• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Annoying Characters

neoKAIzaints

Smash Rookie
I'm new to the smash community although I've been playing the games since the 64 days. There are obviously spammy characters like Pit or Metaknight but I just discovered that Link is considered a "cheap" character and I've been maining him all along! Now I feel like I should change my main to someone not considered cheap... But I wanna know which characters to avoid that are maybe not immediately apparent.

TL;DR

What characters in the roster are considered "cheap" or "spammy" by the community?

Lichi

This is my war snarl
You should not give a damn about what people think is spammy and lame.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Most people that complain about any character being cheap, will continue to complain about any other character they don't know how to deal with as being cheap if they consistently lose to said character. I know this for having dealt with these type of people before.

Pick the character that best suits your playstyle and let the whiners whine.

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Duck hunt being able to hold shield with work with his projectiles shuts down any other projectiles, which is stupid.

Sonic is annoying but I don't think he's cheap or broken. I don't know what to do against him and so much of his stuff is safe or requires much more effort to shut down than it is for him to put out, but he's not fun to face.

Little Mac requires the game to be played hyper defensively and changes the game from being back and forth to trying to gimp or die. People switching to Little Mac after losing and suddenly winning is just... Come the **** off of it.

Solarman

Smash Cadet
In my opinion this game is very well balanced. The only characters I find borderline broken are :4sheik:and:4lucario:. Sheik has power, speed, combo ability, good recovery so pretty much nothing wrong with her. Lucario has that aura buff that makes him scary good at 100 or more. :4yoshi:Might have fit in with the other 2,
but his recovery is a lot more predictable. But I have managed to get around a fair number of them. I'm 3-5 with Lucarios 4-8 with Sheik and 3-5 with Yoshi using Megaman.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think Lucario is pretty cheap. I don't know to deal with him :c

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
No characters are necessarily cheap and spammy by design (except for DHD, **** that character, it was just designed for trolling). It's all in how the players handle their playstyles with each character they pick. A spammy player will spam, a cheap player will use cheap tactics.

dragonologist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0920-1138-8009
I just hate facing Greninja and Sheik, they are always very problematic for me.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Only character that's ever really made me feel like "wow X thing they can do is cheap as fuuck" SO FAR is Zero Suit Samus. Her attack range is super annoying to me........

Unless I'm using greninja. *_*

But I don't wanna just use greninja.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I gotta say I hate:4lucario: the most. When the end of the battle comes they only know how to spam :GCB:

I also hate :132: matches.

Kokusho

Smash Apprentice
Little mac is annoying as hell because he totally disrupt how you have to play to the point that it doesn't feel good.

PizzaGuy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1289-8286-7485
Wow didn't expect to see :4duckhunt: hate. I haven't really fought any online yet, for some odd reason...

I find Little Mac to be most annoying for me. Especially on Gaur Plain when they sit under the top platforms and UpB anyone unfortunate enough to get knocked over to them for an instant KO.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Jigglypuff.always gives me trouble lol, little Macs are 50 /50..... either they utilize his hits in a smart and controlled style, or they spam and whiff all over.....often (to my immense delight) sideB'ing at the wrong distance from the edge, plummeting to their unavoidable doom.

Lucario and Greninja haven't been much trouble yet, Idk if I have been lucky or if the players do not main them.

Zelda, she ways pwns me more often than not. Her reflect ability really gimps my a arrow game

wingo

Smash Apprentice
I'm new to the smash community although I've been playing the games since the 64 days. There are obviously spammy characters like Pit or Metaknight but I just discovered that Link is considered a "cheap" character and I've been maining him all along! Now I feel like I should change my main to someone not considered cheap... But I wanna know which characters to avoid that are maybe not immediately apparent.

TL;DR

What characters in the roster are considered "cheap" or "spammy" by the community?
Change your main.

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
If you want to compete, then don't worry about it. If you just play friendly with your buddies, then I know what you mean! It's never fun to go up against someone that's figured out just that "thing" they can't break.

