• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Getting Used to Spacing With Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
Hello all. I've been maining Marth in Brawl and in Sm4sh for a while, and I plan on getting Roy in the next few days. I'm so used to spacing with Marth, that the few times I've used Roy at a friend's house, I keep getting the spacing mixed up. Are there any tips to getting used to the spacing switch between him and Marth? Any help would be appreciated.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Your Marth experience will probably help your Roy game a bit since you want to space Tipped Nair/Dtilt with Roy in Neutral other than that it's probably just lack of Roy playing time, I'm sure once you buy him and use him regularly the switch between him and Marth will become second nature.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Your Marth experience will probably help your Roy game a bit since you want to space Tipped Nair/Dtilt with Roy in Neutral other than that it's probably just lack of Roy playing time, I'm sure once you buy him and use him regularly the switch between him and Marth will become second nature.
I actually disagree. Roy's spaces with similar moves but definitely not in the same timing/same way.

Before jumping in, just try and get the spacing for neutral jumps. You want to hit with the edge of your sword for nair and dtilt, but for some of your other neutral tools like fair, you actually want to hit at the edge of the sweetspot to maximize your safety. Roy's sweetspots reach out further than you might think. Marth doesn't really land with his fair or nair as much as Roy does.

The timing for fastfalling after you start your aerial is much different than Marth too, so practice trying to hit with the lowest parts of fair and nair, fastfalling at the fastest opportunity. Marth doesn't throw the moves out of his jumps as fast as Roy usually does. And, even then, Roy's approach is focused more on threatening with empty hops instead of throwing hitboxes out all the time.

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I got Roy a few hours after making this post in the first place. It has been a bit easier than I thought it would be to learn the spacing since I've actually used him a little (mostly just sweetspot spacing, not move spacing or anything). I guess I just need to work on timing and range with his aerials and tilts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom