• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Mario strategies?

Glyphagos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphagos
3DS FC
0490-7952-6058
Dealing with this italian plumber has become an annoyance, I can D.I out of his Uptilt but the rest is just pure struggle to see who can zone over who and honestly this is becoming stressful as rolling rewards Mario too much (Which makes me know I'm doing something wrong since I'm doing bad at punishing them) Down+Smash? nah he'll space himself before he rolls and attempt to pivot grab me to do his combos. I would like to know how to do the neutral right. I've grown tired of just SHFF everywhere, missing and outright stalling the match since we both keep missing eachother until one of us makes a slip up and that's the end of it.

Last edited:

kinda

Smash Rookie
I just started playing zss but had the opportunity to play against a decent mario at a tournament. I feel zair is a fantastic option for Zss against mario because it just straight up eats his fireballs and still hits him. use it wisely because he can still run up power shield punish if he predicts. But I think zair is a great option.

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
Nair is a good option to shield pressure him and force them to make a bad move for a punish. Zair is another alternative I'll go for when short hopping so they don't roll as much. from my experience from fighting mario what I normally do is bait them in using cap when I use the paralyser (no charge) so when he begins to use the cape, he'll be open for a punish.

Simbada

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna post what I wrote about the match up and advice you watch Nairo vs Ally. ZSS vs Mario.

Mario:

Mario’s upsmash is his most viable kill move, grab to up tilt is optimal at low percents

Problems: Fire balls: can be canceled with a nair or perfect shielded, can be reverse short hopped over and counter with a nair, he can count next time by turn around grab, upair, or nair. I can dair instead after using a second jump then the game becomes 50/50 I can also reverse short hop below him to get a nair or up air. I can space an approach to perfect shield follow up.

Punishes: Mario can up air me after air dodging a second up air at low percents, can double jump to dair, fast fall reverse grab, possibly down smash, maybe upsmash. Can catch mario coming down with up smash.

Spacing: Best to be behind Mario and apply pressure that way, can bair twice in a row, reverse grab solves, so does full hop dair, spaced bair/nair, reverse b too.

It's not a lot.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Against Mario don't use your paralyzer as often try keeping him in the air and stay close so he can't pull of many hits plus time the paralyzer

tonyz723

Smash Rookie
Yup, paralyzer has its uses against Mario, but use it sparingly. Get used to the Mario tornado's range, you should be able to guess where it's gonna land once you get used to the match-up, and it can be downsmash punished pretty easily if you know he's gonna whiff. You can beat a lot of his grounded moves with downsmash too, just make sure you're spaced well. Depending on the flow of the match and how campy the Mario player is, powershield those fireballs! Seriously, get in your opponents mind, powershielding all of his fireballs is pretty easy to time, and it can make you opponent get impatient, forcing them to come in. Stay on your toes though, you don't want to get grabbed because you shielded too much. Get used to the timing of punishing Mario's back roll too, it's easy to punish on reaction, just dash attack it, it's definitely one of the easiest rolls in the game to punish. Zair is a good option when he's tossing out fireballs in the air, but you have to be careful, getting the full 6% off of the zair isn't easy, so you're likely to only be getting 3% per hit, which isn't worth it if you mess up. Finally, nair is one of the most important tools you have against Mario, if you're spaced correctly he CAN'T hit, or grab you. If you're missing too much then you might be doing something wrong, you should be able to more often than not land your nair on him. it's definitely the "right" way to play the neutral game. You've got more range than he does, take advantage of it.

After thousands of matches online and some tournaments, I've never struggled with Mario, you've got this! Good luck.

P.S. Sorry if this is written like each thought just popped into my mind and then I wrote it down over and over again, but that's exactly what happened =P

Top Bottom