• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another topic about nerfing

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
First, let me get this out of the way. I like how he plays. I enjoy seeing Jcaesar and Oracle using him in battle. He is fun, does a lot of combos, and is a good gimper. With that being said, I feel that he still needs some tuning. He has way too many recovery options. He has a total of 5 jumps if you use his up special, plus momentum from his dair, and he can also aerial dodge, like jigglypuff, but he is the 3rd heaviest character in the game; he shouldn't have so much defense in comparison to the rest of the cast. I think it is toxic to the project m environment because his recovery is ridiculously good My suggestion is to keep his up b with 2 jumps. Most of the time when I see Jcaesar combo opponents, he doesn't use his 3rd up b jump. because it isn't needed. Recovering will still be fair as he can use dair for the extra boost as well as his fair for attacking opponents who try to gimp him. The 3rd jump just feels unnecessary as other characters don't have a recovery as good as his. In the most recent match I saw, it took sheik 5 fairs and 170% damage to take Rob's first stock. It shouldn't take that long for a fair as powerful as sheik's. I know I am going to get hate for this, but it is something I would like to be discussed.

Oracle

Smash Master
Robs recovery is pretty bad at top level. We get away with it now bc nobody plays rob but not getting any recovery back from getting hit is a serious weakness. This is balanced by the huge distance he travels.

Rob basically needs no changes at this point besides maybe a few tiny tweaks

The Depths

Smash Rookie
Robs recovery is pretty bad at top level. We get away with it now bc nobody plays rob but not getting any recovery back from getting hit is a serious weakness. This is balanced by the huge distance he travels.

Rob basically needs no changes at this point besides maybe a few tiny tweaks
This. His recovery is totally edgeguardable. If you cover options properly and react to his boosts then he just runs out and dies. Its true that his recovery is pretty versatile when he has a lot of height to work with, but you can still wait on his descent and try to cover landing options obviously. Marth, sheik, and other characters known for their option coverage while edgeguarding, characters like D3 or even fox, are especially good at finishing Rob off. Rob's recovery is comparable to melee samus's in the sense that while it takes a lot of patience to edgeguard, it can still often be done in a methodical way. Also, Rob is highly susceptible to sky KOs, which gives you another way of killing him.

Also, is ROB really the third heaviest character in the game? I would imagine that quite a few characters, Bowser/DK/D3 for starters, are heavier than him. Correct me if I'm wrong though. And I hardly think having a strong recovery is toxic to Project M when most characters have had their recoveries improved. Good recovery is not that uncommon in this game. That being said, the only character who has a bit of a wack recovery right now is Ivysaur.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
ok, I will test that out. Yeah, samus does have a really good recovery now that I think about it. I didn't know about the star KO. Well now that I know that, I don't think he is as invincible as I thought.

SpaceJello

Smash Apprentice
i feel the same way about robs recovery being really good. as a ness main, when i play against a rob, i can d-air him 2 times off stage and he is still able to come back. sometimes even 3. its quite ridiculous

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
i feel the same way about robs recovery being really good. as a ness main, when i play against a rob, i can d-air him 2 times off stage and he is still able to come back. sometimes even 3. its quite ridiculous
Honestly, after playing more project M since then, I realize Rob's recovery isn't as good as I initially thought. Actually, I tested everyone's recovery and compared them to the melee top tier character: fox mccloud. It seems that half the cast actually has a worse recovery in terms of distance, and the other half has their own weaknesses in their recovery. Like for example: as ness, you could use pk fire and as he tries to recover, you can hit him and waste his first jump. When he does his 2nd jump, you could then dair him, and return to the stage, while rob: having only one jump, won't have the distance to make it on time.

Top Bottom