• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Any Hacks/Mods for Smash Wii U?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
Hola smashers, quick set of questions here. Are there any mods/hacks currently brewing for the Wii U version of the new Smash game? Any of you devs working on it or do you know someone who is? How long do you think it'll take for the first batch of hacks/mods to arrive? Really any bit of information you guys can supply on potential mods/hacks would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
It's only been a week.
Right, but I'm asking if they're any plans, not if they're any out yet. There's all sorts of people who have their hands on it, so it's not that much of stretch to think people are already thinking of ways to tweak it. I like the game as it is right now, I'm just curious.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Not anytime soon, and I highly doubt they would be open to it so soon, considering that Smash is Nintendo's latest baby.

Also, people tend to hack stuff when they get bored with the game in general.

Last edited:

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
I don't even think the Wii u has anything like homebrew yet.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
I don't even think the Wii u has anything like homebrew yet.
There are hackless methods to mod Brawl now; both Project M, Brawl EX, work on the Wii menu on the Wii U, all you need is a SD card. Hopefully, they can do the same for the Wii U version of the new Smash game.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
There are hackless methods to mod Brawl now; both Project M, Brawl EX, work on the Wii menu on the Wii U, all you need is a SD card. Hopefully, they can do the same new Smash game on Wii U.
Not a chance at all. The Wii U is made to reject all foreign objects from it's games in order to protect it. We haven't been able to hack any games to a reasonable degree! The closest we have gotten is hanging some data while the game is running, and that is very negligible at best. Plus if any flaws come within hacking the system, Nintendo will patch it this time. Maybe in 2 years at best we will get a substantial mod or hack, but what is more is. Why would you? We have Mewtwo on the way, the game plays great, we already have a mod in Brawl for Melee players, we probably have more stages and characters eventually coming as DLC, and balance patches are making sure we do not have any broken characters.

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
There are hackless methods to mod Brawl now; both Project M, Brawl EX, work on the Wii menu on the Wii U, all you need is a SD card. Hopefully, they can do the same for the Wii U version of the new Smash game.
I was aware of this. But beyond the Wii emulation, the Wii u has entirely different firmware. The market has also been vastly different. The wii's market was much larger. Who knows if someone's actually going to put the effort in to search for an exploit this time around.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
Not a chance at all. The Wii U is made to reject all foreign objects from it's games in order to protect it. We haven't been able to hack any games to a reasonable degree! The closest we have gotten is hanging some data while the game is running, and that is very negligible at best. Plus if any flaws come within hacking the system, Nintendo will patch it this time. Maybe in 2 years at best we will get a substantial mod or hack, but what is more is. Why would you? We have Mewtwo on the way, the game plays great, we already have a mod in Brawl for Melee players, we probably have more stages and characters eventually coming as DLC, and balance patches are making sure we do not have any broken characters.
At the moment, I am content with the current game, I'm merely just curious about potential mods and junk. But as for reasons of why I would want it eventually, well, new characters, PSAs, and stages of course! I can see myself eventually getting worn out of the novelty of the game, so having new characters, or old ones with different move sets aside from the customs in the current game, and other stages would be refreshing. I was a big fan of Brawl PSAs and stages, even if some of them were really unbalanced, it was nice seeing the new animations, the new environments, it was fun exploring, it brought the exciting new feeling back to the game for me. I didn't really care for the balancing and tech portion of Project M though, I suppose I'm in the minority of [slightly] competitive players who is fine with the casual-competitive nature of Brawl; I'm fine with the game's physics.

To get to your point about the DLC, Mewtwo is nice, but I was never an advocate of bringing him back in. Regardless of him being the "cloned Pokemon", I'm hoping they do enough tweaks to him so he plays different than a Lucario semi-clone (prepares flame shield [and I know it's the other way around technically]). As for other DLC, Sakurai stated that there aren't any plans for it currently not too long ago, but if it happens I'll be stoked. In any case, imagine what people can do with HD mods, we can have more tweaks than we will ever get with just Nintendo if people find a way to do it. I am good with the normal game atm, but eventually mods and other DLC would be nice.

Last edited:

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Hola smashers, quick set of questions here. Are there any mods/hacks currently brewing for the Wii U version of the new Smash game? Any of you devs working on it or do you know someone who is? How long do you think it'll take for the first batch of hacks/mods to arrive? Really any bit of information you guys can supply on potential mods/hacks would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.
If you need mods for a game that isn't even one month old yet, I think that this game isn't fit for you.

Doomstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Doomstar
3DS FC
3539-9305-4908
Nothing substantial yet, as I understand it, the Wii U is pretty airtight. A mod close to the scale and ambition of PM is nothing more than a twinkle in someone's eye at this point. Time will tell though, nothing is impossible, but it's gonna be a lot harder this time around.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
Not anytime soon, and I highly doubt they would be open to it so soon, considering that Smash is Nintendo's latest baby.

Also, people tend to hack stuff when they get bored with the game in general.
I was aware of this. But beyond the Wii emulation, the Wii u has entirely different firmware. The market has also been vastly different. The wii's market was much larger. Who knows if someone's actually going to put the effort in to search for an exploit this time around.
Yeah, fair points people.

