• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Roy Boys I need Roy Advice, Please read...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smesty

Smash Cadet
Hey all,

So a little backstory, tonight I entered a small tourney and attempted to move from Roy to Sheik (Since I love fairing offstage and Sheik has a godlike recovery which seemed like a great change from what Roy taught me). However, with the lack of kill moves Sheik has to offer, I didn't take a single set off any other player, even those I consider worse than myself.

I find Roy good, but the moment I get offstage, I feel screwed because I get gimped out of upB by almost anything, I feel useless.

Not to mention I find the only safe approach in neutral to be SHFF Nair and Dtilt but I always seem to get shieldgrabbed out of it.

Help! Do I suck at recovery or am I missing something here?

TLDR : How do I not get shieldgrabbed in neutral and how do I recover without getting gimped??

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
I don't call myself the most competitively informed player, but you can "tomahawk" your opponent, which is basically forcing them into thinking you're going to do a SHFF N-air as you approach. Instead, you empty SH and grab them out of their shield. It's all mind games, really. And I still have issues with getting gimped as well, I usually just try to mix up my recovery as much as possible (recovering high, low, etc.) Someone might be able to answer this better than me, though.

Last edited:

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
Sadly i'm not that competitive to enter tourneys at my region, so i haven't found anyone to try to gimp me, or if the try i usually throw a F-air, so sadly i still can't help you with that.

so your neutral game, maybe you are getting really predictible, try getting a crossed N-air, so you would end behind them, instead of in front of them, make them do the first move and shieldgrab them or punish them, a delayed U-air is a great combo starter try mixing up your empty SH to grab or SH delayed U-air. Roy's grab game is amazing, doesn't have the best grab range, but the combos and mind games gives you a lot of options, for example a F-throw to B-air (Sorry i don't remember the %, also dependends on the character) does a reset that can follow up with a F-tilt or F-smash

Also D-tilts!!!...i have fought some Roy's and they forget totally of the D-tilts is great for poking and at low % can combo to a Dash attack, but try to hit with the tip so they don't shield grab you, i usually throw two D-tilts and that gets me out of the grab if they get it.

I just started working with Roy so that much help i can give you, hope is of any use.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Mix up your SHFF between Nair, Fair, and Uair to keep your opponent guessing and to keep your options from going stale.

As for recovering, try practicing and seeing how far you can recover from without a midair jump. After that, learn when to Blazer and when to use a double jump. Airdodges help against guys like Falco who can win by gimping, and can help trip up your opponent, especially if you're close enough to the ledge.

smesty

Smash Cadet
Mix up your SHFF between Nair, Fair, and Uair to keep your opponent guessing and to keep your options from going stale.

As for recovering, try practicing and seeing how far you can recover from without a midair jump. After that, learn when to Blazer and when to use a double jump. Airdodges help against guys like Falco who can win by gimping, and can help trip up your opponent, especially if you're close enough to the ledge.

One issue I do find is if a falcon is meeting me offstage from above with a stomp, I cannot air dodge it otherwise I cannot make the distance from upB if am forced to airdodge.

Flukey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1220-8509-1898
One issue I do find is if a falcon is meeting me offstage from above with a stomp, I cannot air dodge it otherwise I cannot make the distance from upB if am forced to airdodge.
I had this happend to me, but usually im able to get them of with a F-air and still be able to recover, you just have to get the timing right, air dodging against Falcon is really risky, usually it's what a Falcon wants.

If you are too low, but can reach the ledge with your blazer, Ph1r3 through them (again need a good timing)

Last edited:

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
I just try to get back to the ledge as quickly as possible. Practice using the more horizantal version of UpB, you can usually get to the ledge faster this way.

Other than that there isn't a lot you can do other than the usual anti-gimping tactics that have already been mentioned. Best thing is to keep your onstage game tight and avoid being put in this losing position in the first place.

Noe_TheSehxy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noe_TheSehxy
3DS FC
1392-7204-8668
For being off stage i recommend just running off, fairing, and after that just worry about getting your vulnerable ass back on stage, remember, you're not Marth. You cant fair 5 times and get back, not only do u have a fairly bad recovery, but u have the opponent trying to beat you and gimp you. Basically, dont go too deep.

Zephil

Smash Ace
Roy is not an offstage heavy char so most of the time is better to try to go for a ledge trump or just stay on the stage to maintain stage control.

Sometimes a fair offstage may be effective but its risky and so is dair so its even a less effective option unless you are absolutely sure its going to hit.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
A pretty useful tactic offstage I've found is to look like you're ledge-guarding onstage, then just run off and F-air at the last minute (After you've done it enough though they'll start air dodging). That's the extent of off stage combat I'm willing to go with, so get your butt back to the ledge after that F-air. With luck (and speed) you can ledge trump and B-air them on your way back to the ledge.
Honestly, just don't go deep with Roy. Besides, his kill moves are so freaking strong that you can usually kill them onstage anyway without worrying about gimps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom