• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any thoughts on the wii u gamepad?

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
hi, i was thinking about getting a wii u to play smash. i would like to try and play all versions (n64, melee, brawl, project m) through vwii softmods and emulators. i can currently do that with my wii right now, but i would like to play smash 4 when it is released and play the previous versions on my hdtv with minimal lag.

i saw on ebay that there were a lot of people just selling the console of the wii u *without* the gamepad. should i pony up more cash and just get a complete wii u bundle, or would i be ok just buying the console (it seems like the gamepad is worth more than the console itself :-p)? does anyone who has a wii u use their gamepad extensively? is there any reason why i should get the gamepad (maybe for a future game like mario kart or something)?

also, any experiences with the wii u pro controller and smash? i've seen people use it on youtube videos and such, but there was never extensive information about it. like does the right stick act as the gamecube controller's c-stick? if so, how does it change your play considering it's now above the standard buttons instead of below?

anyway, sorry for all the questions. i just want to be informed before i make a purchase since--for me--this is a lot of money for a "luxury" purchase (i.e. i don't really *need* it :-p). thanks in advance!!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Welcome to Smashboards! Feel free to send myself or another moderator (the dudes with the imposing red names) if you have any questions.

Ummm. I'm pretty sure you need the Gamepad. In fact, I don't think you can use the Wii U without it. Buying it without the Gamepad would be a waste of money.

Edit: Yes, you need the Gamepad in order to use the Wii U.

And this technically doesn't belong here. I'm moving this to the NintenZone.

Last edited:

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
ah, well now i feel silly (both for posting in the wrong place *and* for not knowing that the wii u's gamepad is necessary :-p), but at least now i know! thanks!

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
It would have been in the correct spot if it had more to do with Smash and the game pad but this is more of a general Wii U question with Smash as a passing mention.

No problem! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom