make him feel uncomfortable or annoyed or he wouldn't mind period.)

Thank you guys! Appreciate you! :D

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
some people are just awkward around girls and some people aren't. honestly, just be yourself and go to learn, have fun & make new friends potentially. i don't think anyone's gonna be annoyed/mind it. a lot of tournaments have a very relaxed and casual nature so you should be fine.

like yeah, there's people there to compete and improve but it's large and by far a very good social experience so you should take advantage of that.

Last edited:

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
some people are just awkward around girls and some people aren't. honestly, just be yourself and go to learn, have fun & make new friends potentially. i don't think anyone's gonna be annoyed/mind it. a lot of tournaments have a very relaxed and casual nature so you should be fine.

like yeah, there's people there to compete and improve but it's large and by far a very good social experience so you should take advantage of that.
Thanks for replying, and thanks for the reassurance. I really like the Smash community, and you're right - it's a good social experience from what I've seen so far. I guess I'll just try and see how people react when I talk to them. Hopefully I don't end up making anyone feel uncomfortable because then I'd just feel bad. Thanks again!

Envioux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Envioux
no problem, i am interested in hearing how it goes actually so please let me know!

Top Bottom