• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for an overaggressive offense?

KneeG

Smash Rookie
I find myself usually the first to attempt to attack. As a result, obviously, I get lead into traps/punishes.
I force myself to play a little more defensively but I unconsciously slide back to the aggressive mode of attacking.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might fix this? (playing with bots is 90% the culprit :c)

SAUS

Smash Ace
Try to play where you are focusing on what you think the opponent will do. Do your regular thing, but try to predict what your opponent will do based on what you are doing. Focusing on your opponent's character will put emphasis on making mindful decisions. Even if what you end up doing is still running into punishes, you can at least think about how to deal with the situations better. Eventually, this will allow you to manipulate your opponent and eliminate bad habits from your own play.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Think about it like this, the moment you have a percent advantage you no longer have any reason to approach. Once you have that advantage your opponent HAS to approach you, he has no choice. I think the tendency for players to be too aggressive is because the satisfying part of the game is beating the **** out of the other guy. But approaching isn't the only way to get to that part of the game. You can guarantee that you'll get the chance to get to the action if you realize that your opponent has to approach you.

A weird way to approach is to try to get close to your opponent without attacking. If you always attack as soon as you can get to your opponent, your opponent is going to know how you'll always approach. Variably delaying your attacks sometimes can mess up their traps they'll want to set against you. Also, staying neutral can be really good because it enables you to do things in response to your opponent's actions sooner. And ways of hurting your opponent don't have to be limited to just attacking. Sometimes grabs are the best option. Do things that are fit to counter the actions your opponent does

Last edited:

Tit0

Smash Rookie
I feel you completely man! The friends I play with sit back and jump around because they always know I will be the first to act! I've fiund the best way to counter act that is dictating where they go with my attacks and setting moves up in advance. People will either choose to fight or run its that simple. You just have to use their punish game against them if that makes sense. A lot of the times I've found power shielding works wonders when you know your opponent will try to counter you. It's all about trying to manipulate what you're opponent is doing with you're aggression and making the best opportunities out of it

D

Deleted member

Consciously focusing on mind games and making yourself seem unpredictable is a good way to stop yourself from being over aggressive :)

Top Bottom