• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Analysing Sonics SideB and DownB differences. (IN PROGRESS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
(EVERYTHING HERE IS MY EXP ONLY, FEEL FREE TO ADD)

SideB
  • SideB can now jump around freely during the charge up animation, allowing for much more mindgames to be implemented into Sonics playstyle, and also helps him get around annoying projectiles and still have a good combo option for when he gets in close. Do NOT go off stage while jumping around, you WILL die.
  • SideB seems to only hit one time before it launches the opponent for a good combo option (My preferred options are FAir and UAir)
  • Sonic CAN still cancel the charge up animation at any time he pleases with the press of a shield.

DOWNB (I dont use this much so I might need some help)
  • Sonic can no longer cancel the charge up animation with a shield nor can he longer cancel the actual dash with a shield, HOWEVER he can still cancel the charge up animation completely by just not tapping the B button.
  • DownB seems to hit a few times before eventually launching the opponent into the air for a follow-up combo
  • (Not sure if this is just me) DownB seems to be a lot harder to jump out of this time around.
(ALL I HAVE SO FAR, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT BELOW OTHER USEFUL POINTS AND LETS HELP OUR FELLOW SONIC MAINS UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCES)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
  • Sonic CAN still cancel the charge up animation at any time he pleases with the press of a shield.
Sonic can't cancel it if it's already fully charged.
DOWNB (I dont use this much so I might need some help)
  • Sonic can no longer cancel the charge up animation with a shield nor can he longer cancel the actual dash with a shield, HOWEVER he can still cancel the charge up animation completely by just not tapping the B button.
Sonic could never cancel the charge animation with shield. He could only cancel Down-B's roll if it was from an ASC (Aerial Spin Charge). The only cancel Down-B had was ASCSC, meaning that spindash had to be released in the air and touch a platform or the stage in order to shield cancel it.

Myself and others included have already initiated this analysis in other threads, mine included, in far more detail. Please refer to them.

I tried collecting most of the data within my own thread as well as adding my own findings and research.

http://smashboards.com/threads/soni...side-b-and-down-b-more-in-development.371222/

:093:

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I noticed you can cancel the side b charging into a grab with the grab button.

Doing it with down b makes him jump while spinning instead.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Just started messing around with Sonic.

Did you guys know you can do a small sliding standing grab by inputting Side-B -> Shield -> Grab one after the other instantly. If done correctly/fast enough you should hear Sonic's side-B charge SFX but you shouldn't be able to see either the charge or the shield come up (if done slowly you will probably see either the charge start or the shield come up), all you should be seeing is Sonic doing a standing grab while sliding just as much as he would from a running grab. (Maybe a little more, I haven't tested the distance of the slide).

Also is this useful in any way? It feels outright better than doing a running grab or dash cancelled grab. It seems to have less lag and cover very slightly more distance but I can't really tell. Can anyone tell me if it's useful once you guys check it out?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yes. We are aware of this already as it is a returning feature from Brawl.

Please refer to the stickied threads for more information in regards to the differences between Side-B and Down-B.

:093:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom