• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Trump Guide By Beefy Smash Doods

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

When Smash 4 was released a new mechanic came with it in ledge trumps. While many players have been experimenting in how it can be used in competitive play it is still a confusing concept to many. For those players that may have encounters opponents well versed in how to maximize punishes from a ledge trump Beefy Smash Doods have created a tutorial specifically on how to avoid getting trumped. Give it a watch and use the information to improve your Smash game!

SmashCapps hopes people will find the video helpful. To keep up with him and all things Smash follow him on Twitter and check out Beefy Smash Doods on Twitter as well.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
I'm really glad ledge trumping is in the game, it encourages offstage play.
#gimpycat

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The beefy Up-B is the beefiest move is Sm4sh. Also this guide to not getting trumped sure 'trumps' the other ones out there :p

D

Deleted member

I'm still not sure how I feel about ledge trumping, but the system is a lot better than Melee's...

D

Deleted member

I'm still not sure how I feel about ledge trumping, but the system is a lot better than Melee's...
Meh. I personally liked it better when you had to work hard for the ledge, but I can see how others could like this system more.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
=.=
The "hold down to prevent yourself from grabbing the ledge" thing was discovered such a long time ago. I don't know when, but I remember Brawl Toons and other characters using it as a recovery mixup for a long time.
I saw this video posted on Reddit and ignored it because the Reddit community is kinda hivemind-ey against certain things, and one of those certain things is bashing "new techs" without proof.
I didn't really have any proof to back it up-- the only thing I kinda remember is a VOD of either MJG or Kingtoon using it against some MK in 2012 or 2013 or something, probably Anti or Nairo.

Sigh.
I'm really sorry for being "that guy", but it just feels really weird because this has been a tech that I've been familiarized with for a long time, and I thought everyone already knew. And the fact that the person who "discovers" it names it after himself just makes it feel even weirder.

I mean, imagine if I "discovered" some unnamed, useful tech, say, fastfalling off of the ledge of the lower Battlefield platforms and I named it the "Curry fall".
That was kind of bad. Ok, imagine how you would feel if I had "discovered" the wavedash today, named it the "Curry Slide", put it in a video, it gains popularity among the competitive scene, and people started using the term?
That's how I feel right now.
Sorry for bashing this video, I just wanted to get that out. :(

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Meh. I personally liked it better when you had to work hard for the ledge, but I can see how others could like this system more.
I don't really have a problem with ledge hogging (although, it's kind of bothersome and benefits characters that may have balance changes to their recovery due to the fact that they can't sweetspot ledges), I mostly dislike how campy you can be on ledges.

M2K made a video called, like "Why 20XX will Probably Happen" showing off a trick on Yoshi's where you get a free hop to the outer platforms with how long ledge invincibility lingers. Stuff like that just seems unnecessary, though, I will say, it's a high skill ceiling for people who actually care to learn it.

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
I personally find this new ledge mechanic better than the old one. With the old one, it was just a simple matter of timing to get a gimp, but with ledge trumping, you can't simply timing the grabbing of the ledge and gimp them anymore, but you have to now follow up with something, or get a proper read on them. It also allows for some insane back and forth between players on the ledge, allowing for extended off stage play, which was never enabled in past.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
=.=
The "hold down to prevent yourself from grabbing the ledge" thing was discovered such a long time ago.
That's not part of anything new.
It's to clearify the following stuff.
I thought this would be kinda obvious.

edit: also back when this technique got it's name, the Beefy Smash Doods didn't even exist yet.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
That's not part of anything new.
It's to clearify the following stuff.
I thought this would be kinda obvious.
He names the tech as if it were something that he discovered new though. The guide would've done just as well if he just taught the inputs that makes you up-B and not grab the edge.

I would rather not start an argument reply chain please... what's done has been done, and this is rather a stupid topic, fussing over the naming of an AT... =_=

Last edited:

loincloth

Smash Rookie
=.=
The "hold down to prevent yourself from grabbing the ledge" thing was discovered such a long time ago. I don't know when, but I remember Brawl Toons and other characters using it as a recovery mixup for a long time.
I saw this video posted on Reddit and ignored it because the Reddit community is kinda hivemind-ey against certain things, and one of those certain things is bashing "new techs" without proof.
I didn't really have any proof to back it up-- the only thing I kinda remember is a VOD of either MJG or Kingtoon using it against some MK in 2012 or 2013 or something, probably Anti or Nairo.

Sigh.
I'm really sorry for being "that guy", but it just feels really weird because this has been a tech that I've been familiarized with for a long time, and I thought everyone already knew. And the fact that the person who "discovers" it names it after himself just makes it feel even weirder.

I mean, imagine if I "discovered" some unnamed, useful tech, say, fastfalling off of the ledge of the lower Battlefield platforms and I named it the "Curry fall".
That was kind of bad. Ok, imagine how you would feel if I had "discovered" the wavedash today, named it the "Curry Slide", put it in a video, it gains popularity among the competitive scene, and people started using the term?
This is totally legit to call out. These "doods" are just trying to promote themselves in trying to get this name to stick. It's dishonest at worst and clueless at best. Even if they thought this was new tech, it's fine to note that, hey, it's simply not. Also, the name is dumb? :\

I will give their video credit for this, though: I had been introduced to the tech via Vex on stream randomly explaining how he uses it with Dark Fists to add another threat to the dynamics of Ganondorf with customs, and I never put together how it might apply to literally every other up special in the game. This is good to know.

Gr4pefru1t

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Octorock
I was playing the 3ds version all the way up to the Wii U version launch. When the Wii U Version came out, I found a something similar to Beefy Up B. (Starting from Ledge): Fast Fall > Immediately Up B. Because you already grabbed the ledge, the game won't let you re-grab for quite some time. So, your up B will go right through the ledge without the need to hold down. Good for falcon and mario to name some.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
OH! Damn, I was sleepy...I opened this up to watch later and this whole time I thought it was Anti-Turnip Guide, like vs Peach I guess haha

But wow, very good guide!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ledge trumping is so dumb. Almost as dumb as tripping. I also hate the brawl mechanic of "every recovery = sweetspot.. no spacing needed"

Why could they just not go back to what was prove to create a fun edge game in 64 and melee, where grabbing the ledge was a challenge and there was good reward for agressive off stage play.... I'll never know.

Ledge trumping + Low shield stun + rolls being a good option are the main reasons I don't enjoy smash 4 as a competitive game. Which sucks, because I really like the game aside from these 3 factors.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
=.=
The "hold down to prevent yourself from grabbing the ledge" thing was discovered such a long time ago.
[......]
Ok, imagine how you would feel if I had "discovered" the wavedash today, named it the "Curry Slide", put it in a video, it gains popularity among the competitive scene, and people started using the term?
Hey man, I did most of this guide, and belive me, I also dont wanna start a reply chain^^ but I thought I could reply to this matter, since I also had concerns about if I actually should "name it" and if that would make a good - sorta funny - impression or would rather seem arrogant or self-promoting.

The main reason I decided to name it myself, even tho it was (kinda) known already, was that I couldnt find any name of that AT.. I think if an AT exists, it should have a name :)

As for the name itself, beefy up-b fits it perfectly imo^^ because, well.. its risky sometimes! If it seemed like pure self-promotion and/or if I made anyone feel weird about it, i'm sorry..
But I still think the name is cool and hope people will start using this tech and "our" name for it :)

Last edited:

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864
Ledge trumping is so dumb. Almost as dumb as tripping. I also hate the brawl mechanic of "every recovery = sweetspot.. no spacing needed"

Why could they just not go back to what was prove to create a fun edge game in 64 and melee, where grabbing the ledge was a challenge and there was good reward for agressive off stage play.... I'll never know.

Ledge trumping + Low shield stun + rolls being a good option are the main reasons I don't enjoy smash 4 as a competitive game. Which sucks, because I really like the game aside from these 3 factors.
It was meant to be a party game. So they had to make it easier for the casuals.

Last edited:

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
Smash 4's ledge mechanics aren't perfect, but in my opinion they're a vast improvement over ledge hogging. Good video.

Nate22Hill

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nate22Hill

When Smash 4 was released a new mechanic came with it in ledge trumps. While many players have been experimenting in how it can be used in competitive play it is still a confusing concept to many. For those players that may have encounters opponents well versed in how to maximize punishes from a ledge trump Beefy Smash Doods have created a tutorial specifically on how to avoid getting trumped. Give it a watch and use the information to improve your Smash game!

SmashCapps hopes people will find the video helpful. To keep up with him and all things Smash follow him on Twitter and check out Beefy Smash Doods on Twitter as well.
does the up b technique work with C.falcon???

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
HOLY...
I didn't even know holding down caused that with the ledges...
At least, when it comes to recovery moves.
Sweet.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ledgetrumping... The worst change in the history of Smash bros... I would take tripping any day of the week if I could get my old ledge mechanics back. This is one of the reasons I can't take this game seriously as a competitive game.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Ledgetrumping... The worst change in the history of Smash bros... I would take tripping any day of the week if I could get my old ledge mechanics back. This is one of the reasons I can't take this game seriously as a competitive game.
Gotta love all these dillusional people that say it adds depth to the game though, or even worse "encourages off stage play even more" Nope. Not when the ledge is free like EAAAASSSY MONEYYYY

Last edited:

L1GHT

Adventures start At Dawn
the beefy up b is a such a lame name. we should call it "HAAA GOT CHA"

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Gotta love all these dillusional people that say it adds depth to the game though, or even worse "encourages off stage play even more" Nope. Not when the ledge is free like EAAAASSSY MONEYYYY
Look guys, we all know melee is great. It's very intense and technical and it's arguably better for competitive play than Brawl. But can you honestly say that Melee's ledge grab mechanics are as interesting as Smash 4's, what with not only ledge trumping existing, but anti-ledge trumping as well? Can you honestly say that holding onto the ledge for a second at the right time (melee/brawl) is more interesting to have than, say, the possibility of predicting a ledge trump, acting accordingly by doing a "up-beefy," grabbing the ledge after they do, and then punishing them? And that being just one fhe many ways to act in such a situation, with multiple opportunities and choices for mix-ups there? I would think that Smash 4 obviously has the superior ledge game because it's much more technical in that area.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Look guys, we all know melee is great. It's very intense and technical and it's arguably better for competitive play than Brawl. But can you honestly say that Melee's ledge grab mechanics are as interesting as Smash 4's, what with not only ledge trumping existing, but anti-ledge trumping as well? Can you honestly say that holding onto the ledge for a second at the right time (melee/brawl) is more interesting to have than, say, the possibility of predicting a ledge trump, acting accordingly by doing a "up-beefy," grabbing the ledge after they do, and then punishing them? And that being just one fhe many ways to act in such a situation, with multiple opportunities and choices for mix-ups there? I would think that Smash 4 obviously has the superior ledge game because it's much more technical in that area.
You're forgetting that the ledge game in melee requires PERFECT sweetspotting. A mechanic removed in brawl to water the game down for casuals.

You're forgetting that by taking away edgehogging, you lose a lot of really cool gimp opportunities.

Ledge Trumping isn't "Technical" in the slightest. It's different, sure, but it basically encourages you to just give the guy the ledge for free and win in the neutral game. There's no high risk / high reward on the ledge anymore which is one of the best things about smash.

Mochamico

Smash Cadet
NNID
FancyPancy
3DS FC
3437-4422-3883
I personally don't care for Melee's ledge mechanics, I prefer Smash 4. I like fighting offstage and edgehogging kind of discourages that for me. I think ledge trumping and the "beefy up b" adds more to the game. Smash 4 isn't perfect by far, but I think the new ledges are an improvement over it's predecessors.

Top Bottom