• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

anti shield pressure tactics

M2Q

Smash Cadet
help me, frame data wizards.

For characters who primarily use jab as a way of keeping shield pressure (I'm pretty much thinking about sheik and falcon here), is it possible to z-drop or Q-drop a turnip OoS after their aerial connects? How many frames of leniency is there?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Frame 6, but it has terrible range. Don't do it unless they are right on top of you which should be rare if your opponent is any good.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Would FC nair/bair oos come out in time before the jabs catch us, or..?
Depends on who is hitting you and how frame negative their stuff is on shield. I don't think there's ever an instance where FC nair/bair will beat a jab after aerial on shield. At least, not an important instance you have to consider like G&W's uair into jab or something XD Jabs are pretty fast and FC nair/bair is pretty slow. Marth weak aerial might be vulnerable before the jab, but he should never be doing that to you in the first place.
TLDR you shouldn't be trying to beat jabs on your shield with FC nair/bair. Best options IMO is to read the jab and either ASDI down grab or wait and shield grab the jab. Or wait and roll after jab.

M2Q

Smash Cadet
Frame 6, but it has terrible range. Don't do it unless they are right on top of you which should be rare if your opponent is any good.
My strategy with this effectively increases the range of z-drop turnip. I want to z-drop before their jab comes out so they're forced to catch the turnip

Sycorax

Smash Ace
My strategy with this effectively increases the range of z-drop turnip. I want to z-drop before their jab comes out so they're forced to catch the turnip
LMAO That's hilarious and just might be janky enough to work. Go for it.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Forgot this existed lmfao. I've definitely used that in friendlies before too, so yeah it works. If the jab ever goes through because the turnip catch(?) box is too small, it can still be an option if you have time to recatch and grow it between stocks or after hitting away. 99% sure it's a dumb question, but we can't recatch turnips before they hit the ground after float --> release float --> Z-dropping them at all right? Or is it just a really tight window?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Forgot this existed lmfao. I've definitely used that in friendlies before too, so yeah it works. If the jab ever goes through because the turnip catch(?) box is too small, it can still be an option if you have time to recatch and grow it between stocks or after hitting away. 99% sure it's a dumb question, but we can't recatch turnips before they hit the ground after float --> release float --> Z-dropping them at all right? Or is it just a really tight window?
There's a 32 frame window to recatch thrown turnips in the air. It's something absurdly longer for Z dropped ones. You best bet is to release it in the air, and then catch it while standing on the ground. This gets around the recatch downtime window. So like, Z drop then land quickly then catch with A again.

Top Bottom