• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any good DJC tutorials/tips out there?

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
Just recently picked up Lucas and haven't had any experience with DJC and looking for tutorial/tips. Surprisingly hard to find info on this trhough Googling, YouTube etc. I think there was maybe one video on YT but was looking for a little more depth. I have a basic understanding of how its done but not enough to implement. Any help appreciated!

Badge

Smash Apprentice
This tutorial is specifically about Lucas' DJCs in Project:M. If you had found this already, you'll likely have to ask more specific questions for me to be able to help, if not I'd recommend watching it. For now, here's a bit information I posted in another thread on how to reach the C-stick fast enough as I could have covered that better in the video:
I just claw everything. ;) If you don't want to do that (most people don't), there still are different tricks that might help you.
Custom controls is one way. The control scheme I have heard of most often is setting Z to jump and using any of R/L+A, X/Y, R/L for grabs. The second to last post right now in the general discussion thread actually recommends doing this and apparently it makes many things much easier once you're comfortable with the new controls. Relearning the control scheme is strange at first and takes some time, but if you intend to ever optimize your controls for easier gameplay, you should do it as soon as possible, i.e. now.
If you also don't want to do that you can try to operate the C-stick with the lower part of your thump. Neon does something like this (see above). Requires less relearning of controls, but feels the most straining to me personally. Might just be a matter of preference though.
Finally, should nothing else work for you, you can also just train more. It'll take a while, but if you just keep practicing your ATs every day, you'll get fast enough eventually.
You'll likely just have to train it until you've got the technique down and experiment yourself with how to operate the C-Stick.

Edit: Also, the tutorial doesn't cover DJC PKF. The principle is almost the same, but you can't hold a jump button to do rising PKFs during a double jump. Also, PKF is slower than Lucas' aerials, so you have to wait a while before DJing. The gif below demonstrates different timings for DJC PKFs - among those you should usually aim for the second from the top.

Edit: Something that I forgot to mention, that popped up in the general thread: For DJC PKFs most people find it easier to use a jump button for the DJ in contrast to DJC Aerials, where Tap Jump is easier. Reason being, that none of the advantages of tap-jump really apply and you have to use the Control-Stick for the Side-B (usually, a frame perfect C-Stick input works, too).

Last edited:

Tstemp

Smash Rookie
Having a good bit of trouble with the DJC PKF. I'm sure it's just going to take a good bit of time and practice but deff a struggle lol. The aerials came pretty quick but no where near the level of your video demo : P

Top Bottom