• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another use of the falcon punch.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
A successful Falcon Punch is rarely seen in tournament, and that is why it is such a novelty. But it can be used for more than just disrespect, but not that much more. During a match, when your opponent is offstage and performs their recovery, if you can tell that they recovered too high, you can punish them during their landing animation with a Falcon Punch. This works well at lower percents, where the knock back of the Falcon punch would give you an advantage you couldn't get with other attacks that early in to the stock, but if you're at KO percents, a down smash would be better because you don't need the low percent knock back advantage of the Falcon Punch when the down smash will also guarantee a KO.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Or you can just knee them, and be safer and better set up for conversions (or a kill) than a move that comes out frame 52 would ever be.

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Or you can just knee them, and be safer and better set up for conversions (or a kill) than a move that comes out frame 52 would ever be.
Well the Falcon Punch provides an advantage early in the match that other attacks don't have. At higher percentages it would be better to use different kill moves, but the Falcon Punch is really the only attack where you can get this advantage.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
You can't really call it an advantage. You can't follow up Falcon Punch at all, so if they're at low percent, you're guaranteed a better punish with more BnB stuff.

Plus, if you miss it, expect to eat a lot of punishment if your opponent is decent.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
You can't really call it an advantage. You can't follow up Falcon Punch at all, so if they're at low percent, you're guaranteed a better punish with more BnB stuff.

Plus, if you miss it, expect to eat a lot of punishment if your opponent is decent.
You wouldn't need to follow it up if they are KOed.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
I thought you were talking about using it at lower percents, when it wouldn't kill.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Then you could just fsmash. Less punishable, with better knockback growth.

But I see what you're saying.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Falcon punch is a hard read on a lazy recovery.

Any sweetspot recovery just dodges falcon punch entirely, also gives them an eternity to punish your miss.

This isn't even factoring in recovery stalls, recovery angles, and shortened recoveries.

Since you're basically relying on your opponent to mess their recovery up really badly and trying to hit them with a ridiculously high option, I'd say falcon punch is still nothing more than a disrespect tool

Lord's Falcon punch setups are pretty good though vs. Sheik/Falcon

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Falcon punch is a hard read on a lazy recovery.

Any sweetspot recovery just dodges falcon punch entirely, also gives them an eternity to punish your miss.

This isn't even factoring in recovery stalls, recovery angles, and shortened recoveries.

Since you're basically relying on your opponent to mess their recovery up really badly and trying to hit them with a ridiculously high option, I'd say falcon punch is still nothing more than a disrespect tool

Lord's Falcon punch setups are pretty good though vs. Sheik/Falcon
Notice the OP where I said that it isn't used for that much more. I'm not saying you should just throw a falcon punch out all the time. And notice the part where I said "during their landing animation."

Last edited:

Be_Happy

Smash Rookie
This is actually a great place for conditioning to come into play. As long as you have made it clear to your opponent that you can and will hog the ledge every time they are off stage, eventually you can fake it and catch them with a falcon punch coming onstage. Classy.

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
This is actually a great place for conditioning to come into play. As long as you have made it clear to your opponent that you can and will hog the ledge every time they are off stage, eventually you can fake it and catch them with a falcon punch coming onstage. Classy.
Thank you! It's really all about spacing.

Astherath

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about the idea of implementing Falcon Punch into the regular flowing play style. I mean yeah sure you can, but the risk v. reward is NOWHERE near good. Why risk taking a huge punish with a character who practically dies in one hit? Or, as Sky Williams said it: "Just Don't!"

Why not just stomp --> knee? or even fsmash? or dsmash, or raw knee, or grab --> techchase for % or etc.

I see where you're coming from, but it's the equivalent of saying that kirby can win a supermajor. Like uhh, yeah sure he can but why not just play fox or falcon?

I mean, just don't.

Pick the better option.

In any way,

Good luck!

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... I don't know how I feel about the idea of implementing Falcon Punch into the regular flowing play style. I mean yeah sure you can, but the risk v. reward is NOWHERE near good. Why risk taking a huge punish with a character who practically dies in one hit? Or, as Sky Williams said it: "Just Don't!"

Why not just stomp --> knee? or even fsmash? or dsmash, or raw knee, or grab --> techchase for % or etc.

I see where you're coming from, but it's the equivalent of saying that kirby can win a supermajor. Like uhh, yeah sure he can but why not just play fox or falcon?

I mean, just don't.

Pick the better option.

In any way,

Good luck!
I didn't say its some new technique that guarantees a win, its just another use for the attack, but it does require a lot of strategy. As a Marth main (Falcon, Dr. Mario, and Falco secondary), spacing is nothing new for me, so I know when to use it.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
The only real advantage that I can see Falcon Punch having over any grounded moves is that you can start it mid jump, and you can also reverse it. In this way you can edgehog-> double jump towards stage-> reverse Falcon Punch. Also, as Twinkles said, Lord's Falcon Punch edge guards are a thing of beauty

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
The only real advantage that I can see Falcon Punch having over any grounded moves is that you can start it mid jump, and you can also reverse it. In this way you can edgehog-> double jump towards stage-> reverse Falcon Punch. Also, as Twinkles said, Lord's Falcon Punch edge guards are a thing of beauty
This is the melee thread ._.

タオー

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1146-8863
This is the melee thread ._.
FOOL, YOU CAN TURN AROUND FALCON PUNCH IN MELEE. JUST LIKE YOUR CAN TURN AROUND LASER WITH FALCO.

Edit:
Sorry for the attack. You preform it by tilting the opposite direction you are facing while airborne. I personally preform it by doing the "flick the stick" pivot motion, followed by B, it's a relatively frame tight maneuver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom