• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Punishing ledge regrabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
I cant seem to find a strong or reliable way to punish people grabbing the ledge without invincibility, specifically on the characters like sheik who don't really poke their heads above the stage, sometimes sour d tilt or d smash will hit but is that really the best option we have? i know against characters like charizard who poke their heads above the stage we can just sweet spot d smash for easy kills but it doesn't seem like we have any options against the others

Yaya Haider

Banned via Warnings
NNID
HeroYaYa
3DS FC
0490-6092-1077
Charging up Flare Blade then follow up with a forward smash as a fake out helps. When charging it up most people will get up from the ledge and try to attack, this is when you fake them out with a forward smash. Up smash is a good edge guarding tool as well, as it covers a alot of ground. Sometimes when you're not at the ledge, it's good to run towards it and throw out a up smash. Also grabbing them when they come up back on the stage works too, but if they player is good enough they'll catch on and spot dodge once they get back on to dodge the crab. This is when you mix it it up and wait till they spot doge and follow up with a forward smash, grab, ect.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Charged down smash is what I'd do, it should always sweetspot if you're close enough

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
If you know that there becoming invincible next ledge grab surprise them with a stage spike

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm pretty sure flare blade itself can smack hanging players. May need to charge a bit though.

Dagon97

Smash Journeyman
You can mindgame people to regrab the ledge and you can UpB them while their on the ledge, if they tech, bair. If they don't tech, they die at ridiculously %s unless their recovery is really good like :4villager:

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
Flare Blade DOES hit people on the ledge. It's definitely one of his best options in terms of killing potential, but in order to land it you need to space it perfectly. If you want to try it, I'd recommend let-go --> jump on-stage --> B-Reverse, but it's really inconsistent. I've only killed with it as a ledge punish once. D-tilt, D-Smash, DED (down) also works but like previously said, it's sourspot only so it kinda sucks. Last thing that comes to mind would be fall-off B-air (not sure if techable) or D-air spike.

...Would Blazer work as a stage spike?

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
...Would Blazer work as a stage spike?
It seems like it would be. According to http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Blazer, it's a pretty reliable stage spike:

"As a side effect, because of the first hit's lower set knockback, it can no longer KO the lightest characters at 0%; however, due to the attack's new knockback angle, it is one of the more reliable stage spike attacks, especially due to its multiple hits and ability to drag opponents towards the sides of the stage. Blazer deals 5 hits for a total of 16%, and begins KOing middleweights at 120% on the stage if aimed up, even earlier in midair. The apex of the move also gains more hitboxes there unlike the Melee version, allowing the attack to deal more hits and have a longer lasting hitbox overall."

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Part of fsmashes hitbox also goes slightly under the ledge if spaced right. I usually use this if they're in a position where they have no choice but to regrab. If whether they regrab or not is up for debate, I usually throw out something fast like dtilt so i can cover another option if i guess wrong.

1337Kai

Smash Cadet
NNID
1337Kai
Down smash, down tilt, fire blade (neutral b), and side smash all work for ledge punishes. Out of all of them, down smash is the most consistent for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom