• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Roy's combos inconsistent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I've seen some videos and saw a few things in the thread. Seems he can link his jab and DThrow into FTilt, UTilt, Uair, etc., right? Not all the time. Even buffering DThrow into Uair doesn't always combo, as I learned against a Bowser Jr. player. In fact, most of the time I get punished as Roy is when I'm going for something that should be a combo, but isn't.

I'd like to find a list of Roy's true combos, as well as roughly what percent they stop being combos. Perhaps a low %, med %, and high % category. The only other thing I can do is manage to follow certain attacks, such as FThrow, into a dash attack, but that's only because people aren't teching them properly.

Roy's combos seem to work effectively against heavies, but I've been fighting characters like Luigi and other small ones for a good part of the night. It seems, more than anything, that Roy's combos are character-specific. I can't seem to have any true consistency across the roster for combos that work.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I believe it's the same with other characters. Some are just harder to hit than others. For instance, you can't grab Pikachu out of a B-Air. Pikachu's hurt-box is also very small and it gives the taller characters a more difficult time hitting him. With these characters, just experiment with what does work and what doesn't. Don't quote me on this, though. I'm just a scrub who wants to help ;-;

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
There are three things that come in factor when talking about combos on a character : weight, hurtbox size and falling speed. With variations in those stats will come variations in the trajectories.

Add to this your rage effect, the staleness of your moves, the percentage of your opponent and his DI and you get a lot of variables that will make combos true or not.

PS : I'm actually trying to make a combo list for Roy but the more I try to make it reliable the harder it becomes to get clean numbers.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Many of Roy's Throw combos aren't true, however, because he has a plethora of them, it keeps the opponent guessing and allows you to be able to follow-up. Plus, if they airdodge you can just Fsmash or do a Usmash.

knu_OOKA

Smash Cadet
NNID
ukah19
3DS FC
5370-0495-9774
All of Roy's throws are weight dependent. Check for yourself. Do any throw on Jigglypuff and buffer shield, then try it on DK. You should notice a significant difference in when you can act out of the throw. Heavy characters can act out of Roy's throws a lot faster than light characters. So heavy characters are harder to combo, but their large hurtboxes usually make up for it, except in rare cases, like Bowser Jr. (heavy, small hurtbox). My rule of thumb is dthrow for heavys, fthrow for lightweights, and a combination of the two for everything in between. Reading DI can also help with conversions from throws.
Like teluoborg said, there are A LOT of factors in competitive play that contribute to making "practice mode" true combos fraudulent. Remember that competitive Smash is a TWO player game, so wait and see what your opponent might do after you throw them or hit them instead. Roy benefits a lot from good reads and fundamental play.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Well here's a combo starter is Fair witch can be turned into down a into grab(thrown downwards thou)then into up smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom