• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

anti-roy tactics

marthbeatsroy

Smash Cadet
How do I defeat someone with a stupid giant sword? his stupid sword never lets me get close to him. My brother tends to be aggressive with roy, so there's not that much time to charge my shadow ball. I don't know how to beat roy. please help

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Yeah... if you're wondering why they're being a little harsh on you, try playing a marth instead of a roy.

FYI, marth's sweetspot is at the TIP for 20 and massive knockback, whereas roy's tip basically smacks you for like 8 damage.

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, you should be able to juggle him with ease, approach/spam with shadowball because roy is slow and has no good way to deal with projectiles. Then D-tilt combo him to oblivion.

Plus his attacks are far more laggier than marths, and has a terrible recovery. It has been argued before that his is one of the worst characters in the game.

Use you speed, you should be fine.

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, you should be able to juggle him with ease, approach/spam with shadowball because roy is slow and has no good way to deal with projectiles. Then D-tilt combo him to oblivion.

Plus his attacks are far more laggier than marths, and has a terrible recovery. It has been argued before that his is one of the worst characters in the game.

Use your speed, you should be fine.

****, accidentally glitched a double post.....

ERRRR, i mean, I've never made a mistake in my life! I reposted this again for emphasis.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Roy is a compleate and utter dissapointment as far as sword weilding characters go. Im guessing that your friends roy isn't really "good" and as you said before he likes to be aggressive, that's just what you want. Most roys and marths are cocky (especially bad ones) by taht I mean that he will try for F smash or alot of smash attacks or highly predictable moves. Just WD out of the way and when he is still recovering from the massive roy LAG just WD grab or do anything else that you want. Roy shouldn't be a huge challenge for m2 now marth on the other hand......well we will get into that later
Hope this helps

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I'm sorry airo T.T but it's pretty true. Roy can't do much against CC and Dtilt wrecks him.

KrF2

Smash Cadet
How do I defeat someone with a stupid giant sword? his stupid sword never lets me get close to him. My brother tends to be aggressive with roy, so there's not that much time to charge my shadow ball. I don't know how to beat roy. please help
1)teleport
2)disable
3)runaway/play defense
4)tilt and poke him
5)he has no projectile spam it(at proper distances)
6)he need to take damage when near you, bait him into mistakes

Try this.

If he wants to spam grab.
1)runaway and "play stupid" with WD near his max range (when you see him whiffing poke him with JC disable or ftilt)
2)throw a fireball mid range if he gets hit or blocks grab him if he jumps uptilt him into JC uair or WD under him and SH grab him.
3)If he Fairs a lot ftilt him it will beat it
4)If he likes to flare blade spot dodge(predict the flare blade) it or roll away(safer)

Your gameplan is...

Poke/grab and run away and when he makes a mistake(like whiffing or getting hit with disable)smash,b,upthrow or fair.

use disable and teleport(both have to be timed right and do not get predictable).

disable beats all of marths/roys attacks and teleport(when timed right and not predictablly used) counters marth/roy because they don't have a projectile.CC when hit.

Things to keep in mind...

*Do not stand still
*Do not try to outfight them up close(hit and run,predict and counter,bait bait bait)
*Do not overuse smashes(they are exclusively finishers and situational attacks when someone makes a mistake that leaves them open for a long time(1-2 second) smash overwise poke,grab, run)
*Do not ever(in any fighting game) go where they want/setting up for you to go. Always stay as random and tricky as possible. If they are expecting you to jump after them WD back or WD under them. If they are constantly hitting you with a attack/strat+attack them move into a spot or play in a way that is very foriegn for them.
*Do not play to a character's/players strengths. Do what your character/you do well. play your game.
*Be consistant. Absolute most important thing.
*Change up your offense when they are catching on but still play your game.Mewtwo is not an offensive character(luigi is)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Hmm. Being consistent =/= being random with mindgames, no?

And you can go really close to a roy. Just CC everything he has. Except Fsmash, don't get hit by that (WD, or shield if you can, or just Dtilt before they hit you). And Mewtwo is floaty enough so that you can DI away from the first 2 hits of DED, so they can't hit you with the third and stronger one.

Top Bottom