• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another Year: Smash 4 Results at EVO 2016

A year of storylines led up to the largest tournament in the game's history. Super Smash Bros. Wii U, the second grand finals event at EVO 2016, has concluded and with it, another year of the game in the world of eSports.

This being his third attendance at the annual Las Vegas-based tournament series (previous ones being 2009 and 2015), Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce (:4mario:) won his first EVO ever. Running through a bracket stacked with threats like Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura, who defeated him at Pound, he's also won his second major of the summer, Get On My Level 2016 being the first.

Smash 4 Results @ EVO 2016:
1st - Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce (:4mario:)
2nd - Takuto "Kamemushi" Ono (:4megaman::4yoshi::4cloud:)
3rd - Gonzalo "TSM | ZeRo" Barrios (:4diddy::4sheik:)
4th - James "CLG | VoiD" Makekau-Tyson (:4sheik:)
5th - Hayashi "Ranai" Ryuto (:4villager:)
5th - Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura (:4mewtwo::rosalina:)
7th - Samuel "dT | Dabuz" Buzby (:rosalina:)
7th - Larry "eLv | Larry Lurr" Holland (:4fox:)

For more coverage on EVO 2016, stay tuned on Smashboards. Credits to Lyric (@emformz) for the images.

Last edited:

Comments

The thing is, if you watch 2015 evo and compare, I feel like this year his movement/timing and just overall performance was better yet he did not win. Kamemushi's megaman is top level, as a diddy main I find a good megaman is really hard to get through. Maybe it's just me but idk.

Here we go, here comes all the Mario salt, and the "Nerf Mario" comments.

Mario winning things now isn't because he is overly powerful; Ally has been using Mario since the game released. The simple fact is that Ally has improved immensely over the past 6 months or so (that, and the fact that Sheik no longer exists in the form she used to).

Mario is great; he has overall good mobility, great approach options, great combo potential, and can be annoyingly tough to punish at times.

Even then, Mario has flaws. His below average damage output keeps his combo game from being oppressive, something that made Luigi's combo game relatively unfair pre-patch, for example. His poor range gives him particular trouble against disjoints such as Cloud, and in particular, Marth, as these characters can both outrange him, or use quick sword pokes to keep him safely at bay.

Mario's biggest flaw however, is that he has no reliable KO setup like most top tiers. He must rely on landing that raw KO move, like Back Air or Up Smash to net the KO. Sure, his invincible head Up Smash can be annoying, he has to fish for it, and the opponent knows it's coming, making him predictable.

Mario is a fantastic character, but is definitely in need of NO nerfs. In fact, no character in the game really needs nerfs right now. It's hard to determine who exactly the best character in the game is. There are at least 4 characters on somewhat the same level, and an argument can be made for each of them.

That's what makes Smash 4 so exciting. The overall level of balance near the top makes impossible to predict what matchups we will see at the top of tournaments. Sheik v ZSS? What about Cloud v Diddy? Even now, we had Mario v Mega Man. The character diversity is also beautiful to see. 14 different characters within the top 16 of Evo.
Mario's Up Smash does need a nerf, though. The thing is absurd, stupid and ridiculously unfair because of how fast, strong and safe it is. If they want to leave its raw KO power, fine, but give him more ending lag so you can punish him in case he whiffs. It's ridiculous when you see things like that and then you see others like Palutena's Down Air having a stupid amount of ending lag. It makes no sense.

Mario's Up Smash does need a nerf, though. The thing is absurd, stupid and ridiculously unfair because of how fast, strong and safe it is. If they want to leave its raw KO power, fine, but give him more ending lag so you can punish him in case he whiffs. It's ridiculous when you see things like that and then you see others like Palutena's Down Air having a stupid amount of ending lag. It makes no sense.
It's things like this that make me laugh. Mario's Up Smash has been virtually the same for games now. If you want to go into the specifics, it KO's around 5% earlier than it did in Brawl, it's that similar. On that basis, the move was considered fine before. Why is it suddenly, when a character starts winning things, do people haggle for nerfs?

Never before in the lifespan of Smash 4 have people said "Oh, Mario's Up Smash needs a Nerf". Ally has been playing Mario since release, and optimised Up Smash about a year ago (the reverse kind). Why now, when Mario starts to get some momentum, do people start calling for nerfs? It's ridiculous.

I could perhaps consider nerfs if Mario had setups into his KO moves, but he doesn't, and the simple fact is that Mario has to fish for kills. The fact that Mario's main KO moves all put him close to the opponent also means that if he whiffs (whiffs, not hits a shield), he is open for punishment. It's not like a sword user who can attempt to hit from a distance.

Last edited:
In C3's defense, he's asking for a minor tweak in terms of ending lag. That's it, he's fine with it's power and fine with it's speed but it's a little too safe an option. There's probably going to be an all nerf patch that hammers the high tiers with stupidly safe moves, such as Mario. But otherwise don't make Mario unplayable just tweak that one move and we'll all be the happy go lucky world we are.

In C3's defense, he's asking for a minor tweak in terms of ending lag. That's it, he's fine with it's power and fine with it's speed but it's a little too safe an option. There's probably going to be an all nerf patch that hammers the high tiers with stupidly safe moves, such as Mario. But otherwise don't make Mario unplayable just tweak that one move and we'll all be the happy go lucky world we are.
I highly doubt there will be another patch now. It's already been 2 months since the last one, and the fact that that only nerfed Bayonetta only solidifys my point that the balance team are through with patches.

I think there's a solid reason why Mario hasn't been touched at all in general in patches so far, but, I digress. Mario's Up Smash is virtually the same as it was in Brawl. On top of that, Mario's KO power is already below average because he has to fish for KO's.

Not until Evo, in all the major tourneys I've seen not once has Kame's name came up. That's why I assumed that this unbelievable Megaman was an entirely new player. How do you know him???
Dude he was the best player in Japan before EVO due to the fact that he won 3 Japanese majors in a row, and consistently made top 8 at them. He definitely is the most consistent, and best player in Japan as of right now.

I just say that since lately it's been all Diddy, or ZSS, or Shiek, heck even Mario pops up every major tourney final he gets, Those top tiers all have a very significant chance of appearing in a final at every tourney that comes to mind even the minor tournaments.
Are you joking??? ZSS has been suuper falling off recently, she was absent from top 8 at both CEO and EVO. Seriously, what tournaments have you been watching in the past 2 months where ZSS has had good results? Just shows how ignorant you are.

ZSS a Failure, not good results, past two months??? Since when did she started sucking tournament-wise??? I guess we're so use to seeing her she starts to become predictable I don't know. And I guess I'm not the brightest bulb in the chat room cause that's news to me... But my point still stands usually it's the top tiers that run the whole show with Abadango's Mewtwo, Kame's Megaman, and Larry Lurr's Fox thankfully being the only exceptions in this case.

Last edited:
ZSS a Failure, not good results, past two months??? Since when did she started sucking tournament-wise??? I guess we're so use to seeing her she starts to become predictable I don't know. And I guess I'm not the brightest bulb in the chat room cause that's news to me... But my point still stands usually it's the top tiers that run the whole show with Abadango's Mewtwo, Kame's Megaman, and Larry Lurr's Fox thankfully being the only exceptions in this case.
"Top tiers run the show. Mewtwo and Fox are exceptions"

I interpret your words as "Mewtwo and Fox are not top tier"

Okay bud

No their not top tier but their certainly not bottom tier either. Both are good characters really good but like Bowserboy said with Corrin they're not as fantastic as we think. I may be a ditz, but I know a thing or two about both of their statises Larry plays an unbelievable Fox, Abadango an unbelievable Mewtwo, if only more players could make these not-as-great-as-we-initially-thought characters into absolute gods. Look at what Hungrybox did with Jiggs in melee (Off topic and pointless right? go on you can say it and rub my ignorance in me face I know you want to).

Thanks to what Hyuga did, my dad thinks I should stop maining Toon Link.

Not gonna happen, still working a ton on my bombs.

This is exactly what I meant. All I'm asking for is increased ending lag, that's it. It wouldn't be fair if he completely lost one of his few KO options.

On another topic, whoever denies that Mewtwo is high tier at the moment is just lying to themselves. He's obviously top 15 at the least.

Last edited:
Thanks to what Hyuga did, my dad thinks I should stop maining Toon Link.

Not gonna happen, still working a ton on my bombs.
Just convince him that you're looking up to Zan now. Sure, Hyuga's definitely better as Toon Link, but Zan's still the best Tink in the US and has no controversy surrounding him ATM.

Wasn't at all exciting to me. Simply Ally bodying Kame with his stupidly better character. It's not like Kame could do anything anyway when he just died from invincible usmash @110 everytime and couldn't kill Ally til like 190 with a grab. And on top of that Ally could kill Kame with a grab @160, totally boring to watch when it was so obvious who was going to win. The second ZeRo went down I thought "well, looks like Ally will take this for free" & that's what happened. Disappointing.
Keep talking, your salt is delicious.

Oh hey, it's One of the people who brought me to the competitive scene.
The first competitive match I ever watched was M2K vs Ally in Project M at KTAR 8 and god it's great to see him kicking ass and taking names in Sm4sh. Great Job, Ally. :4mario::ike:

Lol you said balance what is that. if it was balanced we woulnd need patches. Melee is still a more solid game. (satire dont go off on me i agree with you)
Tbh Melee only has 10 characters that can win and the gap between characters like Bowser and Fox is huge. I don't see that in Smash 4. Melee is still amazing though. :)

Just convince him that you're looking up to Zan now. Sure, Hyuga's definitely better as Toon Link, but Zan's still the best Tink in the US and has no controversy surrounding him ATM.
Good point. I mean, if you dig deep enough, you could find something wrong with at least one person who mains every character.

Tbh Melee only has 10 characters that can win and the gap between characters like Bowser and Fox is huge. I don't see that in Smash 4. Melee is still amazing though. :)
Or any of those ten vs Pichu. Melee is a load of fun but very hard because of how quick paced it is. Which is why I stick to 4, but why can't you see a gap in it, shouldn't there be one with say Cloud against Zelda?

Oh and by the way, can someone tell me what Hyuga did with detail? I know he got drunk and stuff but everyone's talking about the horrible things he did, like what, did he punch someone or something?

He apparently ***** a female streamer... not live of course, really its just one horrible stupid thing but after that he may never compete again. The idea that he was drunk might explain how he did it. What would happen if ZeRo did something like that????? Wait no even he wouldn't do that though he was feeling salty about a loss at CEO

true but at least when you go to a tournament the formula to win is to beat fox. like with smash 4 i cant really set my game play around a specific character being the meta that the game revolves around. still love the game tho

well, all these people hating on mario even though the second mario player Anti got 33rd, be happy that we got a way more balanced game than melee and that the top 8 had so many different character.

be happy that we got a way more balanced game than melee and that the top 8 had so many different character
Are you insane??? I aint gonna be happy til a Corrin main wins this goddam thi... I'm just kiddin, I'm happy this game is nothing like melee, but I'd be happier if a Corrin won a major tourney, heck a tourney for that matter!

Last edited:
Are you insane??? I aint gonna be happy til a Corrin main wins this goddam thi... I'm just kiddin, I'm happy this game is nothing like melee, but I'd be happier if a Corrin won a major tourney, heck a tourney for that matter!
well there isnt enough corrin representation right now, i main lucas and its like the same thing, its too bad the Lucas from Japan didnt get that high.

Lucas meh he's okay he's just more in your face and slow is all. Him I can understand, but hardly any Corrin mains? Its really good maybe they tend to overlook its potential (I know it should be they but who cares) I should know I'm a Corrin main and did well myself with it.

Top Bottom