I haven't played many real people that weren't Little Mac online, so it's hard to say, but I can definitely see Duck Hunt and Rosalina being mega annoying.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
I see Mac regularly but Idk why everyone seems to play against an insane amount of Macs lol maybe once you get up to a certain skill level they become more prevalent? Just a guess

Last edited:

Square

Smash Rookie
I don't think the problem is cheap characters; it's more about the player. Adapting to the gimmicks seems to be the best way to beat them but that can prove to be difficult in a two stock match. Also, it can feel annoying for newcomers since it is very difficult to improve at that level. When I come across a player using "cheap" tactics, I tend to keep fighting them until I figure out how to beat them so that the problem does not arise anymore (since they tend to keep playing and stick to the same character when they win).

Rakurai

Smash Ace
People who spam falling down B specials in For Fun are aggravating.

I make it a note to pick a strong character who can punish them hard for it in hopes that they'll learn their lesson.

MightyTro

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-4767-9238
I don't think the problem is cheap characters; it's more about the player. Adapting to the gimmicks seems to be the best way to beat them but that can prove to be difficult in a two stock match. Also, it can feel annoying for newcomers since it is very difficult to improve at that level. When I come across a player using "cheap" tactics, I tend to keep fighting them until I figure out how to beat them so that the problem does not arise anymore (since they tend to keep playing and stick to the same character when they win).
Likewise, I don't mind getting my ass handed to me by some weird tactic, because then I can just drop the serious mode fighting and try different things to see if I can get a look in.
Especially if you're playing a character like Jigglypuff. You need to try to find a clear way in to get a rest, or line up the side+a smash or up+a smash, or set up an aerial juggle. I already acknowledge that I'm probably quite easy to bait into whiffing a rest, and that my accuracy needs a lot of improvement.

Punkdaz

Smash Rookie
I've been practicing using Mega Man and originally had trouble against certain opponents like Little Mac, Duck Hunt duo, Meta Knight and Pit to name a few.

I just had to adapt and learn new strategies to overcome them!

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet

TL;DR

Just use who you like. Who cares what others think?

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
I have problems with mostly Robin, Shulk and Lucario. They are so annoying, OP and strong. Bowser is ****ing crazy too but he's big so easy to hit/grab/outrun. I have problems with different characters when playing online or against CPU. Mii Sword Fighter is insane.

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
Game is pretty well balanced from what I can tell, but there are a couple of characters who are just plain annoying to play against. Projectile spammers like duck hunt and bowser jr. namely, for me.

Hitokiri_Ace

Smash Rookie
Really.. just haven't had to many bad encounters with annoying players/characters..
A hyper spammy egg-tossin' Yoshi, a DuckHunt or 2.. and a Pac-Man (probably more that I just don't ever see people play as them). It's just kinda lame when it turns overly campy.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
The only thing I find annoying is the players that over-rely on their rolls. I mean these kids roll from one corner to the next its super annoying and surprisingly hard to punish due to the nature of rolling in this game. Just rubs me the wrong way and usually speaks volumes of their skill level or lack thereof.

Cho

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-2392-8423
The only thing I find annoying is the players that over-rely on their rolls.
This. (even though I tend to do this myself, when I'm panicking. . . . - I'm sorry)

But I'm kinda surprised how much hate Little Mac gets. Unskilled Macs should be pretty easy to punish, right?
Makes me feel bad for wanting to learn him :S

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
In my personal opinion, Duck Hunt is pretty dang Over Powered. I understand how to use him and can play him decently... its just he DESTROYS anything.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
People who spam falling down B specials in For Fun are aggravating.

I make it a note to pick a strong character who can punish them hard for it in hopes that they'll learn their lesson.
I played a Yoshi who would, without fail, return to the stage with a ground pound every time I knocked him off. Made for some fun punishes, but still.

Naeroon

Smash Rookie
I'm sure I'm forgetting some examples here, but the biggest thing to tick me off that comes to mind is characters with counter moves. They last so long and the move can be used anytime, anywhere. It's so safe, if you're getting messed up and get even just a split second, you can counter, completely restoring your footing in the match as well as knocking the enemy back+doing damage, giving you a chance for a solid counter attack. And I see people spamming it all the time. How do you follow up combos against this? It's like you can only get in a few solid hits and have to forcibly retreat for fear of counter turning the tides.

DHD's projectiles annoy me probably more than any other characters projectiles, but even then I'm not TOO annoyed by them.

Fought one obnoxious as hell Rosaluma that made me a lot more frustrated than it probably should have. Can play so defensive and can keep you at bay with little effort. I'm not really calling it anything more than annoying, although in my personal experience, it feels one side is forced to input more effort to stay on top.

Top Bottom