• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analysis of Capt. Falcon's Custom Specials

whatsoup

Smash Rookie
So today while my computer was running a disk check for hours, I decided to finally unlock my main's custom moves. They're pretty interesting, so I wrote down a bunch of details to hopefully help me and any other Falcons who are interested in using these moves in tournaments which allow them.

Important notes: All moves were performed against a CPU Bowser in training mode, refreshing the match after every move to get rid of staling. I chose a heavy character so kill percentages could be compared more accurately. The kill percentages I gathered were the lowest possible that knocked the Bowser offscreen on Final Destination from his starting point. Obviously, it wasn't using DI or anything else to alter his path, so take the percentages themselves with a grain of salt, they are only meant to be compared to one another. So here we go.

--Neutral Specials--

Standard 1: Falcon Punch

Damage: 25%, 28% reversed
Kill %: 84%, 70% reversed (both at point blank)

Standard 2: Falcon Dash Punch
Coverage: Slides about 40% across Final Destination
Damage: 20%, 22% reversed
Has a sour spot at the end of the dash that goes as low as around 13%.

Kill %: 88% at point blank, as high as 200% depending on the distance from Bowser when starting the attack
77% reversed at point blank, as high as 170% depending on the distance from Bowser when starting the attack

Standard 3: Mighty Falcon Punch
Damage: 22%, 25% reversed
Kill %: 100%, 84% (both at point blank)

--Side Specials--

Side 1: Raptor Boost
Damage: 9% grounded, 8% from the air
Coverage: Boosts about 45% of the way across FD
Kill %: 139% from the ground

Side 2: Heavy Raptor Boost
Damage: 12%
Coverage: Boosts about 30% of the way across FD
Kill %: 105% from the ground

Side 3: Wind-Up Raptor Boost
Damage: 8% grounded, 7% from the air
Coverage: Boosts about 45% of the way across FD
Kill %: 155% from the ground

--Up Specials--

Up 1: Falcon Dive
Damage: 12%
Reach: Medium
Kill %: 181% from the ground

Up 2: Falcon Strike
Damage: None
Reach: High
Kill %: None

Up 3: Explosive Falcon Dive
Damage: 10% then 15%, hits for 25% total
Reach: Low
Kill %: 95% from the ground

--Down Specials--

Down 1: Falcon Kick
Damage: 11% across, 24% if hit from above and both hits connect
Coverage: Kicks about 60% across FD
Kill %: 144% if hit from point blank, 305% if hit from max possible distance.

Down 2: Falcon Kick Fury
Damage: Hits 5 times for a total of 11%
Coverage: Kicks about 50% across FD
Kill %: 193% if all hits connect (i.e. hitting from point blank)
196% if only last hit connects

Down 3: Lightning Falcon Kick
Damage: 12% across (from point blank), 18% if hit closely from above (can paralyze)
Coverage: Kicks about 65% across FD
Kill %: 185% if hit point blank, 479% if hit from max distance

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I thought Falcon Strike had a hit-box, being the blue stuff on top of his helmet when recovering upward? He loses the grab-box, but it's more anti-air-ish opting Falcons who recover from low more of a reason to now.

Xanru

Smash Rookie
It should be noted that Heavy Raptor Boost has super armor on the punch itself, seemingly until you recover from it.

Bralef

Smash Cadet
Huh, so Mighty Falcon Punch deals LESS damage and knockback? That's unfortunate.

whatsoup

Smash Rookie
I thought Falcon Strike had a hit-box, being the blue stuff on top of his helmet when recovering upward? He loses the grab-box, but it's more anti-air-ish opting Falcons who recover from low more of a reason to now.
Just discovered this in a tourney match today actually, will update.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't think any of his specials other than Falcon Punch should be replaced/ need to be replaced.

I mean, the multi-hit Falcon Kick would be okay because shield pressure, but I still like the normal one better, and the better range falcon dive is alright, but I like punishing people who stand over the ledge with normal falcon dive, that and I actually use it offensively/ defensively enough that I wouldn't want to lose it.
The other raptor boosts just aren't as good as the original. :x

Weeman

Smash Crusader
The Lighthing Falcon Kick is the best option, simple because it can actually be used for recovery.
Falcon Strike's additional height can be useful.
All of the Raptor Boosts are considerable.
None of the Falcon Punch custom are good in my opinion.
But seriously if custom moves are ever allowed, Lighthing FK should be a most on every Captain.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
First there was a Captain Falcon religion provided by a church somewhere out there.

Now there's Captain Falcon anti-spyware to DownLoad for my game-play computer.:shades:
The Lighthing Falcon Kick is the best option, simple because it can actually be used for recovery.
Falcon Strike's additional height can be useful.
All of the Raptor Boosts are considerable.
None of the Falcon Punch custom are good in my opinion.
But seriously if custom moves are ever allowed, Lighthing FK should be a most on every Captain.
Lightning Falcon Kick follows up to the electrifying Knee of Justice, the coincidence is not simply coincidence.:shades:

Last edited:
Top Bottom