• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any funny tricks/techs for Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion XL?

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
Hello, all. I already know quite a handful of them because I love this game but I wanted to see how much any other person knows? Maybe I'll learn something?
I'll start with a tech/tactic called coast rolling! With this, you can roll off the stage and pretty much get a slight boost or something. It can speed up jumping to other platforms as well.

And for this second one I did full jumps for some reason (becuz bad) but you can short hop it to land faster.

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
You know what, dang. I kinda realized I'm probably the only one on here who knows anything at all about the game unless my brother, Vex Kasrani, boybonik, and Freefork are on here too. So I'll just keep posting interesting things hopefully and post a useful link to the PTE wiki
https://punchtimeexplosion.fandom.com/wiki/Punch_Time_Explosion_Wiki

So I'll post a trick/tip that seems not many know about and that is about Punch Time Explosions themselves! Punch Time Explosions are this game's version of final smashes and are special moves that essentially serve as powerful finishers! They can be divided into a few categories.
  • Free movements (think Super Sonic and Volt Pikachu but with more control)
  • Kill confirms (these activate instantly and deal massive damage)
    • Beam super (these launch a large beam projectile forward)
    • Blast super (a super that uses a large blast in the general area)
    • Grounded super (these activate just about instantly but only usable on ground)
    • Hybrid (many PTEs are hybrids but the way you use them can be geared towards one type. Grim has a beam super but the way you want to hit this is generally when he swings his scythe out for the move, so a blast super)
  • Edge guards (these moves have a bunch of start up so they take longer to activate, therefore the optimal use is edge guarding with them)
  • Hybrid (if the attack is a combination of a kill confirm and transitions to a free movement. Only one character has this trait)
  • Transformation (the character becomes a new setup or character with a different moveset)
  • Power up (Samurai Jack and Billy and Mandy have blast supers, but they gain a 1.5x damage buff after usage)
How to obtain a PTE
In order to get a PTE, you must damage opponents to drop blue cubes. The percent damage dealt to an opponent reflects the amount of blue cubes dropped with the maximum capping at 4 cubes at 14% and over. You need a total of 40 blue cubes to get your PTE. As you can imagine not all PTEs were made equal so the fact that all characters have to get the same amount can be a shady area on balance. It should be noted that attacks that deal under 3% will not create any power cubes and that some moves are even programmed to not drop any at all.

