• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any recommendations or tips for getting into the tournament scene?

TUNDRA IV

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
Not a newcomer to the game or anything. I started playing smash when I was a 8 year old kid. Now (21 years old ) I really feel the confidence to go to my first smash tournament. So any tips for me?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Well you’re probably gonna get bodied but that’s fine because everybody does at first. Play friendlies and learn from the experience. Ask better players what you’re doing wrong. Don’t worry about the results

TUNDRA IV

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
Well you’re probably gonna get bodied but that’s fine because everybody does at first. Play friendlies and learn from the experience. Ask better players what you’re doing wrong. Don’t worry about the results

Thank you !

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Just play. Most people get wrecked in their early days. The best part about tournaments is that you learn. You play against people who are better than you. You have the opportunity to get into friendly games. Join doubles if you can, if just for the extra tournament experience. Tournaments place a different pressure than friendlies. The only way to learn how to deal with it is to be exposed to it.

Another great part of tournaments is that you meet people in your area. New people to play offline with. Get contacts and offer to host. This is one way to not only make friends, but get better at the game. People who go to tournaments are often the same people who are looking for people to play with outside the tournament scene.

If you want to seriously get better, keep a journal for notes. Take notes after each set. Record stages, characters and try to remember how you died and how you took stocks. Over time, you can analyze patterns. Notice bad habits that you can minimize. Realize good habits that can be built on. Ask your opponent questions when they are willing. You can't get better if you don't know what you are doing wrong (or right).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What if you can't drive a car to get there, just wait till you're old enough (I'm 14)?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
What if you can't drive a car to get there, just wait till you're old enough (I'm 14)?
Short of getting a ride, you're out of luck.

Some local tournaments get posted online. You might be able to fish for a ride that way. I was easily swayed by gas money bribes myself in my early days. Baked goods are more effective on me these days, haha.

Top Bottom