• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Pikachus playing with Pro Controllers?

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
Hey guys, so my last character I was maining (Villager) has some pretty big advantages using a Pro Controller, just because of the way Villager is played. It was this huge adjustment to adapt after a decade of playing with a gamecube controller, but I feel I'm better off from it.
Fast forward a bit, now I'm all about dat Pikachu, and man quick attack is truly a skill that requires mastery. Unlike most things in the game that use 4 or 8 way directional, quick attack uses 16 way directional, and without the grooves on the gamecube controller to guide those perfect angels, landing 2 lightning fast quick attacks is crazy hard for me.
I'm considering relearning to play with gc controller again, but wanted to hear your guys opinions. do the grooves help you? do you rely on them, is your quick attack game perfect because of it? like multiple consecutive quick attack ledge cancels without error?
is anybody playing on a Pro Controller and landing these, what are your guys thoughts on it?
Thanks!

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
The grooves kinda make it easier, but it's not as necessary to use them with Pika unlike Ryu for example, who has some really consistent combos on GameCube/Wii Classic Controller (Pro) thanks to the grooves. I play on 3DS and can still play a decent Pika, and Wavebouncing Thunder is much more successful, too.

iQauntum

Smash Rookie
I some sometimes play with the pro controller but might i ask what are grooves?

Emuchu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Emuchu
3DS FC
2320-6462-6471
I some sometimes play with the pro controller but might i ask what are grooves?
Grooves refer to the eight notches that some controllers have around the analog stick / pad / nub, which is also known as a gate. The Gamecube, Wii Nunchuk, Wii Classic, and Wii Classic Pro controllers all have an octagon-shaped gate with eight grooves, and the WiiU GamePad, WiiU Pro Controller, and all varieties of the 3DS all have circular gates with no grooves. The gates make it easier to consistently hit the cardinal directions and diagonals, but also make it more difficult to hit all the stuff in between when you're moving quickly. So, say, it's really easy for me to hit a 0-315 Quick Attack on my Wii Classic, but I have trouble nailing the subtle in-between angles when I want to QA right into someone's noggin.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forums, iQauntum iQauntum !

Last edited:

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
I play on the pro controller, but have never really played on the gb controller. I could just imagine getting the 1/16th angles being less natural on the gb controller if youre not used to it and i use those more often than the 1/8th angles. This is why i dont see it as a reason to move over, plus i use the left bumper for jumping.

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
I play on the pro controller, but have never really played on the gb controller. I could just imagine getting the 1/16th angles being less natural on the gb controller if youre not used to it and i use those more often than the 1/8th angles. This is why i dont see it as a reason to move over, plus i use the left bumper for jumping.
ayeeeeee I use the right! right on!

Top Bottom