• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Edgegrabbing attacks with Shulk

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Thank you based Larry. This has always been something I've personally struggled with. Nice to know there are more options than spaced DTilt. I think spaced FSmash will probably be my go to option.

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Since most of those are punishable, what I try to do is Fair and then go for Vision. Fair is pretty fast and will go through their invincibility frames and then they'll try to punish it. Hence Vision.

Is anyone finding a particular Monado Art to be useful when Cold Steeling? Cold Steeling is when you grab the ledge after they grab the ledge and they're forced off and to the left.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Is anyone finding a particular Monado Art to be useful when Cold Steeling? Cold Steeling is when you grab the ledge after they grab the ledge and they're forced off and to the left.
It varies because different characters have different arc distances. I've had success with every MArt except Jump & Buster. Surprisingly I do well more with Speed & Shield because of the jump height decrease out of ledge-dropping > DJ >B-air, & while Smash B-air could be good I've never landed it. I was confused at first because I've never heard of Cold Steeling before, but knew about Ledge-Trumping.:p

Last edited:

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Usually the YouTube channels I see tournament play on (Tourny Locator or VGBootCamp) call it Cold Steel, but it's good to know the other term. Thanks for always being helpful Masonomace!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Air Slash works when spaced, but it's also punishable. A well planned out Bair can hit them too, since it goes under

Most commonly, I either use down tilted F-smash or Dtilt.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
If you can knock your opponent off the ledge once or they drop down and lose their invincibility once they regrab it, do a down angled fsmash just as their about to grab it for the most hillarious ko they'll never expect (only at higher percents obviously) unless you're poor Little Mac

Not sure if this is exactly the same idea, but it still punishes someone on the ledge: activate Jump, jump past them as if you're about to try and stage spike them, and quickly jump back onto the stage as they come up from the ledge and use whatever move you see fit. I've done this multiple times to get an fsmash off at higher percents for the kill or just go off stage and gimp with Jump, since it's already activated.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'd like to believe myself that I've done a SH > FF > B-air with the front portion of the hit-box & hitting them while they're ledge-hanging, but, I can't say I remember doing it. (I thought I did recently but dunno)

Last edited:
Top Bottom