• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any doubts? Yes, me

Excellion

Smash Rookie
So.. Let's say that I mainly play For. Fun.
No, not the online mode. What I'm saying is that atm I'm not interested in (overly) competitive things. Usually I keep playing until I have enough experience to learn easily most advanced techs (e.g. Hopping in MK8)
But anyway.

I could say this WiiU episode is my first SSB, because I do own Brawl, but even without knowing about the Melee veterans (lol) I realized that it was too slow for me.
I find this gameplay way better; so I started playing with various characters: Samus, Bowser, Mac, Ike, Lucina, The Koopalings, Luke. With these, I didn't go far from mediocrity.
Now I started playing "seriously" and I'm currently focusing on Fox and Duck Hunt Duo; unfortunately nobody where I live seems to be interested in this game, so I'm forced to play online (I know, offline is better.. et cetera).
I feel like I'm stuck in a non-complete playstyle. I think that I can't get better just keep fighting online because, for now, I win almost all the matches.

So I decided to ask you about how you usually play, or just some tips

• My opening attack.
This is my biggest problem. I usually start my offensive using a Dash attack, or a grab. This doesn't mean that I don't use the standard combo. What I'm saying is that I think is that my playstyle relies too much on Dash attacks.
So, what other options I have to start an offensive?
  • Dodges.
This is the second biggest as***le. I literally ABUSE of dodges (left and right), while I never use the spot dodge and I know this is something really, really bad.
So, how do you suggest to use the Spot Dodge in various situations? Is simply jumping a good way to not getting hit? When?

That's all for now. Uh, last thing, I want to learn a third character;
I have a general idea of all the movesets in the game, so I made a list of my favourites for now (by relevance):
  1. Rosalina&Luma. I love them as a character, and also how they move. Plus, I have seen that they are played mostly in air, and I want to practice on controlling my char in air.
  2. Zero Suit Samus. Used many times, I don't "understand" her. Maybe I need to use her more, I thank you if you could give me some tips on her.
  3. Lucario, again. He was the best of those I said before, maybe because of his tremendous power on high percentages, I tend to become very reactive when I know that an attack could kill me.
That's really all. Thanks in advance for your answers (a lot, right?) and.. If reading what I wrote you think there is a Character that applies to me better, feel free to suggest it.

Last edited:

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
Well I don't really know much about your characters, but you said you play Duck Hunt and I might be able to give a few pointers on that. As DH you don't want to "open up" the game by bum rushing: DH is a zoning character who has a plethora of projectiles with which he can set up a wall of sorts, one of which you want to optimally be impenetrable . Keep your opponents at a range and when they recklessly try to get past your wall, punish them and get right back to it.

As for rolling, there really isn't anything wrong with rolling a bunch if it's working for you and that's where you want to be as a player. BUT constant rolling against the same person, and especially against someone who can read your strategy will get you punished faster than your mum catching you stealing cookies from a cookie jar. There are other movement options that you can use to get around and not be as predictable: short hopping and fast falling, fox trotting, dance trotting, all viable movement options.

In regards to spot dodging, it's really situational. On my mains if someone is getting grabby on me, a spot dodge into maybe a downsmash, up B, or even a pivot grab of my own is a good follow up to the spot dodge. Like the roll it isn't something you want to constantly abuse but you definitely want to incorporate it into your gameplay at least a little bit.

NoviceSmasher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
akeane1697
3DS FC
3668-8892-8828
So.. Let's say that I mainly play For. Fun.
No, not the online mode. What I'm saying is that atm I'm not interested in (overly) competitive things. Usually I keep playing until I have enough experience to learn easily most advanced techs (e.g. Hopping in MK8)
But anyway.

I could say this WiiU episode is my first SSB, because I do own Brawl, but even without knowing about the Melee veterans (lol) I realized that it was too slow for me.
I find this gameplay way better; so I started playing with various characters: Samus, Bowser, Mac, Ike, Lucina, The Koopalings, Luke. With these, I didn't go far from mediocrity.
Now I started playing "seriously" and I'm currently focusing on Fox and Duck Hunt Duo; unfortunately nobody where I live seems to be interested in this game, so I'm forced to play online (I know, offline is better.. et cetera).
I feel like I'm stuck in a non-complete playstyle. I think that I can't get better just keep fighting online because, for now, I win almost all the matches.

So I decided to ask you about how you usually play, or just some tips

• My opening attack.
This is my biggest problem. I usually start my offensive using a Dash attack, or a grab. This doesn't mean that I don't use the standard combo. What I'm saying is that I think is that my playstyle relies too much on Dash attacks.
  • Dodges.
This is the second biggest as***le. I literally ABUSE of dodges (left and right), while I never use the spot dodge and I know this is something really, really bad.
So, how do you suggest to use the Spot Dodge in various situations? Is simply jumping a good way to not getting hit? When?

That's all for now. Uh, last thing, I want to learn a third character;
I have a general idea of all the movesets in the game, so I made a list of my favourites for now (by relevance):
  1. Rosalina&Luma. I love them as a character, and also how they move. Plus, I have seen that they are played mostly in air, and I want to practice on controlling my char in air.
  2. Zero Suit Samus. Used many times, I don't "understand" her. Maybe I need to use her more, I thank you if you could give me some tips on her.
  3. Lucario, again. He was the best of those I said before, maybe because of his tremendous power on high percentages, I tend to become very reactive when I know that an attack could kill me.
That's really all. Thanks in advance for your answers (a lot, right?) and.. If reading what I wrote you think there is a Character that applies to me better, feel free to suggest it.
try and pick on what the other person is doing alot ,,instead of panicking and rolling,,,for example if you saw a player who rolled alot stand beside them and if you feel they're going to roll hit the other way,,same goes with catching airdodges sidesteps and jumps.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I'd check out specific character forums for strategies as they should be the experienced users you're looking for. If you can't find good randoms online then you should also try matching up against other smashboards users. There's a sparring thread somewhere, but I can't recall where it is.

What I'm saying is that I think is that my playstyle relies too much on Dash attacks.
You could do a running up-smash instead of the dash attack. Depending on your character, you could also short-hop an aerial attack into their face.

Basically if your opponent is right in front of your face, so the spot dodge allows you to counterattack quicker. I don't bother spot-dodging if my opponent is out of range to hit them back immediately, personally.

Top Bottom