• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] Dthrow to Up - B?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Is Down throuw to Up B a true combo at any point with any character? my opponent seems to only be able to air dodge it sometimes, and its bugging me that I dont know.

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman
Eh... It all depends on DI and percents. If your opponent DIs to escape the Up-B, follow them with an aerial. Sometimes it won't even combo and your opponent will air-dodge. Condition them to do this and charge an F-Smash to hit them. If they air-dodge and DI behind you, it can sometimes be easy to react to this. You should honestly only use this option as a mix-up, though. It's nice to catch people off-guard with it when you've been using other combos. Also, you can edit your post. c:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
IMO there are way better options out of Roy's Dthrow then throwing out a Blazer that most likely won't connect, Fthrow has some pretty good options too.

I would only use Blazer OoS tbh.

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
IMO there are way better options out of Roy's Dthrow then throwing out a Blazer that most likely won't connect, Fthrow has some pretty good options too.

What better options would you consider out of dthrow?

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
Eh... It all depends on DI and percents. If your opponent DIs to escape the Up-B, follow them with an aerial. Sometimes it won't even combo and your opponent will air-dodge. Condition them to do this and charge an F-Smash to hit them. If they air-dodge and DI behind you, it can sometimes be easy to react to this. You should honestly only use this option as a mix-up, though. It's nice to catch people off-guard with it when you've been using other combos. Also, you can edit your post. c:
Yep, figured out I could edit it right after I posted it. If only I could delete my post under it :4wario::4wario:

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
Dthrow>Jab>DED is my go to option at low %'s, Dthrow>Uptilt or Dthrow>Jab>Ftilt are ok options too, It basically depends on what character you are fighting.
This. Also worth mentioning are Dthrow>Uair if you know they're going to try to jump away from the Utilt or Jab. Fthrow has its uses too, though the only good follow up I know of (if they don't tech) is DED. Really haven't messed with Bthrow so if anyone knows anything about that that'd be appreciated.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I personally use Nair to punish Air Dodging at early %s. Then if they're conditioned enough, I go for the Grab/Blazer OoS if they attempt to attack.

At worst, the opponent will jump away, and the match resets to neutral.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if it's a true combo, but it seems to be around kill percent for a few characters, mostly fast fallers. For example, it doesnt seem like marth can escape it around 110-115% ish and it kills him. I use it online in that matchup for kills all the time, they don't seem to be able to dodge or jump in time even when they know it's coming.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Dthrow is generally speaking inferior to fthrow. Fthrow will always guarantee you at least 20 percent until kill percents. Dthrow is only good in certain matchups imo.

To answer your question, Dthrow will true combo into blazer at low percents, and at kill percents if they don't DI in (some characters wont die to it though as the blastzone is just too high). If they DI in, dthrow is useless. Fortunately, if you think they'll DI in, you can mix them up with Fthrow, as if they DI in from Fthrow you can get a forward air or something at really high percents and possibly kill them.

Also, this should be clarified. Dthrow into blazer will also work as a 50/50 mixup. While it won't register as a combo on the combo counter, up B will catch a lot of characters around 115 unless they airdodge. That is to say, it beats trying to attack on the way down and it beats trying to jump out. If they air dodge, and you know they're gonna airdodge, then you can bait it and punish with a fair or something. Note that the percent at which it will eat their double jump is generally pretty small. It's around that 115-120 area give or take though.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet

Can you go into a little more detail about this? I find myself whiffing or getting punished. I don't know if I'm just mechanically too slow or what. Also I like throwing a blazer out first, I think I probably have a 70% success rating with it, then often it'll be an air doge the next time which can be punished with a neutral air. Every once and awhile you'll get someone that air dodges early or late and lands right in front of you for an fsmash.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Dthrow is generally speaking inferior to fthrow. Fthrow will always guarantee you at least 20 percent until kill percents. Dthrow is only good in certain matchups imo.

To answer your question, Dthrow will true combo into blazer at low percents, and at kill percents if they don't DI in (some characters wont die to it though as the blastzone is just too high). If they DI in, dthrow is useless. Fortunately, if you think they'll DI in, you can mix them up with Fthrow, as if they DI in from Fthrow you can get a forward air or something at really high percents and possibly kill them.

Also, this should be clarified. Dthrow into blazer will also work as a 50/50 mixup. While it won't register as a combo on the combo counter, up B will catch a lot of characters around 115 unless they airdodge. That is to say, it beats trying to attack on the way down and it beats trying to jump out. If they air dodge, and you know they're gonna airdodge, then you can bait it and punish with a fair or something. Note that the percent at which it will eat their double jump is generally pretty small. It's around that 115-120 area give or take though.
Holy crap really? Everything I've read/heard until this post endorses dthrow over everything else. What you're saying makes a lot of sense though. Is it just fthrow to fair? This is going to take some muscle memory remapping...

meemoo

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2879-0639-8952
I use dthrow at kill percents to scare people into air dodging and punish the air dodge with a blazer

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
I use dthrow at kill percents to scare people into air dodging and punish the air dodge with a blazer
This works great if you condition them at lower percents to expect a d-throw, up-b. I don't usually like to use up-b in low-to-mid percents, but rather save it for higher percents when the kill potential is higher and the move is fresh.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Holy crap really? Everything I've read/heard until this post endorses dthrow over everything else. What you're saying makes a lot of sense though. Is it just fthrow to fair? This is going to take some muscle memory remapping...
Yeah, it's true. Dthrow is only even usable against light weights to be honest. All of Roy's throws are affected by weight. Just try and dthrow into blazer a heavy guy at like 70+. It will always be airdodgeable. Fthrow is far safer, far more guaranteed, and arguably puts you in a more favorable position to keep pressure on your opponent.

The only time I really even use dthrow is for these specific scenarios
1. When I'm trying to get a kill with blazer. Vs lightweights and some middleweights, as long as your opponent doesn't DI in, you can create a 50/50 mixup with blazer, where it will hit them if they attack or try to double jump, but miss if airdodge. If you expect the airdodge, you can punish the AD with blazer, or another aerial. This is fairly similar to Sheik's 50/50 kill setup, the only difference is Roy stays on the ground instead of jumping up, and it doesn't work if they DI in. You can get them on a DI mixup if they want to DI away from your f throw. Condition them with f throw to do this.
2. At very low percents vs characters with sub-frame 5 aerials. If they don't have a fast, long reaching nair, dthrow can combo into jab, which you can setup for another grab with, or an fsmash or whatever. Works better on fast fallers for obvious reasons. I often do this with my first throw of the game, but after that I usually stick with f throw.

In just about every other circumstance I'll just fhtrow them and then nair (or DB if they are heavy/fall fast enough) since this is guaranteed regardless of DI. I won't use any other throw really unless I'm trying to mix my opponent up or if I'm doing something weird.

As a final note, obviously I will sometimes use up throw if I just can't get the kill and they're at +170%.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's an overrated combo for me and I don't see it as being a true combo. What I prefer is the down throw to neutral air combo or sometimes a forward tilt.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I've been messing around with Dthrow more, found out at early percents Dthrow -> Jab -> Fsmash is a good string as it beats out airdodges and eats the second jump for some characters. At mid percent, go for the FH Nair to eat up the jump and fast fall it to punish air dodges. At kill percents, Fthrow is a better option as it can set us up for a potential Bair jab lock or, for the more inexperienced players, string into Dash Attack or DED.

However, Fthrow into DED does work at low percents, provided they don't tech. If they do tech roll towards you, however, Wavebounced Flare Blade can get them off guard. Try and mixup Fthrow and Dthrow to keep your opponent guessing

Pherae77

Smash Cadet
It can't be DI'd out of at low percents. What I don't yet understand is how some characters seem to be able to airdodge and some can't. For example, if i'm playing as Roy against another Roy and he downthrows to blazer me, I can't airdodge in time. Other Roy's can never airdodge in time when I do it to them either. For certain other characters however, they seem to be able to airdodge in time.

If you're at a low enough percent that they can't DI enough, and it's against a character that can't airdodge in time (it seems to typically be fast fallers, but not always), it WILL ALWAYS hit, and it's one of his best options out of d-throw. If it's against a character that can airdodge in time, then you're going to want to think about your options a little more because you might miss.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Regardless if it will always hit or not it just seems like a very bad combo to me. You'll just retsart to neutral, whereas when you do dthrow > jab > ftilt/side b, or fthrow > nair/DED, you'll get good damage AND stage positioning.

At later percents it doesn't even work.

I don't understand why people seem to love this combo so much.

Pherae77

Smash Cadet
Regardless if it will always hit or not it just seems like a very bad combo to me. You'll just retsart to neutral, whereas when you do dthrow > jab > ftilt/side b, or fthrow > nair/DED, you'll get good damage AND stage positioning.

At later percents it doesn't even work.

I don't understand why people seem to love this combo so much.
Because it's easier and 30 quick damage, while doing all that might get you good damage as well, it's harder to pull off.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I wouldn't call it a "true" combo, but it's something easy to do when you start learning the character (it's what I used early on). It's a decent way to rack up damage, but there are probably better grab combos with him. I need to play him more.

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
It's pretty much a matchup dependent combo that works decently well at lower percents against the heavier characters.It's not a terrible option, but just don't do it too much cause it's escapable with proper DI and at higher percents. If you want a true combo, the aforementioned Fthrow into Nair is pretty good until a fairly high percent. It's very good and pretty much gets your opponent to the ledge, or at least close to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom