• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti-Counter move or glitch?

_Sheik

Smash Lord
I was battling a Cloud on For Glory with Lucina just this morning and something threw me off for a second. For the record, I'm gonna be talking about a move he did that I couldn't precisely see since my eye twitched, but I noticed that he took a step forward as he triggered it, which made me think it was either his Side Special or his Side Smash attack.

So yeah, he did that - I countered with Lucina at the attack's first frame (since it would be either a 3-hit or a 4-hit chain move), and it should have launched him pretty far because it seemed powerful and we were both at 80% damage. However, Lucina's the one that got launched backward as if the move had slipped through the Counter.

So what do y'all think? Do the KYO thing or his side smash attack have an anti-Counter effect? Or could it have been a simple glitch?

Zalezus

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zal3zus
From what I've noticed, if a counter isn't really quick it will only negate the first hit of Cross Slash. The only thing needed for Cross Slash to continue is a hit confirm, and the other hits come out really quickly. The same case is with his forward smash.

I'm guessing if your character doesn't have access to temporary "counter invincibility" you'd get beaten out by both of them after countering the first hit. Noticed this with Ryu's Focus Attack: if I could hit him 2-3 more times his super armor is broken. Shulk seems to be the exception, since his counter slows you down and he's invulnerable.

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
If it was his side smash and you countered his first hit you probably hit him but since the first 2 hits of his side smash don't deal knockback it didn't effect him.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
There was a gif I linked to on Facebook, lemme go grab it. Happens to Shulk too. It might be deliberate but I feel they'll patch it out. It's simply the speed at which the hits of his FSmash link.

EDIT: nvm it was a video but if anyone wants to see it PM me and I'll send it to you somehow when I get home tonight. It's even done in slow motion to show the wonkiness.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
L
I was battling a Cloud on For Glory with Lucina just this morning and something threw me off for a second. For the record, I'm gonna be talking about a move he did that I couldn't precisely see since my eye twitched, but I noticed that he took a step forward as he triggered it, which made me think it was either his Side Special or his Side Smash attack.

So yeah, he did that - I countered with Lucina at the attack's first frame (since it would be either a 3-hit or a 4-hit chain move), and it should have launched him pretty far because it seemed powerful and we were both at 80% damage. However, Lucina's the one that got launched backward as if the move had slipped through the Counter.

So what do y'all think? Do the KYO thing or his side smash attack have an anti-Counter effect? Or could it have been a simple glitch?

Isn't Cross Slash 2nd hit frame 2?. I would bet you can't really counter this first hit since the 2nd one hits so fast afterwards.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Were we talking about that or Cross Slash? Because I thought there was a tossup in the discussion.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Cloud's Fsmash causes him to reduce his hurtbox, so its entirely possible that Cloud moved his hurtbox back after the first hit and the other two hits come out very quickly afterwards. So, counter's invincibility could have been beaten out. I noticed the same thing with Ike and Shulk vs. the same move. That is what I deduced, because it also seems to be dependent on spacing. If Cloud is close to the counter, I think the hitbox comes out on counter before Cloud hits the opponent again. Otherwise, it seems Fsmash situationally beats out Counter.

Top Bottom