• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

another dumb noob thread...

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
this is sort of a stupid question, i guess but, i've been trying to pick up melee in the past week. i've been diagnosed with severe depression/anxiety, and there are possibly other undiagnosed illnesses i deal with. my personal situation is pretty bad. i've been trying to use melee as a way to get out of my own head (which is a struggle in itself). i consider myself to be fairly intelligent but, idk, i can't seem to focus and practice consistently and am just really frustrated at how awful i am at this game. i am playing on a keyboard but, i can't even beat cpus consistently, or practice tech. (maybe it's just that i don't have any extra energy to work on things that don't come naturally to me?) anyway, i know it's hard to tell without seeing me play or knowing me personally but generally speaking but do you think real life concerns should significantly affect player focus? or is it just an innate lack of talent (lol!)? i know some smashers must deal with mental illness. how hard do you think i should be on myself?

also i know i should be using a controller but i'm not factoring that in, that's not rly the issue

Last edited:

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
My incoming answer is going to be completely unrelated to smash, but as far as Melee I think it's the last thing you should be doing right now. Especially practicing solo, you have nowhere else to go but in your head and the frustration of such a game (especially using a keyboard) would only compound as you don't meet your own standards or expectations.

When I'm feeling the way you are right now or in general when I get a bit indifferent about the world I go back to the roots.

I go do something that makes me feel more human and go places that make me feel more in touch with the Earth and Nature instead of the facade that is technology and "civilization". I go to a local park, go hiking, camping (cook over a campfire), mountain biking, fishing, swimming at the lake or ocean, etc.

Even if when you're doing that stuff alone you're still in the presence of all the beautiful wildlife, insects, birds just going about their lives. It usually helps reset me and I'm able re-focus on how great it is just to be lucky enough to be alive and well, everything becomes more enjoyable and you realize what you need to appreciate.

I also recommend volunteering. Being selfless and helping others (especially animals) is the single most rewarding and mood changing activities and you get to work with people who are so pleasant and affable it's contagious . If you do things only for yourself and have nothing else to focus on but yourself that can very easily spring forth issues and cause some preemptive diagnoses or excuse that will only snowball.

Meek_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1134-9016-5234
i've actually been thinking about volunteering to help animals lately!

anyway, that's a little hard to hear but you're probably right

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
i've actually been thinking about volunteering to help animals lately!

anyway, that's a little hard to hear but you're probably right
Yes just to help you balance and perhaps get you out of your funk. Play Melee whenever you like, it can be very fun even just practicing. But when you get frustrated or aren't in the groove; like with anything, you might just have to take a step back and then return recharged.

Also Ganondorf, Puff, and Sheik can be fun characters to learn initially. They don't have that crazy high bar to entry or tech skill that can be off-putting.

Last edited:

Segnifs

Smash Cadet
Efficient focus is built with practice and yes you should try to eat a little healthier, so you'll have some extra energy to spare. I usually listen to peaceful music if going through a rough time, i use a keyboard as well, personally i prefer keyboard over controller faster inputs on a good gaming keyboard. Fight low level cpu's level 1 - 4 until you can consistently do tech stuff then you can move up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom