• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any advanced guitar players here, I need some advice....

link2702

Smash Champion
Link to original post: [drupal=4752]any advanced guitar players here, I need some advice....[/drupal]

...on how to set up my guitar.

basically i'm getting some annoying fret buzz and i can't get it to go away, so before i derp things up anymore, i'd like some help/advice from anyone who knows about how to set up a guitar...

if worse comes to worse i'll have to pay to get it setup/repaired, but i really dont' want to if i can avoid it...

my Guitar is an Ibanez AF-75

Le vieux lapin

Smash Ace
It could be a low bridge action, a loose fitting string in the nut (too much room), worn
down frets, old soldering, bad electronics...

Is the fret buzz produced when the guitar is plugged in? Or not?

jmlee337

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
LEE#337
Something you could try would be just restringing with thicker gauge strings. There's a chance that could take care of it and you won't need to do any adjustments.

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
When it comes to fret buzz, it's best to get it repaired. Fret buzz could be anything, and the most common causes require a good amount of precision tools to correct.

It's most likely:

A) Your bridge is too low/high, which could create an unwanted node at any point on the string, causing it to lock up and buzz.

B) String gauge problem. Overly fat or thin strings can oscillate in the grooves on the nut giving it a hideous buzz.

C) You didn't wind your strings tight enough, or they're worn out.

There're a bunch ways to test for each one (kinda). If A, it'll buzz on all frets. If B, it'll buzz only on open notes. If C, it'll buzz on specific frets.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
i had to bring my taylor into the shop to get that fixed, may want to just leave it to them

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did you try soaking your guitar in orange juice overnight?
When I first saw this post I thought it was a joke and I laughed, and then I realized it's serious and I laughed harder.

link2702

Smash Champion
i just went ahead and took it to a shop

400+ guitar, and considering i already derped up some stuff, i figured i might as well before i do even worse.

eh...the strings needed to be replaced anyway......just really wish i knew how to do stuff liek this myself

Top Bottom