• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any pro tips for a new Sonic player?

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I was so hype when he was revealed for Brawl but I honestly didn't use him that much, and I kind of regret it. Now I want to pick him up again (for the first time) and I'm hoping for some good tips on how to really utilize his moveset. I've read through alot of the threads in this character section but alot of the stuff is abbreviations and **** that I've never learned so it didn't really help much.

If you could, I'd like tips for a variety of situations. Fighting projectile spammers, heavies, other fasties, swordspeople, using his grabs, any combos that you guys find reliable, how to really edgeguard with him, how to tech his spins, anything you want to divulge, I want to know the complete ins and outs of Sonic in Sm4sh, and hopefully one day I could be a regular in this section. Until then, I'll be relying on your advice :)

Also I'll try to take whatever tips you guys give me and put them to use in For Glory so I'll most likely be giving you feedback on how well you explained something and how well I was able to utilize it myself. You probably won't care but It's just something I feel like doing.

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I think the quickest way to get helpful advice to better yourself is to record some of your gameplay for others to critique. That way they can clearly point out options of what you could be doing better and what things you're doing well right now. Also, you'd be helping yourself out a lot by reading up on the acronyms for sonic's various spins. It'll help you out in the long run.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I think the quickest way to get helpful advice to better yourself is to record some of your gameplay for others to critique. That way they can clearly point out options of what you could be doing better and what things you're doing well right now. Also, you'd be helping yourself out a lot by reading up on the acronyms for sonic's various spins. It'll help you out in the long run.
Just read through a thread that had the acronyms in it, it really does help alot. How should I go about recording my gameplay though? Would an iphone camera be good enough quality?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I think it's fine. That's what I used for that clip in the other thread. Didn't even choose high quality to upload it since I'm at work. Should be plenty good. Just save some replays. Especially ones where you lose. Always try to look at matches with a mindset of what you could do different/better. When you start blaming your issues on things, that's when you stunt the growth of your development.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I think it's fine. That's what I used for that clip in the other thread. Didn't even choose high quality to upload it since I'm at work. Should be plenty good. Just save some replays. Especially ones where you lose. Always try to look at matches with a mindset of what you could do different/better. When you start blaming your issues on things, that's when you stunt the growth of your development.
Alright, I'll upload some tomorrow hopefully, so you can give specific advice. I would still appreciate some general advice for using the character in the mean time, if you could :)

Last edited:

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Try not to rely too heavily on spindashes. Try not to get into a habit of assuming spins will land and follow up with jumps to aerials. That's very punishable. Sonic feels like more of a bait to open up character, so try to use mixups with empty attacks like shield canceled spins and empty jumps to get your opponent to commit to something that will leave them open. Be that a laggy attack or something as simple as a spot dodge. Sonic has the speed to bait a spot dodge and run in and grab before they can do anything after. Work on your offstage game and grabs. Grabs are really good. bthrow and fthrow both kill now. His grab and grab pummel are also good and he has the speed and mixups to get grabs more often than most characters. Sonic's offstage game is still really good, so you'll want to get comfortable with him off stage in all situations. He has a lot of options to deal with pretty much all recovery options. You obviously aren't always going to get the ko and gimp, but just getting some extra damage or forcing your opponent to play the way you want them to is a big plus.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Try not to rely too heavily on spindashes. Try not to get into a habit of assuming spins will land and follow up with jumps to aerials. That's very punishable. Sonic feels like more of a bait to open up character, so try to use mixups with empty attacks like shield canceled spins and empty jumps to get your opponent to commit to something that will leave them open. Be that a laggy attack or something as simple as a spot dodge. Sonic has the speed to bait a spot dodge and run in and grab before they can do anything after. Work on your offstage game and grabs. Grabs are really good. bthrow and fthrow both kill now. His grab and grab pummel are also good and he has the speed and mixups to get grabs more often than most characters. Sonic's offstage game is still really good, so you'll want to get comfortable with him off stage in all situations. He has a lot of options to deal with pretty much all recovery options. You obviously aren't always going to get the ko and gimp, but just getting some extra damage or forcing your opponent to play the way you want them to is a big plus.
I'll try to keep all this in mind. If I get a decent replay I'll be sure to post it here

TehSharpie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0817-4971-4822
And while the same is to be said for all characters, learning character specific matchups will really help your Sanic game; in addition, fighting an opponent who is unfamiliar with the Sonic matchup does wonders for mixups and mindgames.

But you'll probably be facing people who have at least a small understanding on the MU so you should be careful until you get a good idea of your opponent's playstyle.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'll try to keep all this in mind. If I get a decent replay I'll be sure to post it here
The best replays are the ones that you lose in. You can learn much more from that than some video of you 2-3 stocking some scrub.

Top Bottom