• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anther Vids - Critique my pika

entY8

Smash Rookie
Advice: Play worse and do more obvious and blatant mistakes.
That way it'll be easier for others to give you real advice and you'll have an easier time improving :rolleyes:

DarkenedBrilliance

Smash Rookie
I might suggest moving more constantly. Pikachu's speed and unpredictability are both highly important, as often instead of directly attacking it is smarter to wait for an opening and then seize upon that opportunity, getting multiple strikes before moving back out and forcing the opponent to move how you want them to by spamming thunder jolts. Also, don't stand in one spot while trying to thunderspike someone, run and use it in the air wherever you predict they will be.

But then again, your playing style is your choice.

Veng

Smash Ace
I agree, I'm not very smart about spacing and that stuff when it comes to Pikachu, much better at it with Meta Knight because he's actually got some range to space with.

Veng

Smash Ace
true

get on the pikachat dude...

nvm im gonna go finish AVP

but so who do you main now? whats up with mk ( you said something about him earlier )

Exziron

Smash Rookie
wow, that was... ok... I know Anther can fight better than that... BTW do any of you's know where I can contact him? I'd like to vs him :D

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yikes, what happened to Anther? Is this a wifi match? I know he's better than that...

As for you, I'm no Pika master buuuut I would say you're using f-smash at rather inopportune times and you charged them too. Most people won't run into a charged smash attack and you got punished several times for it. Not to mention you get more knockback if you're hit while charging a smash attack. It's good to throw it out there if you think it might hit, but don't charge it unless there's a fairly high chance it will hit.

I'd also say you should grab a bit more, and when you do, don't always f-throw. Pika has a lot of good combo's he can do from a d-throw. F-throw is best for low percent combos like f-throw>dash canceled up-smash or doing chaingrabs.

I only saw one QAC too and it was only a QAC>thunder that didn't hit. You should be using it a bit more. It's one of Pika's best abilities. It can also help with combos too. Although, if this is wifi, I'll give you some slack since QAC is kind of a pain on wifi.

You only used Thunder a couple times too. It's great for ledge guarding and it probably would work out better than jumping out and attacking. Then again, you got some of the lame sets of platforms that go out over the ledge and a lot of the areas the platform took you to had walk-off blastzones so you can't really ledge guard, but it can still make a giant wall that they can't get passed (Anther did it to you several times). If it hits, it might even kill them, especially if it's a T2. Even if it misses it can easily get you a hit even if it doesn't connect since most opponents are focused more on getting past you and away from the blastzone rather than attacking 'cause it can be troubling being that close to it. You might even get a kill since walk-offs are good for low percent kills if you land a high knock back move. A more difficult option you have at a walk-off is a b-throw, but you'll have to land a pivot grab or actually let them past you first. (This little section mainly turned into walk-off strategies. :p)

You seem rather good with saving the n-air for killing as well up-smash which should be one of your better kill moves since you didn't save f-smash (Which you don't always have to do. It's really up to you if you want to save f-smash for the kill or for spacing) You're also very good with the d-tilt and use it pretty effectively. F-tilt as well actually. You should use up-tilt a bit more though, since it's another great move for combos. Your control over tjolt seems pretty decent as well.

Overall I'd say you're pretty decent, but a little predictable. Much less predictable than other Pikas though. I'm just saying it can't hurt to mix it up a bit. Pika excels at being unpredictable cause he has so many different play styles. Just utilize more of his techniques like QAC and do more combos since they're one of Pika's strong points. Move around a bit more and try to use everything in Pika's arsenal rather than the same similar strategies.

I could just be giving you useless information that you already know seeing as it's obvious you've been around for a while now and are in that High Voltage Clan. That probably means you've already studied Pika quite a bit by now. Also, my post count/join date probably isn't giving me much credibility either. Judging from that video in particular though, there's some things you could improve on. Don't get me wrong. Your Pika is great, but critique threads are for pointing out things you could do better. It might be worth mentioning that I nitpick at a lot of things. However, if that's wifi, you're probably 10 times better than that anyway sooooooo... Meh... Just ignore me if I'm being useless. I'm only trying to be helpful. :p

EDIT: I watched a few more of your fights and I'll say that your use of F-smash in most of them were much better. I still think you could do more d-throw combos and QACs though. You used more u-tilts too, which is good, again, because of combos. :D Your way of edge guarding works very well even without thunder, so you're doing fine at edge guarding, but it can't hurt to throw one in every once in a while.

EDIT EDIT: I just noticed that this thread is rather old. It just got bumped by Exziron, so I didn't notice. Oh well. A little late critique doesn't hurt. :p

Unrelated to Veng:
I will always main pika lol
mk is a secondary i use for......marth
Eeeeew... MK...

wow, that was... ok... I know Anther can fight better than that... BTW do any of you's know where I can contact him? I'd like to vs him :D
http://www.smashboards.com/member.php?u=23987

That's his page. That's the only place I would know to get a hold of him.

Top Bottom