• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice for someone going to their first tournament?

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
like how is it set up? can you normally use customs? if so then do i have to train against people using customs? Are you allowed to switch characters? should i be worried about someone counter picking(or is that cheating in tourney rules)? Also i loved the gamecube controller in brawl but only have the 3ds version of the game. The place hosting the tournament is using the wii u version of the game. Should i stick to the 3ds as a controller or gamecube?
Sorry for all the questions but thank you for taking the time to read them!
P.S. i need lots of practice so if you want to battle me send me a message or respond here. :)

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Most tournaments are double-elimination. Best two of three. It's usually up to the tournament organizer to determine if customs will be legal or not. I'm not sure if the rules for Smash tournaments are different, but for every other fighting game I've played only the loser is allowed to switch characters unless they've reset the bracket. Use whatever controller you feel most comfortable.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I'm not sure if the rules for Smash tournaments are different, but for every other fighting game I've played only the loser is allowed to switch characters unless they've reset the bracket.
In my experience, most people don't care whether or not folks switch. But in terms of the actual rules, if I recall correctly, usually the winner can change characters, but he/she must do so before the loser, and he/she can't switch characters again after the loser picks a character.

As for controllers, I'd recommend using the GameCube controller, but if you think that might mess up your muscle memory, maybe don't. Get there early and play some friendlies with both, and then you can make the call at that point.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
Whether or not customs are on varies from tournament to tournament, so check out the exact ruleset for the tournament beforehand.

In regards to character swaps and counterpicking, the usual method for choosing stages and characters is as follows:
At the beginning, players both select their character, double blind. This means that neither player knows what character the other player is choosing when they choose theirs.
After selecting characters, players take turns striking stages from the starter list (again, check the rules for your tournament for this list, and the exact striking order), and then play on the last remaining stage.
(*) After a player has won a game, the winner bans a certain number of stages (check the exact number), and the loser picks the next stage from the list of starter stages plus the list of counterpick stages. The loser cannot pick a stage that they have won on previously in the set. Then the winner chooses their character, then the loser chooses their character.
Repeat (*) until you have a winner!

As to controllers, just use whatever you are most comfortable with. I personally greatly prefer the gamecube controller, but if you practice with a 3ds a lot then you might prefer to use it in the tournament. The only banned controllers will be ones with hardware modifications that give you an unfair advantage, and the wii u gamepad, because only one gamepad can be attached to a wii u at a time.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Whether or not customs are on varies from tournament to tournament, so check out the exact ruleset for the tournament beforehand.

In regards to character swaps and counterpicking, the usual method for choosing stages and characters is as follows:
At the beginning, players both select their character, double blind. This means that neither player knows what character the other player is choosing when they choose theirs.
After selecting characters, players take turns striking stages from the starter list (again, check the rules for your tournament for this list, and the exact striking order), and then play on the last remaining stage.
(*) After a player has won a game, the winner bans a certain number of stages (check the exact number), and the loser picks the next stage from the list of starter stages plus the list of counterpick stages. The loser cannot pick a stage that they have won on previously in the set. Then the winner chooses their character, then the loser chooses their character.
Repeat (*) until you have a winner!

As to controllers, just use whatever you are most comfortable with. I personally greatly prefer the gamecube controller, but if you practice with a 3ds a lot then you might prefer to use it in the tournament. The only banned controllers will be ones with hardware modifications that give you an unfair advantage, and the wii u gamepad, because only one gamepad can be attached to a wii u at a time.
woah wow did not know about the stages thing. Oh btw with this game in perticular will they do 8 player smash? cause im much better at 1 v 1. i feel like someone will uses bowser and just sit on the opponent i rack up damage with. Oh also about controllers! do they provide you with them? my GameCube controller is a little..old. i think gamecube is more natural to me since 4 years of brawl and then you got melee on top of that.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
Oh btw with this game in perticular will they do 8 player smash? cause im much better at 1 v 1.
Tournaments will usually run several different events, typically including at least 1v1 and 2v2. I don't know about 3v3 and 4v4, but they seem like formats that could have a really interesting dynamic. The events will vary from tournament to tournament though, so you will be able to find out what is running after you select a specific tournament.

