• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice for a new link main?

kireavan

Smash Cadet
I main Luigi in melee and I wanted to use him to in PM but he just doesn't feel the same, but when I see link players in PM in videos matches, it just fascinates me and I just wanna know the basics for link,

like match ups, good maps and bad, what should I do in the neutral game, basic combos, different recoveries, what should i practice with him by myself, Plz help.

Last edited:

Simmonick

Smash Cadet
First off welcome to camp town. Learn how to keep your projectiles out almost at all times, if you can't control the stage, you're doing something wrong.

Practice all his recovery options. Like his glide toss (where you throw a bomb up in the air, jump, then b-up to get some more distance) and air dodge into his tether for added distance. Then practice tether canceling for mix ups. And of course sweet spotting his up-b

Learn to get easy kills off reads with his up-b. Up-b out of shield. Down throw into a Dair is a really good option as well. Practice using his excellent nair. Use the boomerang to set up kills with fair. Try to learn as much bomb-tech as you can (you can find good videos for it)

Also have fun sniping people that are offstage with your arrows.

Last edited:

kireavan

Smash Cadet
First off welcome to camp town. Learn how to keep your projectiles out almost at all times, if you can't control the stage, you're doing something wrong.

Practice all his recovery options. Like his glide toss (where you throw a bomb up in the air, jump, then b-up to get some more distance) and air dodge into his tether for added distance. Then practice tether canceling for mix ups. And of course sweet spotting his up-b

Learn to get easy kills off reads with his up-b. Up-b out of shield. Down throw into a Dair is a really good option as well. Practice using his excellent nair. Use the boomerang to set up kills with fair. Try to learn as much bomb-tech as you can (you can find good videos for it)

Also have fun sniping people that are offstage with your arrows.
Thank you, i will train my ass off to be the best link in social (:

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Learn him while you can...he gonna get nerfed lol. Basically what Simmonick said and try to watch Link mains and see how their playstyle is.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Learn him while you can...he gonna get nerfed lol
Well poop. I love Link. I was so stoked that he was as ridiculous as he is in PM.

All in all, glad I stumbled on this thread. I'm still a little rusty on Link's strengths and weaknesses in PM. I've been mostly screwing around with YL in Melee, and there's some differences there.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I don't see Link taking truly significant nerfs since it's seriously not necessary, but always keep his boomerang out and put yourself in a position to catch it. If it hits at midrange you can literally always follow up with a nair for free. If you know you're gonna whiff, or you whiff on purpose, then is a good time to pull out a boomb while jumping away from the opponent. From there you can either set it down with short hop Z or use it in tandem with another boomerang. Punish bad rolls and neutral get ups from knock downs with upB. Do the same to people who can't sweet spot recoveries very well. Those tips alone will get you pretty far amongst a crowd of intermediate players.

Do not let someone get in your face. Link can not handle pressure at all because all of your moves are kinda slow, proven when you look at frame data and compare it to others. You might have a sweet disjointed hit box, but nothing you do is faster than anyone else except maybe nair. Your jab gets beat by everyone else's jab, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom