• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice- TL vs Olimar

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
More and more people I play seem to be playing as Olimar and I have massive trouble scrimming against him.

First off, I've no idea how skilled I am tbh. I played on the boards friend finder last night n won most games, (How laggy is it online!) and I can beat everyone at my university that I've played so far. With TL I SHDA and RAR and stuff, but still, Olimar always seems to have an advantage. For example-

If I try and stay back and spam, Olimar just spams pickmin not at me, but at my projectiles so they don't hit him. Then if I'm in close I usually end up on the wrong end of his downsmash. The only thing I seem to be able to do is play like a wuss shield grabbing all the time, which obviously becomes predictable. And in the air his jumps are weird and so fair and uair are hard to connect.

So I was just looking for any of his weaknesses really.

Cheers!

Meta4

Smash Rookie
Yeah. Tahtah is right, in a way. You can still use projectiles against Pikmin and Olimar, but your best bet is actually Physical attacks. Don't be scared to be close to him just because he has Pikmin.

Your best bet would probably be ariels and occassional projectile. The projectile I loved to spam when playing my brother, who used to main Olimar, was the bomb. Arrows and the boomerang need more tatically planned uses and more suprise attack situations. Get in his face and put pressure on him. Or at least that is what I have dealt with it in the past. Good luck.:chuckle:

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
bomb olimars ***. hes such a good character and sometimes i think ur shield blocks pikmen lolol becareful of the white ones and ko him fast

Smgzor

Smash Rookie
The best chances i've had against olimar were when i got in close, and tried to stay in there as much as possible, try to get him in the air/knock him off the ledge, he has horrible recovery.

Fire52388

Smash Cadet
Yea, I like to approach with a bunch of RARs whenever possible. If you get past the pikmin throw, a RAR comes in at the perfect angle. Just above his side or down smash and right before his upsmash.

zeionut

Smash Apprentice
i herd bombs are good against him but idk
just be carefull wen u see his pikmin bein thrown at u swat them and get bak and bomb or boomerang but wen the fight gets close beat him up wit everything u got and try to predict wat he does

rhan

Smash Hero
What if Olimar keeps you away from him by throwing pikmin. When he throws them could i use arrows fast enough to stop and or kill the pikmin?

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
i had a problem against olimars too.

wat i do is.try to get close to them with projectiles. their not very good at close combat.
so when you first hit him keep atacking him. if you give him space his gonna keep trowing the pikmins.

u can use projectiles agaisnt them too.but u gotta know ur distance

rhan

Smash Hero
Alright thanks for the help. I'll keep that in mind for my next Toon vs Olimar match.

Rocketface Normus

Smash Rookie
Being an avid Olimar player with a brother who mains Toon Link I can honestly say your best bet would be to SPAM bombs when at a distance. When at close range fight aggressively with aerial attacks, make sure you avoid his purple pikmin, if he hits you with one he can easily regain his distance. Also, try to use Toon Link's dair less than usual, Olimar can eat right through it with his uair, or a few up smashes. That's all I can think of for now.

eMORAY21

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I second rocetface, although as I improve with TL I tend to use his down smash less and less, I'd never use it agains P/O his up moves have prioirty and so you get your *** handed to you most of the time. A bomb throw down then a f or b air works better.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i just finished like 4 battles with a really good olimar. olimars only weakness is his recovery wtf

his arials are good and strong, lol dam c stick makes it un a prouchable unless u mindgame and he can do 50% in like what 4 seconds/ kill off his pikimin and apply presure at all times using ur imtes/prokectiles as an after thought

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Something I've noticed while battling a good Olimar is to watch out for his grab. It's got decent range and very little lag time. He can also use it to rack up damage really fast, depending on what kind of Pikmin he grabs with and the knockback that ensues. Though I've never faced the Whistle Armor before, it's something to be aware of in the air I guess.

soresu

Smash Rookie
Use more arrows. And use the ftilt a lot. You can ftilt at the same speed as olimar throws pikmin and the ftilt beats/kills the pikmin.

The key really is to use arrows to stop the pikmin when he's far away, and use ftilt as he gets to medium range. Once you kill a few of his pikmn, rush in and be aggressive. Spamming neutral a on the ground is pretty effective as well.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
i had a problem against olimars too.

wat i do is.try to get close to them with projectiles. their not very good at close combat.
so when you first hit him keep atacking him. if you give him space his gonna keep trowing the pikmins.

u can use projectiles agaisnt them too.but u gotta know ur distance
Olimar's grab will haunt you if you think this.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Olimar is pretty tricky, but I sorta agree with the aerial approach. Granted, you can't go into a FAir approach because Olimar's Up B conveniently covers that range, and like many people said before, Olimar's Smashes are not to be messed with. They're strong, there's really no way around it.

However, another thing I noticed, depending on if you're playing Standard Tourney Rules or not, you'll want to consider this. I've noticed that counterpicking Delfino Plaza as a stage is rather bad for Olimar, I've seen all but the blue pikmin drown, and in my opinion the blue ones are Olimar's downfall. I suppose Pirate Ship [depending on your counter pick neutral stages available] would have a similar effect, but the water is more apparent in Delfino. And if you're just doing random stages or whatever, this paragraph means nothing at all, haha.

I main Toon Link by the way as well, and I would agree that Olimar is a tough one. Marth as well, but at least Marth is easier to distance. As a last strategy I would recommend against both actually, is Toon Link's forward smash. Yeah, you can't just spam it, it's predictable, but there are ways to mix it up effectively. You can in essence "wait" to use the second hit [and ridiculously strong part of the smash =P] for about a whole second. This can really throw off your opponent if they rush you thinking that you gave up on the smash to retreat of go into something else, let them have the second hit. So many times people underestimate the distance of the second swipe. Now, as with any excellent technique, people eventually learn to avoid it or learn the distance, so I wouldn't suggest focusing your strategy on this.

Well, I hope some of these suggestions helped, good luck with Olimar.

w3bhead

Smash Cadet
Bombs do wonders against Olimar as well as working on your spacing and aerials, sorry if this was vague, but the advice can vary depending on who is using the Olimar

ElSpaniard

Smash Cadet
i play as olimar so the best advise i kan give you is to stay in his face and pressure him with RAR, also make sure to edgehog as much as possible. Also start to note which pikmin he uses for which moves, if its blue be weary of a grab, if its white he will almost always throw it, purples hit hard so turn defensive if he has one up next. just find his pattern and adapt accordingly

Coselm

Smash Ace
Edgehog gimp for the win.

Just don't let him spam the pikmin on you.

If you throw him off the edge, olimars tend to freak. If they waste their double jump, nair or bair them and edgehog. Also, you can use your chain to grab the edge very quicklyso that jsut further helps you gimp olimar.

Honestly, I have never had trouble against an Olimar.

virtuososteve

Smash Apprentice
the best thing that works for me is to rush him, dont let him use a move on u and u using ur projectiles wont work very well. well timed grabs too.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Bomb from the sky and go in for the kill...they are only pikmins..bomb = fire and fire beats stupid flower things haha

MelodiousNocturne

Smash Rookie
Spam the bombs.
I agree with the whole bomb and then charge method except you tend to blow yourself up if pikmin are on you. I've played a few good Olimars (Ino and Chad) and the best tactic is to be extremely aggresive which I tend to have a little trouble seeing as that is not like my usual strategy.

Top Bottom