Oh also about controllers! do they provide you with them?
I don't know of any tournament that provides you with controllers, so you will almost certainly need to bring your own. I typically bring 2 spare controllers to events for new people to use, but I expect people to look into getting their own controllers as soon as possible, and it is not a guarantee that there will be any one at your events doing the same. You'll also find that using your own controller will feel better, as it will be worn in in a way that is familiar to you, and you can know for sure that it works properly.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
thanks! any other advice?
Just try to have fun, and don't get too down on yourself if you start to lose, I didn't win a single game at the first tournament I went to. It is very easy to get frustrated if some one is beating you and your place in the tournament is on the line, but keeping a level head and adapting to what they are doing is the best way to both win and learn. Also, try and play as many good players as you can, that's an experience that you probably won't be able to get outside of tournaments, and will help you improve tremendously. Don't be afraid to ask people for advice on your game either, every one I have ever met at a tournament has been super friendly and willing to help other players grow, and figure out where the holes in their game are. Lastly, get lots of rest before the event so that you don't get exhausted half way through the day!

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Just try to have fun, and don't get too down on yourself if you start to lose, I didn't win a single game at the first tournament I went to. It is very easy to get frustrated if some one is beating you and your place in the tournament is on the line, but keeping a level head and adapting to what they are doing is the best way to both win and learn. Also, try and play as many good players as you can, that's an experience that you probably won't be able to get outside of tournaments, and will help you improve tremendously. Don't be afraid to ask people for advice on your game either, every one I have ever met at a tournament has been super friendly and willing to help other players grow, and figure out where the holes in their game are. Lastly, get lots of rest before the event so that you don't get exhausted half way through the day!
thanks! oh and a big one i forgot to mention! this tournament is all day long. are there no breaks? i can't play on an empty stomach and fatigue is sure to effect players so how do they handle it? Or do i just eat a HUGE breakfast or something.

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
thanks! oh and a big one i forgot to mention! this tournament is all day long. are there no breaks? i can't play on an empty stomach and fatigue is sure to effect players so how do they handle it? Or do i just eat a HUGE breakfast or something.
There will be breaks, don't worry about that! The person who wins the tournament will only end up having to play around 10 sets or so, so even they won't have to play non-stop. The pools for each different event (1v1, 2v2 etc) should be at different times, so you will have some space in between them, and there will most probably be a bit of time between pools and bracket. (This is assuming that the tournament does something like round robin pools into a top 32 bracket) The exact schedule for the specific tournament would probably help you more, as it would tell you how long is scheduled for what, and when your down time will be.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
I haven't been to any tournaments but I can help you with advice, No you can't use customs, Your only allowed to use 1 or 2 characters, And controller... Pick the one that best suits your playstyle

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Most tournaments allow custom special moves, but I haven't heard of one allowing equipment. Like others said, it depends on the tournament.

Speaking of tournaments, any news on the online tourney mode? No? Ok, I didn't think so.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
Most tournaments allow custom special moves, but I haven't heard of one allowing equipment. Like others said, it depends on the tournament.

Speaking of tournaments, any news on the online tourney mode? No? Ok, I didn't think so.
so i SHOULD vs people with customs. thing is i don't know A thing about customs so they will have that as a surprise over me :/
i don't even have all customs unlocked! well does anyone know the most used customs on tournaments so i have at least a heads up?

Wibbles

Smash Cadet
so i SHOULD vs people with customs. thing is i don't know A thing about customs so they will have that as a surprise over me :/
i don't even have all customs unlocked! well does anyone know the most used customs on tournaments so i have at least a heads up?
I think that this is the list that most people push for tournaments to use http://smashboards.com/threads/official-standard-custom-moveset-project-initial-release.381395/ I think that some smaller tournaments will let you make your own sets and upload them before your set though.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Trust me, it's ok if you're surprised. I think that if you ask anyone how their first tournament went, they'll say something like this:
"I had my *** handed to me on a golden platter by someone who was playing as [insert cute or non-threatening-looking character here]!"

Omonito

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3738-0047-0553
thanks! i didn't end up going but when i do this will come in handy!
Also:
-Don't get hit
-Don't get hit
and most importantly,
-Don't get hit

カワシさん

Sort of adding to this piece of advice, if you start to lose, don't lose hope. I've never been to tournaments but I'm sure there is a lot of pressure in tournaments, and if you start to lose, you shouldn't give up. I personally have had an experience with this. I was trying out Mr. Game and Watch on FG 1v1 on the 3DS, and my opponent was beating me so bad. We both got to 1 stock, and I tried to recovered but it didn't make it. My opponent went off the stage for a meteor smash and I used Judgement, then I got a... 9. Because of this, I won the match. So, don't give up. Also, try to ignore any pressure and just focus on the game at hand.

Graminthesalmon

Smash Cadet
Don't over think it. It's not likely that you will win or even get very far if it is your very first tournament because tournaments are different in many ways from friendlies or money matches. So don't put your hopes super high and don't get upset when you get eliminated, just train and come back stronger and more prepared because everyone has to start somewhere.

Top Bottom