• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tech skill unique to roy?

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
If you're trying to look for a mario counter, i find that Marth actually has a better matchup than Roy. Not that Roy can't be mario, but the juggle weight and necessity to be closer than marth for sword sweet spots makes it harder. But to answer your question, Roy's most important necessity is mobility. A list of guidelines to follow for the way i play Roy:
  • Be able to wavedash, waveland, and stay mobile more than anything else.
  • Dtilt is the bread and butter for starting combos. Learning the exact timing of when you can cancel a dash with a crouch into a Dtilt is super important to learn for mind games and spacing.
  • Dash dancing and the grab game are a huge component for earning tech chases on your opponent.
  • Stick to the ground in a lot of situations as opposed to forcing aerials out as approaches (depends a bit on the playstyle of your opponent).
  • Fair - walling people out and zoning, also combos very well from Dtilt starters
  • Nair - I like to use as a mix up and combo finisher when i know i wont get a kill from the combo, it knocks them off the stage in most every situation.
  • Bair - exclusively used as a combo finisher and is an amazing kill move when sweet spotted (if you have a hard time with the hitbox sethlon has described it as " trying to chest bump the other character with Bair", so the hitbox is very close, practically inside Roys body frame)
  • Dair - Despite many peoples attempts to use this as a finisher, I dont find it designed for that use. The use for this is to start tech chases. Its amazing out of Dtilt in mid percents and works well when you're rising up into a platform or lowering from the platform. Additionally a rising SHFFL'ed Dair works well. (the hitbox for Dair is described as in Roy's armpit)
  • Uair - amazing for juggling. Try to get the timing to get the entire swing of the sword before fastfalling in the SHFFL. Uair>Utilt works really well in most cases when trying to string combos together at lower/mid percents.
  • for side-B DED the most useful hits are x^>> or X^^>. The third strike in upward input can spike if on the edge or start a tech chase if on the stage. Using the first hit of side-B is also great for mix ups or reversing your direction when you doing have time to turn around otherwise. Uair SHFFL's into turnaround side-B is nice. Also on note of approach canceling...Side-B works well against cancelling aerial approaches while standard jab works better on grounded approaches.
  • Overall kill moves to aim for are Fsmash, Bair, Flare blade (nB), or the good old edgehog/edgeguard.
  • In my experiences against Mario you really need to capitalize on opportunities and more importantly know when you can't keep going with a combo. Mario has very low endlag on moves and his moves come out very fast. It's easy to get caught out from random Nairs or jabs. Roy can combo mario like a mother**** if he catches mario into a combo string, but Roy can easily get bodied if he's not careful as well.
Sorry if the post is a bit lengthy. Thats the majority of the things you'd need to know for Roy (at least the way i like to play him).

Last edited:

BLUX

Smash Cadet
yeah, i knew all that stuff. i was just wondering if he had any unique tech

YaBoy

Smash Cadet
I dont think any of the sword users bar new Ike have any "unique" advanced tech int he same vein as say fox//falco//wolf with wave shining. They tend to reward good spacing, zoning, and having a game plan for each match up rather than "I'm going to run at you and hit every button on my controller so quickly Einstein's theory of relativity will be brought into question" tech skill.

I think most of you mileage in roy (and by extension marth) is going to come from understanding your fundementals, match ups, hitboxes, general movement (things like "how far can i chase off stage with nB and still be able to not die"), etc etc intuitively. For example, I've found roy really suffers in match ups where the opponent has no incentive to go in on roy's baits like samus (why try to contest sword o' seals when you can leleleleleel super missles?).

to add onto @ Azureflames Azureflames list, ftilt is amazing in match ups against other disjoint-centric characters as a spacing tool.
I'm fairly certain (and you can check the hitbox thread to prove me wrong//right) that Downsmash on roy is his fastest startup on a kill move, which makes it almost as good crouch-canceld as fox//falco's (****tier angle tho)

its not really unique, but wavebouncing/b reversing DED as a mix up in approach is sometghing i've begun to do.

Last edited:

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Like @ YaBoy YaBoy said, Roy is all about basic fundamentals and knowing limitations rather than advanced tech skill. I figured since you said you were new to picking up Roy that you might not have known all the moves uses fully so it's my bad there. Can't believe i forgot about Ftilt lol, thanks for the addition.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
A really smart tactic is dashing towards them, short hopping but before you land wavedash backwards.

They will think you will whiff out an aerial and possibly shield. If they do that, after you waveland, dash and JC Grab

Last edited:

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
I dont think roy has any unique tech it's mostly just him utlizing pre~exsisting tech in unique ways

Foo

Smash Lord
Closest thing to a "unique tech skill" I can think of is using his side-b as fast as possible, and this has very limited uses.

Kawaii-Kun

Smash Apprentice
There's a two-hit kill combo Roy can do on Jigglypuff, Pichu, Kirby, G&W, Zelda, Mewtwo, IC, and Peach on certain stages at certain altitudes. Whereas you hit them with a low-to-the-ground Fair (Or Nair if they're at a higher percent) then immediately hit them with a sweetspotted reverse Blazer.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
Also, you can utilize a falling U-air to get a sometimes free F-smash on grounded fast fallers. Not exactly unique tech, but good to know for when you want to kill fairly early from a platform drop.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
They aren't groundbreakingly new things but some interesting tips for Roy that have helped me recently:
  • Instead of a SHFFL Fair approach i've been mixing up using rising Fair against people to zone. By this i mean I'd dash toward them then when im in range of a Fair I'd Shorthop-> immediately get the full horizontal momentum backward while C-sticking forward to get a rising Fair. If you L-cancel and repeat this this you can create a ton of zoning opportunity and shield pressure against certain characters.

• Another interesting thing i've been doing lately is throwing in full hop Fairs to get mix ups and some more aerial mobility. I personally have been finding it easiest to do by using the z-button for the first Fair. This tends to throw people off by mixing up the standard SHFFL Fair Since you're going in a different direction and angle. This particularly along with the first point i made helps me a lot in the Roy vs Marth matchup by adding more options and more mixups. Also by doing this you can double Fair, similar to Marth's short hop double fair or Dair/Uair/Nair or throw in the second jump to add a third hit for more pressure. You can use it to chase people off the edge and get a second full hop Fair swat to edgeguard after that as well.

• Third useful thing is that when you Dtilt you might notice you can get caught crouching and have an ending lag to the move. After you Dtilt you can immediately input a dash animation to cancel the animation. With this you can immediately shield, Fsmash, Ftilt, etc, after the Dtilt input.

Last edited:
Top Bottom