• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice on how to face charizard?

Crissaegrim

Smash Rookie
Whenever I'm above charizard I feel extremely vulnerable due to his uptilt. Any tips on the matchup?

Cecil St.Cyr

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-3749-9731
Idk what to tell you for this specific match up. I don't really have trouble fighting charizards, not like you'd often find one anyways. But since i happen to play both these characters, i would say just try to stay away from being above him, as there's no hope in over powering his up tilt for mario, or any character i believe. Be aware of charizards rock smash, especially when going for the uptilt combos. Im pretty sure he can use it immediately if you try this at 0 percent. Also be careful on fireball usage, because he could just flare blitz through them. Try to distance yourself and find openings, because charizard has much more range than mario, and can just space you out with his d-tilt or even his jab. One thing to watch out for is charizards jab, which does 12%, and at kill percentages, his jab 2 can combo into fly, which a good charizard will surely try to abuse. He also has a kill throw which im sure you're aware of, so at around 120ish percent try to avoid being grabbed at all costs because if it's fresh that's pretty much a guranteed kill. Also another thing to watch out for. When charizard down throws you should almost always jump. If you air dodge there's a hugh chance you could be frame trapped. When playing a couple opponents as charizard when they dodged my fair if i FastFall i could almost always get them with my jab, which at low percentages leads into another fair. At that point they could either get hit or frame trapped again. So try jumping as it's your best bet. You should also keep wall jumping as an open recovery option, but be aware if you become predictable a charizard could try to dair you. Also if you happen to get trapped by his flametrower off stage, don't frantically tap up b, as you'll most likely land on srage and be open to a forward smash, which will most likely result in a lost stock. You'll want to fall down a good distance where you can up b and auto snap on the ledge, but be aware you've most likely been hit out of your second jump. Also i would advise against heavy offstage edge gaurding of charizard, as his recovery options have super armor. That is unless, let's say you're at a low percentage and you sent him pretty far off the stage, you could try eating up a flare blitz to the face in order to gimp his horizontal recovery, or possibly put the charizard in a bad position. But if he saved his jumps this tactic would pretty much be useless. Idk what else i could say. Sorry for the long response.Hope some of this information helped though

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Wasting a Master Ball on Charizard? That's for Mewtwo.

NeoRed

Smash Cadet
Whenever I'm above charizard I feel extremely vulnerable due to his uptilt. Any tips on the matchup?
The same as with Little mac. They will spam Flare Blitz. See, just use d-throw and up tilt and get some damage. Then, they will psychologically want to balance the game by using Flare Blitz. That's why you should just play defensive and use a lot of run up shields.

This is why L. Mac isn't really good, because all you have to do is play defensively and they're done for. Who knows, Little mac might even SD using Jolt Haymaker.

OwenMaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
OwenMaster3DHD
3DS FC
0516-7651-4373
Charizard really isn't a hard character for Mario u should space more with fireballs and wait for ur punish also if ur scared of his up tilt don't go for aerial moves as much me personally I use run up bair to space out hopefully it helps u fellow Mario main

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
I'll add my two cents on this.
Watch out for Zards jab, f-tilt and down-tilt since they outrange Mario's moves. When comboing him, beware of Rock Smash and its super armor. But because of his huge hurtbox, Charizard will eat up a good amount of % before he can escape with it. Careful with landing, he has good anti-air moves: up-tilt, up smash and up B. To get kills on Zard, use a well spaced pivot jump cancelled up smash or even a f-smash if you get a good read.

As for stages, in case of a tournament setting, don't take Zard to Duck Hunt. If his up throw lands on the top of the tree, you can die pretty early. FD or Smashville would probably be your best choices, Lylat isn't too bad either.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Fireballs are good for Mario. Also Zard has bad aerials so well-spaced aerial approaches can be good against him. Mario juggles Charizard pretty well though. Nair crossups and spaced Bair are good, though you do have to be careful around Zard's shield thanks to his strong grab game as well as Usmash/Up-B OoS. Really just be patient and abuse your superior air game and you should have the advantage. Up tilt is good for Zard but has limited horizontal reach and can be baited and beaten with good spacing. Mario totally has the aerial mobility to play around it. Zard has limited options for dealing with diagonal approaches from someone as mobile as Mario.

MeteorSpike

Smash Cadet
Neither Zard's UTilt nor USmash are faster than Mario's better approac
hing aerials, such as NAir and DAir.
If Zard is preempting you with either move, a more patient playstyle might fare better, in addition to baiting Zard into doing those moves, since both are punishable on whiff, much less block.
Zard's USmash is more suited to hitting in front, while UTilt is more suited to hitting behind; both have strong upwards coverage, as exepected.
Zard literally cannot land in your face, barring autocancelled NAir's, or empty-fastfall/empty-landing mixups, I think Mario has a smooth time punishing Zard's landings, unless he comes down with a fresh NeutralB Flamethrower on you.
Zard seems to have a hard time escaping UTilt strings and DTilt strings, aside from jumping away, but that means Zard will be forfeiting stage presence/control anyways.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
A skilled Lizardon player will not use Flare Blitz unless he knows it will hit, such as when you are landing. He also will try to space you out, and tends to use Rock Smash to break combos. SH autocanceled nairs and fairs will also be quite common.

Top Bottom