• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any good approach strategies?

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Unfortunately, thats about all DDD has. He really doesnt have anything else other then maybe his down air (not short hopped). I find it tough approaching people with anything else.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
Never miss an opportunity to throw a Waddle Dee. Ftilt all the time. Swallow is actually a surprise approach, if you've previously trained your opponent to shield.

Goronsan

Smash Cadet
Throw in a waddle Dee and approach with a nair/ bair/ dair. I like to space things out so most of the time i let the opponent come to me instead, if its fox or some projectile guy i just try to get close.

FlashGearz

Smash Apprentice
I really can't find a way to use it effectively. Too much lagg to shffl it, edgeguarding is better with Bair, and fairs. Comboing is great with dairs, and uairs. Nairs, are just outclassed in just about everything

Goronsan

Smash Cadet
When using the nair i often find myself getting behind the enemies shield , from there dsmash or grab.

CO18

Smash Hero
Nair is useful in certain situations really... if your opponent has just up tilted you and it juggles you, there is nothing fast enough to counter it than nair unless u feel like getting hit 3-4 times.

Samus-T

Smash Lord
waddle dee spammage, and some ftilts. to catch an opponent off guard, i usually run towards them and shield grab and follow up with a combo. works for me :)

rse

Smash Rookie
Is it a crime to say that un-canceled upb is my approach sometimes?

=/

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
And I think Goronsan is asking how he gets away with doing that to an opponent. That's pretty punishable. =p

Samus-T

Smash Lord
And I think Goronsan is asking how he gets away with doing that to an opponent. That's pretty punishable. =p

1: super armor when doing upwards
2: when coming down in the up B it spikes them and its very hard to tech
3: then once the opponent hits the ground after the spike, DDD lands on them hitting them upwards which actually has quite a bit of knock back. ive killed a lot of my opponents that way :)

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Keep in mind we're doing this at ground level, so the super armor won't help. People can attack you when you're coming down from the side, or predict your trajectory, and stay just outside the range, and then swoop in when you have the end move lag.

Just to be clear, it's not horrible, but it's not something I'd suggest doing, either.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Short Hop Bairs are basically all you can do lol. That or grabbing, Dedede's such a boring character but he's still my favorite because he's a penguin.

Lithos2322

Smash Rookie
D3 is a very turtle like character, my approach when fighting people is I usually b-air either shorthopped or high in the air. Its just so useful, you can basically keep them off the ground with the back air and basically b-air or f-air till they are off the stage. My whole game with D3 is just keeping them off the stage because his air control is very similar to Jigglypuff's in melee. Other than that I spam waddle dees until they feel the need to attack me, and then I chaingrab them off the stage and followed with the b-air control. Works perfect as a defensive to offensive transition for me. :)

Lithos2322

Smash Rookie
D3 is a very turtle like character, my approach when fighting people is I usually b-air either shorthopped or high in the air. Its just so useful, you can basically keep them off the ground with the back air and basically b-air or f-air till they are off the stage. My whole game with D3 is just keeping them off the stage because his air control is very similar to Jigglypuff's in melee. Other than that I spam waddle dees until they feel the need to attack me, and then I chaingrab them off the stage and followed with the b-air control. Works perfect as a defensive to offensive transition for me. :)

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
there is more to dedede then back airs!

COME ON PEOPLE!!

use this bad boy to his full potential!!!!!!

dash dance cancelled down smashes work as well!!

SD14

Smash Cadet
if it is a FFA then i just jump as high as i can and then do a dair on who ever is closest if it is 1v1 then i just throw a waddlede or something and go for a grab

Jun.

Smash Lord
train your opponent to become scared of your grabs.

to avoid projectiles put your waddledees in front of you.

approach with
1. shield canceled dash - leads up to grabs. opponent will usually make a move when you're approaching, that's when you shield grab and start your chain.
2. SH bair - has good priority and stays out long so if your opponent is aggressive, run towards and do a RAR with bair hoping that your opponent will run into it. remember to do your bair on the up momentum so that you don't land with lag.
3. super wavedash - i hope this will soon come to work.

Jerm~

Smash Rookie
I just run in with the body slam...most people find it too hilarious to dodge
I agree, i just go to the basic running dedede face plant. Dedede's secret FS is his Adorable/Cute/Funny exterior that distracts your opponets mentally. How can you concentrate when a mitton wearing penguin is waddling towards you?

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I've seen good things with mindgames around walking toward and away from them with f-tilt and d-tilt and suddenly running in to shield grab. Also when walking away from them, if they chase you, you're almost guaranteed to Bair their face.

Top Bottom