Using PTEs
Unlike the Super Smash Bros series, PTEs can actually be shielded (and dodged). So if you're just standing on the ground and didn't do any other action and Samurai Jack wants to slash through you with his PTE you can buffer it by holding shield during the cutscene and block the whole thing. The most optimal way is to use PTE while the opponent is in the air as air dodging doesn't come out frame 1 like shield does. This tends to be during a combo or a finisher of a combo. It can be while the opponent is recovering, falling down, maybe they did a laggy attack and you can punish that, and I hear possibly on the PS3 or Xbox version you can use it while being hit by the opponent? but this is not the case in all my testing on the Wii version.
  • Free movements
    • Freemovments are kind of a wild jamboni and acutally have their own "tech" called PTE dancing. If you spam the left and right directions during free movements the hitbox will "reset" and attack again. Vilgax will do massive shield damage with this technique, Blossom deals 2x more damage ending with around 200% dealt, etc.
    • Freemovements are good at edge guarding opportunities and for if you launch the opponent with a strong attack and can move to them fast enough. If the opponent lands on ground free movements are kinda hard to hit them with (unless you're Vilgax especially).
  • Kill confirms
    • These have a similar naming terminology to Playstation all-stars and that's exactly where it comes from. The idea was to use these under specific circumstances otherwise the move is a waste because shield. Many blast and beam supers come out very quickly making them pretty much impossible to dodge when used right.
    • Grounded supers seem to activate a little slower. Mac & Bloo are a good example. They have a huge vertical hitbox going on, but it takes around 4 frames or so to activate, giving time to air dodge out (although the hitbox is so big that it gets harder to air dodge out of the higher you are positioned)
  • Edge Guards
    • Edge guards are the bottom of the barrel PTEs. Most of them you can just walk away from because they have so much startup. That is precisely why they are mostly for edge guarding usage.
      • K'nuckles is one of the ultimate examples of this. He gives the dizzy state but most of the time you can get out of dizzy state and walk away to avoid the attack. This is why K'nuckles uses it mostly to dizzy opponents off stage (because you can get dizzy while airborne) and get a cheesey dizzy KO. This is especially effective on Final boss when the platforms fall under.
      • Father was supposed to have a unique PTE but due to a coding oversight that is not the case and it has become a mild speed blast super.
  • Hybrid (Grounded super > Free movement)
    • Toiletnator has a somewhat overwhelming PTE where he calls in a giant toilet that acts as a ground super, and then Toiletnator himself becomes a giant flushing tornado free movement, all while the toilet is shooting mediocre projectiles. This sounds powerful but once you land in the toilet you can just keep holding shield and Toiletnator can't do anything to you. However on a stage like Bubbie's mouth this is an absolute monster flush and makes him a powerful character.
  • Transformation
    • There are only two transformations in the game being Him and Kevin.
      • Kevin only has three moves and pretty much sums up to be a blast super. Once an opponent is launched up into the air is generally when Kevin transforms and follows up with diamond head earning a kill. After which he spams the fire projectile.
      • Him only activates his transformation on large stages. Him is the only character with 2 PTEs in the game and as a result this can turn out to be very glitched up. Him becomes a cloud in the air and pressing a button makes him bring two claws down. Only thing is platforms totally block these and the claws can be shielded and this is possibly the largest startup of any PTE in the game with the toal combined time of activating and using an attack. At this point it's pretty much known that Him has the worst PTEs (yes both of them) in the game.
  • Power up
    • Not much to explain here. When Samurai Jack and Billy and Mandy use their PTE they change into a different skin rather and have a 1.5x damage buff until they are KOd. This can turn out to be very broken as damage dealt correlates to the amount of cubes you get, so you pretty much get PTE faster and kill faster. Sometimes you may even just use it at 0% solely for the damage buff and screw the opponent over with your cool Jack combos or 15% booger shots.
And I think that's all for general stuff relating to supers. See you next time maybe.

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone!

Time for another small trick I suppose. You may notice something odd about aerials in this game and that's the fact that a large part of any aerial action has no landing lag at all (there are exceptions of course, basically whenever the devs felt like putting it in).

Because of this trait, there is something we can exploit called Platform Land Canceling, which allows us to land on floating platforms faster through the use of various actions. It is similar in concept to wave landing in Super Smash Bros. Melee but like I don't play that game, the most complex thing I do in Melee is just spam Shiek side tilts.
Two of the most accessible actions to land are throws and shields. Throwing is probably the easiest way to do it, and every character can throw in the air! To demonstrate the speed difference, the first jump is Jack normally landing on the platform, after then he platform land cancels with a grab/throw.

You are also able to land with shield! Though this method requires more precise timing to it as your vertical momentum totally stops when you air dodge. Too fast, and you'll just air dodge and fall under. Too slow, and you'll not land as quickly but you're air dodging without any landing lag so you might be safe anyway. Maybe it's better? Try it out and see!

Platform land canceling is also accesible through various attacks characters may have. So yes, Aku can take advantage of this with his mighty laser, canceling out his attack so he can follow quickly after! Dexter's nair may work with this as well with some timing differences. He can use it just before to let the projectile stay out and land, or time it to just simply land (both seem to have the same landing time so uh I guess just use it). Though many aerials in the game will just fly above the platform and won't land cancel. Try experimenting with your main and see if they have any other cool ways to land cancel!

That's probably all for today. See you soon with some more PTE content! Maybe soon we can talk about the characters and then PTE will have a forum section woohooooooooooo

Amaterachu1

Smash Cadet
Video showcasing unique (for the most part) traits or glitches each character has

Top Bottom