• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any reliable reverse attack

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
I realized while I'm playing G&W a lot of the time I want to throw out b-airs and stuff forgetting that it's not Falco... also when I finish an attack and the enemy ends up behind me (full hop d-air for example), what do I do?

I know I can jab, that's about it though. Are there any other fast reliable moves to throw out cause I always end up running away and turning around or rolling (-_-) or shielding (x_x).

QERB

Banned via Warnings
gw's approach really isn't comparable to that of falco's. after a full hop d-air, there's not much you can unless you are able to hit them with the hitbox of the jab that goes slightly behind you. but if that's not there, retreating someway is pretty much your only option. we don't have something like a shine to continue pressure like falco has.

However using the jab as followup pressure after a space f-air is pretty useful, but not so much for the d-air. But usually retreating and "setting back up" is your best option after a d-air.

Gw's up-air comes out very fast and is reliable because of it's ridiculous priority, but the hitbox in isn't too big, so you have to be really careful if you want to go for it. I think it's best used as an edge hopped recovery if your opponent is edge guarding you too close to the edge.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
What about turnaround dtilt?

(Disclaimer: I don't play GnW)
That really depends on the matchup. If you're playing against a character that has a rather fast OOS aerial that he can punish you with after your d-air, it probably isn't worth the shot.

Also, it would probably be better to turn-around jab if anything, just because it comes out a few frames faster than the d-tilt, and can actually set up a d-tilt or a grab.

But overall, it has a higher success rate against characters less "instant" OOS attacks (mostly floatier characters I would say, AKA not against spacies and such).

QERB

Banned via Warnings
mmmhm i like turnaround u-tilt against falcon/ganon alot

it used to work against falco, but they're starting to learn ): at least for me

DualCats

Smash Ace
also when I finish an attack and the enemy ends up behind me (full hop d-air for example), what do I do?
In a situation like this, I would jump away and bair. It's not at all an offensive option, but it can keep you out of your opponent's reach. You can also up-b onto platforms to escape. Trying to attack out of a situation like that is extremely risky.

In some situations you can dsmash but that not only requires immaculate spacing and timing, it's also pretty laggy and punishable. The important thing is that it's difficult to anticipate.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
In a situation like this, I would jump away and bair. It's not at all an offensive option, but it can keep you out of your opponent's reach. You can also up-b onto platforms to escape. Trying to attack out of a situation like that is extremely risky.

In some situations you can dsmash but that not only requires immaculate spacing and timing, it's also pretty laggy and punishable. The important thing is that it's difficult to anticipate.
It's sad because I love going pure offence with G&W, and when I need to play defence it feels so weak and I don't want to do it

I try to never be in a defensive position , which is why I hate it when I land an aerial right next to the guy but facing the wrong direction

DualCats

Smash Ace
Being offensive with G&W pretty much requires perfect reads at higher levels of play. It's fun to do that against worse players but if you **** up once, the punishment is devastating. ;___;

Approaching with G&W is less about what you do than when you do it. If you can consistently get inside people's rhythm, that's sexy.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
Being offensive with G&W pretty much requires perfect reads at higher levels of play. It's fun to do that against worse players but if you **** up once, the punishment is devastating. ;___;

Approaching with G&W is less about what you do than when you do it. If you can consistently get inside people's rhythm, that's sexy.
I found this to be really true. When full hop f-airing Falcon, they tend to want to jump out of the pressure, which just leads into another f-air. And it's nice because his ridiculous priority/hitboxes/frames end up adding more to his defence with a solid offence.

But I know that playing G&W against faster people is hard because you can't just throw out attacks; you just get dashdanced around and then punished. But oh is it satisfying when you get the reads right.

IMO best G&W defence is reading your opponent and countering with attacks where necessary.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)

But won't you be punished for bairing, since you can't L-cancel those?

DualCats

Smash Ace
I probably should have been more clear, but that was largely intended for the situation where your enemy is directly behind you, presumably shielding. The idea is to space it such that your opponent is barely inside your range. If you jump away and get your bair out fast enough, it will ideally have hit them or their shield. If they've spotdodged, the hitbox stays out for long enough to hit them out of it in most cases (maybe some exceptions such as Mewtwo? I don't know .__. ) G&W's bair outspaces all non-tethered grabs, I'm pretty sure.

It's not perfect, clearly, but it's a decent way out of a much worse situation.

DualCats

Smash Ace
That happens and it sucks. I don't know anything about frame data involving this sort of thing, but I can typically get away with it (though not always)

I've just not encountered this situation enough to offer anything else on it. :/

Top Bottom