• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another salty post about roll spamming

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
So I consider myself at least decent at this game. I know pretty much every character, and how they work, and I can usually stand up to the majority of people who play the game in for glory.

But what I don't understand is, how come when I go up against a person who only knows how to roll to the side of the stage, and spam their projectiles, I can't beat them? When I go up against any of these people and lose to them, it brings my confidence down to an all time low. Even if I can telegraph them and try to work around their roll spamming, I still cannot hit them for some reason. It's just... infuriating, and at the very least it's stopped me from playing for a bit.

To me this feels like the the same deal as losing to a person who just button mashes at any other fighting game. It's stupid and predicdable, but when you still lose to that person, it makes you feel like ****.

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
It's still a tactic, so you have to try harder. Rolls are very punishable tho

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
its just all the four year olds who can't find out how to press any other buttons so they press the gamepad triggers instead
It's a legit strategy. If you can't beat it, then why would they stop doing it? That's like telling someone to stop shielding because you don't know how to grab. All you have to do is anticipate their rolls the punish.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the quality of the connection it is hard to get in and punish that stuff just do your best to beat it.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I've noticed spamming short jumps forward to then try to bait them by jumping in front of them usually works, they screw up with a forward smash or something, and I just have to punish them from there.

If they roll away, the only thing I have to do is to run with them and dash attack, it usually hits.

But I play Palutena so I got the reflect ability, so it's usually them that have to approach me.

yogo540

Smash Rookie
Depending on the quality of the connection it is hard to get in and punish that stuff just do your best to beat it.
I never play a second game if the connection is bad. Basically, those games "don't count" in my mind.

Spamming projectiles, like any other spam strategy, has weaknesses that can be exploited.

My first guess is that they aren't able to handle themselves when another person is in close proximity. Or they are bad at leading an attack.

Coaxing/forcing them into an uncomfortable situation is your best bet.

Last edited:

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
Or you can start spam rolls yourself. That actually surprisingly effective against some rollers

D

Deleted member

I take that this is online, correct? The lag really gets to me, even if its only a tiny amount it messes me up. But as a Sonic main, its especially infuriating against Link/Samus because they can spam projectiles at the edge and roll. I can't do anything about that because the lag mistimes my shields, dash attacks/dashing USmashes to punish rolls/endlag on projectiles, and makes me use different aerials sometimes from what I assume is lag not registering the direction of my aerial and using whatever aerial my control stick points in to move next.

Basically, For Glory is not a good way to judge skill, and if you mimic them to win you're just ruining your offline play. Lag + FD only really opens up to some cheap strategies for the situation that can barely be punished because of mistimed inputs while the opponent just has to use the same 3 moves from a distance that are really safe. And when they see you approaching, they roll to the other side of the stage. The lag makes it much harder to punish rolls coupled with the fact that they move, and you've got a problem. If you've played For Glory teams against a Link + Heavy hitter you know why For Glory is filled with underhanded tactics that only work because of lag and bad rules (FD only + no team attack).

Last edited by a moderator:

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
I did not meant mimic them, but use their "strategy" against them. That will frustrate them and they most likely will quit(for good, hopefully)

Itty Bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Itty Bit♪
3DS FC
2878-9679-6999
I appreciate all the advice you have all given me, and I've gotten back into playing again. I saw a few videos about dealing with extreme defensive play, and it's helped me out a little bit, albeit still somewhat frustrating to fight against those kind of people..

I just wish I could get out of the mindset I get into when fighting people using such cheap tactics. I know getting frustrated affects people's games, and part of the reason I lose to them so much is probably me just getting impatient and frustrated when it starts happening. Keeping a cool head is just hard, sometimes.

Top Bottom