• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Evil King Strategies

The Y-Guy

Smash Rookie
NNID
onealfam
3DS FC
0173-1370-1553
GANONDORF
An evil king of massive power and defense
A challenger very few newcomers can over throw
A monster of overwhel- Ah forget it, lets get to the point.
In my opinion, Ganondorf is one of the strongest characters and one of the hardest characters to defeat. If you're a newcomer to competitive, you likely know how frustrating this guy can be. He gets off a bunch of powerful attacks, forces you into devastating combos, It's hard to believe this guy is balanced. He likely IS balanced, they probably wouldn't release the game with Ganondorf being obviously OP, but he is still hard to defeat. (I find it strange I said we would get to the point above yet I still digress).

What do you do to defeat this monster who destroys all in its path?

Personally, I don't think it's about the powerful moves or such, it's likely about confusing and annoying him as I chip away at the beast. My most (and only) effective strategy I have is for little old Game & Watch. Because of G&W's strange dash attack where it has long range but he doesn't stand still, making it easier to get away, I just dash attack, then dodge back. The knock-back is enough to get him far enough away from me to charge and go strait into another dash attack.

I mostly am asking because the computer Ganondorf even on level 9 is WAY weaker then the ones you see on competitive (plus I suck at competitive in the first place).

Thank you for reading, have a nice day!

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
He's the sort of character that takes knowledge to beat, but said knowledge can sometimes cripple him. As G&W for example, his BAir and FAir are very hard for Ganondorf to cope with directly. The only thing he can do to directly challenge either is throw out perfectly-spaced FAirs, which isn't a good idea. Use NAir to juggle him and hit him under platforms, too. DTilt is a good way to keep him away.

In other words, from the sound of it, you charge Ganon like a rhinoceros with dash attack, and unless you're a character that's especially talented at such strategies such as Sheik or Falcon, Ganon's gonna toss your salad.

Here's the only G&W video I know of versus Ganon:

The G&W doesn't win, but he does a number of things right. The DTilts, NAirs to escape combos, FAir/BAir approaches, etc. Most importantly, note that he doesn't approach much. Granted, he got caught a number of times, but in general, the strategy works: don't approach, NAir to escape combos, DTilt as a "get away from me" move, space BAir, etc.

Know that Ganon has a really hard time approaching and take advantage of that. The MU takes patience for G&W. It may seem like he can still approach and be heavily rewarded for it, which is sometimes true, but if he approaches, he commits to a very laggy move, which means if you can bait him (which isn't hard to do to a Ganon, since we're always itching to side-b or landing a heavy hit), you get a nice chunk of damage. The important thing is to not let him intimidate you, but not letting him intimidate you doesn't mean rushing him down, necessarily, rather, be confident in taking advantage of his weaknesses, but don't pretend like his strengths aren't there, too.

Edit: A noteworthy alternative to not invoking the wrath of the King of Evil is unconditional surrender.

Last edited:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
If you play our own game against us, we have trouble.
We want to get in your head and condition you to make mistakes that we can capitalize on, so if you do the exact same then the dorf might have to eat some of his own punishment pudding.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
In the lower percentages (as in 0% low), Ganondorf can easily get stuck in u-titls. Characters like DK or Fox with quick u-tilts can down right abuse Ganondorf should he get stuck in it. It won't kill, but you'll stack up damage real quick.

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
In the lower percentages (as in 0% low), Ganondorf can easily get stuck in u-titls. Characters like DK or Fox with quick u-tilts can down right abuse Ganondorf should he get stuck in it. It won't kill, but you'll stack up damage real quick.
Mind you, as our damage racks up we become even more dangerous as the rage effect boosts our knockback, so unless our opponent can kill us early we can rapidly change the tide of a fights.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
Mind you, as our damage racks up we become even more dangerous as the rage effect boosts our knockback, so unless our opponent can kill us early we can rapidly change the tide of a fights.
Absolutely. I find a good wizkick on the fall helps too.

The Y-Guy

Smash Rookie
NNID
onealfam
3DS FC
0173-1370-1553
I actually decided to do a combo of KieRanaRan's strategy and Sykkamorre's strategy. Whenever he made a mistake, I punished him. As he ended up getting knocked back harder, I started to send him in the air with U-Tilts and U-Smashes. My first time winning online with Rosalina :D

Top Bottom