• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any gameplay tips?

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
Over the past few days, I've been slowly getting used to Olimar's moveset. Could you guys help critic my gameplay?
Anything would help!
Thanks!

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Over the past few days, I've been slowly getting used to Olimar's moveset. Could you guys help critic my gameplay?
Anything would help!
Thanks!
Don't have a lot of time so I only got to watch the first video. I noticed that you almost never used your side-B, this is huge. Use this to wrack up damage when the opponent isn't approaching, or you're recovering. Purple side-B is also an amazing way to stop the opponent from doing anything. Also I recommend fsmashing much more. It is a pretty solid tool for walling people out, and can score kills pretty easily compared to his other moves. Pivot-grabbing could help a lot too. Don't dair so often, especially when landing. One last thing is to use your down-B when Pikmin desync to get them back to your line.

Just some things I noticed out of the first game.

CampLow

Smash Rookie
NNID
SouthernSalmon
I feel like a lot of time when you could of thrown pikmin you sort of always go back to neutral after hitting your opponent and try to attack, so as Myran said throw a lot more. Also be careful with dair/uair so low to the ground they have 30 frames of lag on landing, your opponent didn't really punish most of them but keep that in mind. Use down B more and lastly be careful with those hail marry smashes, you do them often.
So overall
-Throw more pikmin
-Less Hail Marry upsmash
-Be careful with up/down air

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Also be careful with dair/nair so low to the ground they have 30 frames of lag on landing
Guessing you meant up air instead of nair.

Also using smashes a lot with Olimar isn't to bad. Like I said he fsmash is a great way to wall the opponents out, and conditions to react a certain way. Dsmash can also cover some ground, and catch them when recovering from the ledge.

CampLow

Smash Rookie
NNID
SouthernSalmon
Oh didn't notice (just fixed it) and yeah more specifically up smash, he threw them out for no reason a few times. I agree on D smash to cover ground and side smash for walling but should of been more specific.

Last edited:

ThatManMa

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-5034-8443
I've been trying to apply the tips you guys have given and I seem to have issues with tossing pikmin. I'd miss the throw then the opponent would immediately rush me while I'm trying to re sync. Also how do you manage against opponents who juggle well? I was playing against a Captain Falcon who wouldn't let me stay on the ground long enough to get many attacks in.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I've been trying to apply the tips you guys have given and I seem to have issues with tossing pikmin. I'd miss the throw then the opponent would immediately rush me while I'm trying to re sync. Also how do you manage against opponents who juggle well? I was playing against a Captain Falcon who wouldn't let me stay on the ground long enough to get many attacks in.
For the Pikmin Throw I think you just need to work on using it at the right times. Now when your're getting juggled there are a few things you can do. Air dodging his attack would work, falling with an aerial, or baiting him into an attack and then falling the other way. Just try to make him commit to a move, and then react appropriately with what you think is best. It can be hard to land sometimes, but I think you'll get the hang of it in due time.

Top Bottom