• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any gifted keyboarders out there?

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
All the really good smashers i've played online all seem to use some sort of controller whether it be the xbox 360 or the usb adapter for n64. I was wondering if there are any professed keyboarders who actually prefer the keyboard and still pwn...

is having a controller a key stepping stone to improving play?

DreDay

Smash Journeyman
Nephiros , Fabrian , couple of players on the ladder are pretty good on keys.

I dont know about it improving play, some people just prefer keys or controllers.
They also say keys have better DI, meh I get just as good DI with my controller :p

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
use whatever device you want for online play. just remember that if you want to be good on console too, there's currently no way to plug your keyboard into the n64. just use a normal controller like everyone else.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
The way i see it, there are certain things you just CAN'T DO with a keyboard (like shorthopping Uairs), and that is a bad thing.

What i'd really like to do is use a gamecube controller for this game. Is that possible?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm also a keyboard player, and I'm ranked like #10 on the ladder. Zack was another great player, but he retired since his keyboard broke and he had to start using an unresponsive USB keyboard >_>

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Err shorthop uair is pretty easy to do with the kb once you get the hang of it. Drop to uair is possible too, but harder. The only impossible thing to do I know is angling up+b recoveries at anything but 0 45 90 135 180 225 270 and 315 degrees

MattNF

Smash Lord
I use keyboard. I don't like it though. I'm going to be getting the 'cube adapter soon.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Err shorthop uair is pretty easy to do with the kb once you get the hang of it. Drop to uair is possible too, but harder. The only impossible thing to do I know is angling up+b recoveries at anything but 0 45 90 135 180 225 270 and 315 degrees
How do you shorthop uair with a kb then? You can't press buttons lightly (you can but it won't have any effect).

Btw I use keyboard too, I never played smash64 on the N64 so it was not a big problem to get used to it.

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
the hard thing isn't even shorthopping, here are some disadvantages to kb:

-when you try and utilt a guy over and over while moving you end up doing a dash attack and that's really annoying especially when you know you could have finished the combo.

-another thing is that with characters like pikachu the uair is really hard to do consistently and it's quite an important move

-fastfalls when you press down even gently for aerials

i have no trouble with shorthops whatsoever O_oa

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
the hard thing isn't even shorthopping, here are some disadvantages to kb:

-when you try and utilt a guy over and over while moving you end up doing a dash attack and that's really annoying especially when you know you could have finished the combo.

-another thing is that with characters like pikachu the uair is really hard to do consistently and it's quite an important move

-fastfalls when you press down even gently for aerials

i have no trouble with shorthops whatsoever O_oa
I wasn't talking about the shorthopping, that's just a bit harder with keyboard but still possible, but how do you do an uair after you did a shorthop? If you shorthop with a c-stick button, you cant press up to do an uair because then you will jump again. If you shorthop with up, same thing.

I have trouble with shorthopping, but I have no trouble with doing uairs consistently with pika whatsoever O_o. Guess it just depends on the person. The utilt into dash thing is really annoying indeed.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
To sh-uair I just kinda short-hop with a C-button and then quickly hold up (almost at the same time as I press the C-button) so then I can do the uair whenever I want just by pressing A without double jumping.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
How do you shorthop uair with a kb then? You can't press buttons lightly (you can but it won't have any effect).

Btw I use keyboard too, I never played smash64 on the N64 so it was not a big problem to get used to it.
Yeah you can, well it's not the lightness but the speed of which you push and release the button at.

Top Bottom