@ RespawningJesus RespawningJesus Yeah, people do usually do this type of thing when they get bored with it, and it is less likely for it to happen later. But how long do you think it'll take em' (assuming it happens at all)? Do you know how long did it take for the first set of Brawl hacks to arrive since the game's original release, and since the Wii U is harder to exploit do you think it'll be a little longer, or much longer than Brawls (again assuming it does happen somewhere down the line)?

@ Merkabo Merkabo I get the firmware is different this time around, @ Lozjam Lozjam did inform me the Wii U is designed in a way where the games rejects all foreign objects. However, someone is probably bound to find an exploit, I'm not familiar with the technicalities, but I know there has been a large number of things that were said to be difficult to crack but hackers achieved regardless. Whose to say this will be any different?

While it is true there's a smaller market, the type of people who usually have a go at Smash mods usually are long-time Smash fans, and long-time Smash fans likely own a Wii U console already or will do so in the future (probably sooner than later).

If you need mods for a game that isn't even one month old yet, I think that this game isn't fit for you.
You should have read my earlier posts before replying.

Nothing substantial yet, as I understand it, the Wii U is pretty airtight. A mod close to the scale and ambition of PM is nothing more than a twinkle in someone's eye at this point. Time will tell though, nothing is impossible, but it's gonna be a lot harder this time around.
I got you, it makes sense.

Last edited:

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Ontop of the difficulties getting mods to work in the first place, who is going to want to risk bricking their Wii U? It was a different story for the Wii during the late Brawl era when everyone was tired of their Wii anyway, but it will be months (if not a year or two) until I'll feel comfortable risking having an offline-only Wii U.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Not to mention that, unlike the Wii, you are no longer anonymous when hacking. With Nintendo Network IDs, Nintendo has the power to ban people. Can't see hacking going far beyond offline.

Kashology

Smash Cadet
Ontop of the difficulties getting mods to work in the first place, who is going to want to risk bricking their Wii U? It was a different story for the Wii during the late Brawl era when everyone was tired of their Wii anyway, but it will be months (if not a year or two) until I'll feel comfortable risking having an offline-only Wii U.
I suppose, but I never said it's gonna happen right away (or at all for that matter, I'm just asking and responding), and I'm perfectly fine with it not happening anytime soon too.

Not to mention that, unlike the Wii, you are no longer anonymous when hacking. With Nintendo Network IDs, Nintendo has the power to ban people. Can't see hacking going far beyond offline.
True, but perhaps a work around, do it under a guise? And I don't really care for online hacks in any case.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
It's definitely going to happen eventually. Unlike other people in this thread, I have faith that where there's a will, there's a way. There were substantial roadblocks to Brawl modding every step of the way, but modders managed to conquer them and now we've found ways to reverse engineer and modify nearly every part of the game and even made headway with modding Melee. It took about two years after Brawl was released for mods to really catch on in a big way, and from there it just got bigger and bigger. If anything, the speed with which these things happen has accelerated. Remember how quickly the 3DS ROM was dumped online? Mario Kart 8 has already been hacked, substantially so, and its only been out for a few months. Nintendo patched the exploit that allowed those modders to get into the system, and they're keeping their secrets to themselves for the time being, but this shows that the Wii U can be hacked, and more vulnerabilities will probably be found. No firmware is 100% hack proof. Whether or not it becomes the homebrew wasteland that the Wii was, we'll have to see. Personally I think we're likely to see 3DS mods first.

The fact that Sm4sh seems to use a modified version of the Brawl engine means that once the security of the Wii U itself is compromised, it probably won't be as difficult a road to get from simple texture hacks to things like PSA's as it was with Brawl, because we'd be working with most of the same file architecture as before. Furthermore, this thread and many identical threads prove that Sm4sh mods are something people want, so they'll start showing up eventually. But they're most likely years away. I wouldn't count against a total-conversion mod like Project M happening eventually, but it's a looooooooong way off if it does, and it won't be coming from the same team of modders, who have put enough work in as is.

Are there plans right now for any of this? I'm sure some hackers have entertained the idea, but like everyone's been saying, the game has been out for a week (at most) and DLC is on the way, so be a little patient! If you need mods, Brawl's still there, and there are people working on texture mods that make it look more like Sm4sh and even PSA's for some of the simpler newcomers. There's already a great one for Mega Man. Unfortunately the Brawl Vault has been having some serious server issues lately, but it should all be sorted out before too long.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I think the only notable hack for Wii U so far has been slightly changing some text and music loops in Mario Kart 8. It could be a while if anyone bothers to hack.

FunkyPanda

Smash Cadet
NNID
Aaron45689
I just want to put my Two Cents On the Topic

Smash 4 will be hacked, but not in the way people may want it to be...
With Technology Improving everyday I few days Ago I played melee on my Nvidia shield with no lag
60fps Clear audio, I believe that the Like said before is wii u is to valuable and has more games coming out that require online capabilities to be risking being banned and ruining your console, I'm just going to say it EMULATORS, they Exist oh they do And the cool thing about a emulator is you can manipulate it to run just about anything if you know what your Doing.

Smash Mods Might be on the Wii u but they wont be exposed to that many people Like they were on the Wii but Hardcore smash Fans will always Have a way to have Ridley in smash

But I don't the File is too Large to fit on my 2 gigabyte SD CARD

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Threads about mods are not allowed at the moment, until someone actually makes some progress into hacking Smash Wii U.

And please avoid bumping threads older than a month.

:231:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom